BlueRidgeBBQGuy

Delivery questions?

I live in north Georgia mountains and when the UPS truck drops off the Kadado, it would need to go up 6 steps to get on the porch.  Does the delivery people do this? I know these are weight heavier than the eggs we have so myself and Kathy won't be able to lift it up.  Just need to figure out how this works before I Order.

Looking forward to getting one of these smokers!

Those types of questions are why this Forum exists. Ask away here.

What size KK are you thinking about? That will be a major factor in how best to move it to its new home - size and weight.

Also, is it a straight pathway from the dropoff point to the final spot? Is it level other than the steps? Will it need to go through doors or fence gates? Is the pathway paved?

Your delivery person is almost assuredly NOT going to move it to your final spot, given your steps. If it were a straight pathway with no major obstacles, you can sometimes tip them extra to use their pallet jack to move it for you.

the hilly part of my driveway is paved, but its 85ft from where the paved driveway stop to the steps. Rest is all gravel.

I'm getting the 32 big bad.. 900 pounds!  Not sure that is safe for the deck, so if deck is not an option would have to go on concrete slab in the back of the house is probably 200-250ft  from the paved driveway (ie drop off point). Dennis said you can use 2x4's and roll the crate 8ft at time.  If I take it to the back of the house the gravel starts to be slopped and not flat. 

Hmmm.. this is complicated.

Edited by ImmersionFD

to roll one of these cookers, you do not use 2"x 4" boards.
you would use plywood.

for a 32, I would use 3/4" thick plywood. it comes in 4 feet x 8 feet sheets.

you will need two sheets. 

put one in front of the crate, at the ramps edge (ramp is part of the crate). roll cooker onto plywood.

put 2nd sheet of plywood at far edge of 1st sheet of plywood. roll cooker over onto 2nd sheet of plywood.

move 1st sheet to far edge of 2nd sheet and repeat the roll and move plywood sheet process until you arrive at your desired destination.

if you are moving uphill with the leap-frog plywood sheet process, you should have two, or more, wedges to place behind each caster to prevent it from rolling backward when you stop actively pushing it uphill.

with the 32" cooker, I would definitely enroll the assistance of two folks who are capable of pushing the 900+# beast CAREFULLY. you cannot man handle this.

And definitely do NOT pull it by the lid handle.

• Like 2

A 32KK is a lot of mass but they roll easily once started.  While three people might be easier, I don’t see why 2 committed folks couldn’t move it to your back area. While you can use two pieces of plywood, I’d probably use three or four so you don’t have to restart the rolling as often (mass, inertia).

• Like 2

Some good advice. I don't know of too many folks that have tried to move a BB32 up that many steps, but it's gonna be a bitch! I moved a 23 up 7 steps, using a ramp, and it took 5 of us!

At least 3 sheets of 3/4 plywood for the gravel part. Your wife would be a good choice to leap frog the plywood. Once you get it rolling, inertia is your friend. Recruit at least one other person to help.

Not meaning to insult your intelligence, but for a BB32, you should remove all the accessories from inside the KK, except for the firebox. Every pound helps.

I had my deck specifically fortified where the KK sits when I had it built (again, it's a 23), so I like the idea of putting your 32 on its own pad on the ground versus a standard deck construction. I seriously doubt that your homeowner's insurance will cover the cost of rebuilding the deck and replacing the KK if it collapses. 

• Like 1

I rolled a 32" down a slightly sloped sidewalk and regretted doing it myself. I'm 6'5" 220 and I was grunting to keep it on the concrete.

That sloped area looks like it will need some slight leveling, someone piggy-backing plywood, and more than 2 big guys.

That's just my opinion. Once it starts rolling, you aren't stopping it on a slope and I don't want to see your new grill down that hill. Measure and see if the crate will fit and use a pallet jack like someone else recommended if able.

Better yet, if you can, pay a bonded company and make them do it. That is not going to be fun.

Best of luck!

Jayson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taking it to the rear ground area should be manageable.
2, or 3 sheets of ply for the gravel.
I’d keep it boxed and use a jack. It’s easier to grip and manoeuvre while boxed, and it’s protected against bumps.
Level the area as best possible( so it doesn’t steer towards the retaining wall and down the hill).
3 strong guys plus 1 to leap frog the ply.
Take it steady and there should be no worries.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My best friend and I moved my BB32 from my garage over a small patch of gravel and then about 80 ft. Of grass using two sheets of 3/4 inch plywood

We had to take two sections of fence down and go through my neighbors yard. It was a chore but well worth it. I think two friends would be well worth it to help you. You can cook them something on it after it’s set up, then they will think it was well worth the effort. Oh yeah my friend and I were 75 years old when we did this. Good luck and welcome to the KK forum. Also we like pictures plenty of pictures of your uncrating,move and first cook. 

• Like 2

Absolutely move it while still in its shipping crate using a pallet jack.  On sloping ground, pump up the jack just enough that you can move it, keep your hand on the hydraulic release, and drop it back down before the works get rolling too fast downhill.  I moved our 21" by myself, burping it down a slope, leapfrogging sheets of 3/4" plywood.  But at twice the mass, you might want a second pair of hands helping.

• Like 3

Second all the mentions of plywood sheets.  I used two to move my 23 by myself, and returned them to Home Depot when done.  But the ground was almost completely level over gravel and grass.  If I had any slope like yours, there’s no way I could have kept it from sliding where i didn’t want it to go alone.  Getting it off the pallet alone was the scariest part, and I almost didn’t make it. I never would have tried a 32 alone.

Good luck!  And take lots of pictures.

Edited by AJR