Wingman505

Yaxell Super Gou

I have trimmed my last brisket with a beater knife.  I fought with the last one and got fed up.  Introducing the Super Gou!  We bought a Kiritsuke and boning knife, and will complete our set over time.  161 layer Damascus clad SG2 steel, scalpel sharp out of the box.  I am researching wet stones now and have been practicing honing other knives with good success.  We bought a ESO SG2 boning knife, but sent it back in favor of these.  😊. Cutlery and More has a 20% off Labor Day sale so we got these for a relative steal... Definitely not a steal, but a deal nonetheless!

EA4831B6-1539-46EB-9B5D-1689ED1E69AA.thumb.jpeg.dbb01f37dc7badaaa69efbbb15ec6723.jpeg

• Like 7

Hit me where I live!  Sucker for good knives, especially Japanese. I started out with Shuns, which are very good, but have bought a few of the handcrafted ones. Pricey, but amazing. I don't practice enough with my stones. I probably should buy the "cheater" guides, particularly for the 15 degree blades. 

Be very careful,  as this is another rabbit hole that will empty your wallet in a  hurry! 🤑

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tony b said:

Hit me where I live!  Sucker for good knives, especially Japanese. I started out with Shuns, which are very good, but have bought a few of the handcrafted ones. Pricey, but amazing. I don't practice enough with my stones. I probably should buy the "cheater" guides, particularly for the 15 degree blades. 

Be very careful,  as this is another rabbit hole that will empty your wallet in a  hurry! 🤑

Yeah, you’re right about that.  I have the 10” Super Gou slicing knife in my cart right now.  The angle on these is ~12 degrees.  I almost went with Shun Premier as they have lifetime free sharpening... you only pay shipping.  That almost had me sold, but the blade quality wasn’t quite as good, and we liked the handles of these.  😊

• Like 1

Beautiful knifes and if they slice half as good as they look your work time and ease of prep will be that much more enjoyable.  One could have the best Knife in the world...if you don't develop a good consistent technique to sharpen, it might as well be a butter knife. Does this make you Samurai?

1 hour ago, Tyrus said:

Beautiful knifes and if they slice half as good as they look your work time and ease of prep will be that much more enjoyable.  One could have the best Knife in the world...if you don't develop a good consistent technique to sharpen, it might as well be a butter knife. Does this make you Samurai?

😄.  I am researching wet stones now.  I am also learning a lot from videos and literature.  Gotta none the blade very often too.

• Like 1

Yes, hone after each use.

Sorry, but I'm traveling and using the phone to post; otherwise I'd send you a link to some good videos for knife sharpening. I can't remember the guy's name, it was Richard something, if I'm remembering correctly. I haven't watched them in quite a while. 

• Like 1

You might check out Burrfecion (https://www.youtube.com/c/Burrfection). Ryky Tran has been doing YouTube videos on knife sharpening and knife reviews for several years. He is no longer going to be making new videos (he is going to be writing a book about Japanese artisan knife makers) but he has quite a library of videos on stone comparisons, usage, sharpening techniques, knife reviews, etc. Worth a look to see if you like his style. The production value dramatically increased as he become more well known, but the content is always solid.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jonj said:

You might check out Burrfecion (https://www.youtube.com/c/Burrfection). Ryky Tran has been doing YouTube videos on knife sharpening and knife reviews for several years. He is no longer going to be making new videos (he is going to be writing a book about Japanese artisan knife makers) but he has quite a library of videos on stone comparisons, usage, sharpening techniques, knife reviews, etc. Worth a look to see if you like his style. The production value dramatically increased as he become more well known, but the content is always solid.

Oh yeah, I’m already subscribed and watch his videos every night.

6 hours ago, tony b said:

Yes, hone after each use.

Sorry, but I'm traveling and using the phone to post; otherwise I'd send you a link to some good videos for knife sharpening. I can't remember the guy's name, it was Richard something, if I'm remembering correctly. I haven't watched them in quite a while. 

https://kramerknives.com/product/6-piece-sharpening-kit-by-zwilling/