Wilsonj

gas vs charcoal on short cooks

Hi,

Well I've put my order in for a 23"KK but still I would like to know. As only ever owning a gas BBQ, is there much flavour difference on shorter cooks ? Say if I grilled a scotch fillet or even reverse seared a rib eye, does this give the meat enough time to absorb any of the charcoal flavour? Or is it much the same as a good gas BBQ ?

Cheers

Jamie

• Like 3

Jamie well done on the decision to invest.

Alimac is right- there’s a massive difference between gas and wood/ charcoal- even with short cooks.

Particularly once the food is rested, it takes on a whole new flavour that gas cannot produce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the Obsession! You are about to be amazed.

I have NEVER owned a gas grill. No comparison. But, use good hardwood lump charcoal - Fogo and KJ Big Block are my current choices. Red Devil is good. But, stay away from Cowboy - it's cheap scrap lumber, so you never know what kind of wood it is and it burns up super fast, so it's not really a bargain. 

Can't wait to see pics of your uncrating and first cooks!

9 hours ago, Tyrus said:

The difference between gas and charcoal is like going from impulse power to warp speed. You may not recognize the stars without a map but, who cares...the food is so much better. You may have to be a Treky to understand.

I'm with ya!  To infinity and beyond! 8-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wilsonj said:

Now really can't wait. Although I know it will be a slow process, waiting is half the fun sometimes

Welcome @Wilsonj.  As someone who has been through the waiting cycle for her first KK, i can tell you it is well worth the wait. I've never had a gasser and so cannot comment on the difference in the way the food tastes.  I can certainly say that the "effort" of lighting charcoal is made less so by the excellent engineering of the KK (max airflow through the coals when you open up the vents) and by the techniques that I learned on this forum (MaPP torch and mini leaf blower to get the fire going).  Welcome, again.  

• Like 3

On 9/8/2020 at 3:58 PM, tekobo said:

Welcome @Wilsonj.  As someone who has been through the waiting cycle for her first KK, i can tell you it is well worth the wait. I've never had a gasser and so cannot comment on the difference in the way the food tastes.  I can certainly say that the "effort" of lighting charcoal is made less so by the excellent engineering of the KK (max airflow through the coals when you open up the vents) and by the techniques that I learned on this forum (MaPP torch and mini leaf blower to get the fire going).  Welcome, again.  

Thanks tekobo!

Having never lit a charcoal BBQ what sort of mini leaf blower do people use ? I already have a blow torch, so that side is covered.

I have a different view on the gas v. charcoal debate. They both have their place in life. Yes charcoal tastes better than gas but grilling over straight wood splits tastes better than charcoal. If your goal is the best flavor for straight grilling then a kamado is not the right tool. A Santa Maria style grill using wood splits would be better.

Sometimes the speed of gas outweighs the benefit of charcoal /wood flavor. At home I mostly cook on charcoal but my Blackstone griddle see's it's fair share of cooks and if I have the time, steaks go on the Santa Maria style grill using Mesquite splits. When camping in the Travel Trailer it's all gas at the moment just for speed and convenience even though I have a Primo Oval Jr with GO cradle sitting at home that I could take while camping. 

If you can only have one grill in life a kamado is the way to go and a Komodo Kamado is the best Kamado on the market. Life is to short for just one grill - LOL 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 9/11/2020 at 8:40 PM, ckreef said:

I have a different view on the gas v. charcoal debate. They both have their place in life. Yes charcoal tastes better than gas but grilling over straight wood splits tastes better than charcoal. If your goal is the best flavor for straight grilling then a kamado is not the right tool. A Santa Maria style grill using wood splits would be better.

Sometimes the speed of gas outweighs the benefit of charcoal /wood flavor. At home I mostly cook on charcoal but my Blackstone griddle see's it's fair share of cooks and if I have the time, steaks go on the Santa Maria style grill using Mesquite splits. When camping in the Travel Trailer it's all gas at the moment just for speed and convenience even though I have a Primo Oval Jr with GO cradle sitting at home that I could take while camping. 

If you can only have one grill in life a kamado is the way to go and a Komodo Kamado is the best Kamado on the market. Life is to short for just one grill - LOL 

Hi ckreef, thanks for your input, very interesting. I had seen a Santa Maria grill, but hadn't paid it much attention. I think it seems like too much hard work for me, at least for now with 3 young kids and pretty hectic job. I'll just have to settle for a KK. 
I really don't have that much room, and so to some degree having one BBQ, at least of reasonable size, is probably all I can handle. As mentioned, I have a 4 burner Weber gas, but I'd consider selling that and maybe even getting a smaller open griddle for when I just need to cook sausages or in a real hurry. ( or maybe a back up if I run out of charcoal, which isn't available where I am).

And, I just updated my order to the 32" So probably won't be buying any other BBQs any time soon. 

• Like 6