RokDok

Good Evening from Sydling St Nicholas UK

@MacKenzie - I'm not sure there is much more I can be tempted with - in four weeks I've gone from a £500 Buffalo Kamado to a 23" KK , then a 32" "bare unit" KK , now lots of extra gizmos - but you never know....

@jonj- that really does look delicious, but .... I think I need to show Mrs RD that I have been considered and actually quite frugal- the fact I didn't get the rib rack proves this. Just pointing out that we've actually saved loads of money by not buying the 42" is a kite that would be dangerous for me to fly.

@tekobo - We asked for the metallic bronze which would have been a great choice. Mrs RD thought that it would reflect the flowers in the garden, the lawn , sunset etc. Having the mirage of more flowers in the garden would also have helped heal the wound I inflicted on Mrs RD by nicking a square yard of her flower bed to build my WFO.

Also I have a metallic bronze silk jacket that I had made by accident when we were in Vietnam. It would have given me possibly the only occasion that I could wear it without attracting attention.

Alas, the tile factory is closed because of Covid and the Bronze Metallic are no longer available, so we are going for Matt Black Square Tiles, and we are actually very happy with this.

It will match the black leather dining chairs in the sun room which opens onto the patio where the KK will be, and also the patio table/chairs which are black. Have also gone for the stainless steel tables (that was you @Braai-Q), which will match the guttering and drainpipes.

If only we could be so decisive about sofa fabrics.

So, I am going to brew a couple of very serious beers so that we can toast the arrival of the KK - I guess after Xmas now.

They will be both Big and Bad - I took delivery of 65kg of ingredients yesterday.

Best

RD

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, RokDok said:

@MacKenzie - I'm not sure there is much more I can be tempted with - in four weeks I've gone from a £500 Buffalo Kamado to a 23" KK , then a 32" "bare unit" KK , now lots of extra gizmos - but you never know....

As I said about 2 minutes ago to @tekobo the forum is free but it's expensive to be a part of the community! 😀  At the risk of trying to further inflate your spend, if the tiniest bit of you stirs at the sight of that rib rack that @jonjhas so cruelly placed in your path like forbidden fruit at the checkout counter, I'd add it in.

I bought the 19KK and then was a bit reluctant to go crazy given I'd never seen a KK in the flesh. I didn't order the stand for my 19 and had designs of putting it in a custom outdoor kitchen. The kitchen never happened and the KK ended up being just off ground level. I was put off the idea of ordering due to the cost (due to weight) and the field day customs would have with duty charges. I laughed it off for ages. Anyway, when I ordered the 32, I ordered the stand for the 19KK reasoning that it would give me flexibility moving the outdoor kitchen about. After six years. It was both a revelation and moment of recognising my stupidity for not having done it sooner. 

I think the tables are a great shout and will be genuinely useful. 

It will match the black leather dining chairs in the sun room which opens onto the patio where the KK will be, and also the patio table/chairs which are black. Have also gone for the stainless steel tables (that was you @Braai-Q), which will match the guttering and drainpipes.

Glad to have been of assistance. In all seriousness, the tables are incredibly helpful. Something Dennis mentioned to me is that he is producing a new design with a steel trace around the lid to save tiles from being broken off if you accidentally shut it on tongs. I'm not sure if you'll get that in yours or the current design. I can't say I've ever had that problem but might be something to clarify on aesthetics or to be mindful of in use. 

If only we could be so decisive about sofa fabrics.

You could put it to a group vote on the forum. This forum has a depth of knowledge that I bet ranges from martindale count to maillard reaction and everything in between. 🤘

So, I am going to brew a couple of very serious beers so that we can toast the arrival of the KK - I guess after Xmas now.

They will be both Big and Bad - I took delivery of 65kg of ingredients yesterday.

I'm looking forward to the photograph of you in the bronze silk jacket, embracing the new KK like a long lost relative. There will be no judgement, just appreciation. 

What beers you thinking and what's your first cook going to be?

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, RokDok said:

@jonj- that really does look delicious, but .... I think I need to show Mrs RD that I have been considered and actually quite frugal- the fact I didn't get the rib rack proves this. Just pointing out that we've actually saved loads of money by not buying the 42" is a kite that would be dangerous for me to fly.

Good tactic. I don't think the "Honey I shrunk the KK" argument will hold much water when your 32 Big Bad KK arrives.  Although...if it ever comes to "it's me or the KK", you would be able to sleep in a 42. 

37 minutes ago, RokDok said:

We asked for the metallic bronze which would have been a great choice. Mrs RD thought that it would reflect the flowers in the garden, the lawn , sunset etc. Having the mirage of more flowers in the garden would also have helped heal the wound I inflicted on Mrs RD by nicking a square yard of her flower bed to build my WFO.

Also I have a metallic bronze silk jacket that I had made by accident when we were in Vietnam. It would have given me possibly the only occasion that I could wear it without attracting attention.

Alas, the tile factory is closed because of Covid and the Bronze Metallic are no longer available, so we are going for Matt Black Square Tiles, and we are actually very happy with this.

Great choice on colour and it sounds like you are a tile man in any case.  I thought the same about metallic bronze tiles reflecting the garden but I am sure black will look lovely too!

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Braai-Q said:

As I said about 2 minutes ago to @tekobo the forum is free but it's expensive to be a part of the community! 😀

That is true, but it's liberating in a way - borne out by @Basher 's comment " life is full of short stories of great times."

