Karolina Komodo

Smoke box/Drip pan room

Thanks in advance for anyones advice on my setup.  I have been using a small cast iron pot with holes in the bottom for smoke box.  I rest it on top of the charcoal in the basket and place the deep drip pan on first level above; however, this limits the amount of charcoal directly under the pan as the pot blocks the pan if too full.  This is ok for shorter cooks but would like to fill the basket so I don't have to refill on longer ones.  Any advice on a different setup for pan to allow for more vertical height underneath.  Thanks so much!

Eric

You are using the smoker pot correctly. Curious as to what you are using the drip pan for, as most of us hardly use it, except for special cases? Normally for indirect cooks I just use a sheet of aluminum foil on the lower grate.

I generally only use the smoker pot on cooks longer than 2 hours, which are usually indirect. Plenty of space for charcoal for low & slow cooks lasting up to 20 hours.

• Like 1

Hi @Karolina Komodo.  I use my smoke pot without a drip pan.  For me it acts as a shield for indirect cooking and drippings from the meat just collect on top of the pot. I wash the lid periodically and all is good. 

However, if you do need the drip pan in place it would be good to see a picture of your configuration to better understand the problem.  

• Like 1