tekobo

Small ads: Don't have grill, will travel.

I asked if I could cook a brisket over at our friends' house yesterday on my old 21.  Here is everything that I had to take over to theirs.

IMG_7978.thumb.jpeg.a4891674b5970f39ff464c1064ec859d.jpeg

Packed up for the short walk to their house.

IMG_7979.thumb.jpeg.b4f80357a7e9a40f3c347d763fa66c2b.jpeg

The brisket came out well.  No pix but I do have the point and am planning to make burnt ends very soon...

• Like 6

Not as cunning as you think.  We ate all of the brisket flat at their house and took two bottles of wine and corn and potatoes from our plot.  And I am pretty sure they will be round here for burnt ends later this week.  It is really good fun, making cooking on a KK a shared thing and not just that magic thing Kemi cooks on in the garden.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Tekobo after selling your two KKs are you going to get another one?

Yes I am Bruce.  Three, in fact.  They are in production and Dennis kindly sent me some progress photos last week.  It'll be a while before they actually arrive here in the UK but I am enjoying the anticipation.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have to ask what 3 you're getting? I'm finalizing my order for my first KK. I went with the 32 so that I could make room on my patio by getting rid of my offset smoker, and my Vision grill which is housed in a table that is falling apart. I feel like this will give me the cooking space that I had on my offset but with better temp control and then all of the versatility that i had with my Vision.

• Like 5

On 8/28/2020 at 4:38 PM, Boom Boom said:

I have to ask what 3 you're getting? I'm finalizing my order for my first KK. I went with the 32 

Welcome @Boom Boom.  I like the fact that you have called this 32 your "first".  It means you know that an addiction is on its way!  

If I was to have only one KK then it would be the 32.  I should have got one in the first place but, at the time of buying our first two, I didn't like the idea of being "limited" to a 32 and a 16 which was all that we had space for.  I think the 23 and 21 combo that I did get was great for being able to do two decent sized cooks alongside each other.  I have now sold both and am going for the 32 for cooking things like whole brisket on the bone and suckling pig and for making a steam oven for bread.  In the main I think I will have the 32 set up for two zone cooking.  I am looking forward to using the 16 for small pot cooks, a few chops or steaks and as a fire starter for my other (non KK) grills.  The 23 might end up being the least used but I expect it will be just the right size for pizzas when I don't want to have to get the 32 up to temperature, plancha cooking and for sides or low and slow when I am grilling on the 32.  Thanks for asking.  It helped to think that through.  Not very sane, getting three KKs but I doubt that many of us are.  Sane.  

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Thanks for your insight @tekobo  I am very excited for the arrival of my grill. I spoke with Dennis yesterday and it looks like we have about 6 more weeks to wait. I think I might keep my Vision grill for sides and other things or just as a place to hold things warm while I finish on in the KK. My goal is to improve my cooking performance while downsizing the inventory of grills. If I find that I’m not using the vision at all I will then sell it or give it to one of my kids. 

• Like 5

I remember asking if you had visitation rights...that turned out to be an understatement. A few doors down...over at the neighbors, now that's keeping the separation anxiety to a minimum. Three new KK's on the way, I know there's a surprise in here somewhere. Either it's a color not offered in the brochure or something unique about your choices your not giving up. Anyhow, it seems your surviving quite well, I hope your wait is a short one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Where have you been @Tyrus?  Hope you've been cooking and eating well.  Here I plan to enjoy what is  left of the summer cooking on the Argentinian grill when I finally figure out how get the coals lit as fast as I could in the KK.  A bit more practice with that Weber chimney should do it...

• Like 1

Hello there. Oh yes, I've been cooking many things but haven't posted. Lazy I guess. Oh, I found small splits with lump charcoal work well on the Santa Maria grill. Having a forest nearby doesn't hurt, either. Here's a few pics. I did some Morrocan chicken but didn't have a real Tandori so I used this Blue chicken from China, yum. Back to back chicken on the skewer and two hour ribs. Sorry to steal your post again

DSCF3100 (1).JPG

DSCF3109.JPG

DSCF3104.JPG

• Like 4

I am interested in the concept of two hour ribs because a) I could cook these on my Argentinian grill and b) I don't like my ribs overly soft and tender and so don't need the hours long cooking that other methods require.  So far I have found these links but would be interested in your method @Tyrus.  Liking the idea of spritzing with the really nice chilli infused apple cider vinegar that I have. https://bbqpitboys.com/two-hour-spare-ribs/ and https://www.huffpost.com/entry/how-to-make-barbecue-ribs_b_11034932

5 hours ago, tekobo said:

two hour ribs

OK. First I'll share with you a tasty Texas good dry rub for the ribs. No sauce.  BBQ Pork Rub, Mix the following ingredients and rub over your pork ribs. Store the remainder in a glass jar for later use.  1/2 cup Garlic Powder, 1/4 cup Brown sugar, 2Tbls salt, 2Tbls Black pepper, 2Tbls Ancho Chilli powder, 1Tbs Ground thyme, 1 Tbs Ground Mexican Oregano and if you don't have the Mex you can use regular Oregano.  The nice part about these grills is the ability to move the grate up and down from the fire.  That in mind you want approx a 6 sec hand from the fire at a height you can withstand for your meat. A distance where it will cook and turn the meat a golden color, finding that safe distance is the key. The two hour rib is proportional to thickness so with that in mind expect the larger and thicker ribs to go a bit longer. You can always move things along by adjusting the height but you risk the darkening or charring of the meat. You can probe for tenderness and check for temp between the bones as the look of the ribs become something of your liking. I use a mix of apple cider vinegar and apple juice say 50/50 as the cook goes along. As Basher mentioned, another method to cut the time on ribs would be too place two racks of ribs on a screen on a cooking sheet. Pour apple cider vinegar beneath, cover with foil and cook in oven at 350 for 1 and 1/4 hours. At this point they are cooked and all that remains is to pretty them up. Put on the rub and grill them to a nice golden brown then add your sauce to finish. Hope that was helpful, tricky course to navigate with these grills but they're alot of fun so enjoy the ride.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1