Yes - I will do a photo of Bronze meets Matt Black.

@tekobo- I hadn't thought about the dual purpose grill/static RV 42"- I wouldn't want to make the goat homeless though.

@Braai-Q- Beers to celebrate KK's arrival : The first is "Triple Bronze" - This is going to be something along the lines of a Belgian Trippel - Bronze coloured and around about 9% alcohol- give or take.

The next is  "Big Bad Matt Black" - A Stout of around 9% with hops from the garden. I might do a little brother version too.

I've not made beers this strong before - but I think the arrival of the KK needs an over engineered beer to match.

Starting the yeast cultures next week.

Best

RD

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, RokDok said:

That is true, but it's liberating in a way - borne out by @Basher 's comment " life is full of short stories of great times."

Yes - I will do a photo of Bronze meets Matt Black.

@tekobo- I hadn't thought about the dual purpose grill/static RV 42"- I wouldn't want to make the goat homeless though.

@Braai-Q- Beers to celebrate KK's arrival : The first is "Triple Bronze" - This is going to be something along the lines of a Belgian Trippel - Bronze coloured and around about 9% alcohol- give or take.

The next is  "Big Bad Matt Black" - A Stout of around 9% with hops from the garden. I might do a little brother version too.

I've not made beers this strong before - but I think the arrival of the KK needs an over engineered beer to match.

Starting the yeast cultures next week.

I can get behind @Basher's sentiment. The beers sound great but I always thought that beer pairings were with food and not KKs! 😄

• Like 2

Sounds like some tasty beers on the way! 

Regarding your big stout, you can always do a parti-gyle for the 2nd runnings and get a nice brown ale or Scottish out of it. 

I don't generally do big ABV beers, but I just finished a Wheat Wine that I brewed for our beer club's competition. It came in at 12.2% ABV. It's BIG! 

16 hours ago, tony b said:

Regarding your big stout, you can always do a parti-gyle for the 2nd runnings and get a nice brown ale or Scottish out of it. 

Good idea @tony b , certainly if I have trouble sparging clear I'll do that.

That is a monster wheat wine ! It's set my imagination running- it would probably pair very well with the 42" seriously big bad. That or a cutting blue cheese - goat's preferably.

• Thanks 1

Preparation of the beers to celebrate the arrival of the KK has begun :

Culturing the yeast. Eight conical flasks - I don't bother with sterilising or boiling the spray malt solution. Simply put about 80 g of spray malt into each conical - add 500 ml of boiling water from the kettle, swish around and seal with a foil square . Add a bit of yeast when it's cool, swish or shake from time to time.

Back four are a Belgian Trippel yeast for the Bronze Trippel, and front four a well known Irish Ale yeast for the Big Bad Matt Black Stout.

4A1E3124-32B0-41EB-AE90-6006CC656620.jpeg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, tony b said:

You definitely "go big" when it comes to your starters - 2 liters each! I normally stick to 1L starters, but for a high gravity beer, I'll go 2L. 

Well Tony - we'll probably brew around 200- 220 litres on Saturday !, so it's for quite a lot of beer !

• Like 1

Grains look and smell lovely.

They get tipped into the mash tuns - (the two vessels that are lowest in the picture), with hot water, this activates the enzymes in the malt turning the starch into fermentable sugars. Takes about an hour and a half.

Once it's finished mashing the sweet liquid is pumped up and circulated into the kettles (the vessels immediately above the mash tuns). Lastly the grains are washed with fresh to water to get the last of the sugars out, and this too is pumped up into the kettles- I run two brews simultaneously.

It is then brought to the boils and the first hops (for bittering are added).

We then wash out the mash tuns and put the grain in for the next batch of beer.

So having a bit of lunch right now and the first batch ( Bronze Trippel ) is boiling in the two kettles - for about an hour and a half. Simultaneously the grain for the Big Bad Matt Black is mashing in the mash tuns.

IMG_1788.jpeg

IMG_1793.jpeg

IMG_1787.jpeg

IMG_1792.jpeg

• Like 5

Ahh thanks @tony b !

It's been great fun today - we overran a little but it's been a very productive day and the beers seem to have hit quantity and strength - 240 l in total shared amongst friends who will take their fermentors home .

We did have a little sampling of " here's one we did earlier".

The weather has been wet and windy today so , sitting by the fire with the family - having a beer as well.

Cheers

RD

• Like 4

I'm in new territory with these strong celebratory beers. I've just bottled my share of the Bronze Triple - it fermented to a Specific Gravity of 1003 and - friends' batches are down to 1000. It's going to be 9.2 %.

There was about 75 litres in this fermentor and it took the best part of a day to clean the bottles, bottle and clean up.

When brewing and bottling the only time I use a chemical sanitiser is to squirt a bit into the nozzle of the fermentor before connecting the hose. Everything else is done with heat. Mrs RD is very patient - there are hundreds of bottles that go into the oven to sterilise them. ( The day before I bottled my apple and pear cider ).

As it's one of two beers to celebrate the arrival of my KK ( It was due to leave Surabaya for Singapore a few weeks ago but I think it may still be in Indonesia), I used champagne bottles for some of the batch.

Not worried about any delay - it gives more time for the beer to condition.

The Big Bad Matt Black Stout is still fermenting.....

8283E706-CE04-4F5C-A91F-A0EA35618588.jpeg

IMG_1908.JPG

• Like 2