RokDok

Good Evening from Sydling St Nicholas UK

1 hour ago, tekobo said:

@RokDok I am certainly up for trying a beer in the style of Gueze and would be very interested in your cider.  Does the pub next door do rooms?  Will need to stay over to avoid encounters with police on the way home.

Yes, it does do rooms, they are small but nicely appointed.

And being next door - there's a good chance of finding your way back to the accommodation :-).

OK- we'll wait for this lock down business to end - my imagination is getting into gear .... Pizza from the WFO with ciders for lunch whilst a slow cook is going on in the KK...??

And Brai plays an instrument ..

Already looking forward to the sofa discussions...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, RokDok said:

Yes, it does do rooms, they are small but nicely appointed.

And being next door - there's a good chance of finding your way back to the accommodation :-).

OK- we'll wait for this lock down business to end - my imagination is getting into gear .... Pizza from the WFO with ciders for lunch whilst a slow cook is going on in the KK...??

And Brai plays an instrument ..

Just to lower expectations, I've not committed to nearly enough practice to be playing a set right now. Although I'm very excited about a new amp I have on order (Boss Nextone Special) and apparently it's arriving on 31/12. I don't have a ship to follow on a map or anything. Feel slightly shortchanged. What's the latest on your boat?

Apols to all, I think I lost the plot yesterday. I'd done 17 hours of video conferencing over the last 3 days across three time zones. Can't.wait.for.this.to.be.over. Which I appreciate is the same for everyone. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RokDok said:

We got notification today that our sofa is with the "transporters" and should be with us, at the very latest, by Dec 10.  It will be super weird (and stressful) if the KKs and sofa decide to arrive on the same day!  

In the meantime I will drink to a vaccine to get us out of this mess.  See you on the other side.  

• Like 5

@Braai-Q Nice looking amp - I've never seen so many buttons on a combo. Yes it's a shame that you can only track the shipping once it arrives in the UK.

Enjoyed the Led Zeppelin anecdote - I read it to Mrs RD who is a life long fan. She's got a first edition Led Zeppelin 1 album - would be worth quite a lot of money, but as a teenager she listened to it non-stop so there is barely a groove left on it.

She went to the last two UK concerts they ever did in Knebworth, we've seen Robert Plant and his band a couple of times recently.

My oven is no in Singapore having shipped from Surabaya on the Bankok Bridge. It's waiting to hitch a ride on a boat heading for Southampton- from Tekebo's experience this could take quite a while.

@tekobo - if your ovens and sofa do arrive on the same day - you'll be able to sit down in comfort and watch the ovens being unloaded - every cloud ...

Hopefully by late Spring we'll have some sort of normality and we can sort out something then - the pub has six rooms and if anyone wants to come from further afield they would be welcome ...

• Like 2

@Braai-Q Nice looking amp - I've never seen so many buttons on a combo. Yes it's a shame that you can only track the shipping once it arrives in the UK.

I think this might be a first world problem but when it arrives, I can say with certainty that as a proud male of the species, I will also not read the manual. 

Enjoyed the Led Zeppelin anecdote - I read it to Mrs RD who is a life long fan. She's got a first edition Led Zeppelin 1 album - would be worth quite a lot of money, but as a teenager she listened to it non-stop so there is barely a groove left on it.

I think what amused me reflecting on it later was what an utter idiot I was in not recognising the situation I found myself in. That was the point of the story. Nothing to do with name dropping. I'm entirely unbothered by all of that but I am always held in awe of someone who has attained a level of knowledge and craft skill to those sort of levels in any discipline. Particularly when you have an appreciation of what it took to get there.

On a slight segue, you should check out Rick Beato on Youtube if you play. He does a technical song analysis - 'Why is this song great' and he deconstructs songs by their elements. I know he has done a few Led Zep tracks, you might enjoy.

Hopefully by late Spring we'll have some sort of normality and we can sort out something then - the pub has six rooms and if anyone wants to come from further afield they would be welcome ...

Great to have something cheerful to look forward to. 

• Like 3

Well, at last after four months it is almost here :

Surabaya to Singapore on the Bangkok Bridge, a little sojourn in Singapore and then a cruise aboard the HMM OSLO.

I've followed it around the world and now it is so close.

It's now parked at the Nab anchorage to the East of the Isle of Wight, waiting patiently for its slot at Southampton, which will hopefully be later today.

I live just North of Dorchester- I feel I can almost see it !

Screenshot 2021-01-17 at 09.32.21.png

• Like 3

Thanks to folk on the forum I've combined a little retail therapy with preparation - you'll know who gave me these ideas.

I've got a couple of sheets of 18mm ply, and I have tongs etc.

I've cleared a couple of 5' x 2' shelves in the garage to house the "extras".

First, the reading list - the essentials - love Meathead's science.

Next 110 Kg of coconut charcoal, plus some of my usual local charcoal.

For lighting, a cordless leaf blower and Mapp torch, plus a popular pair of gauntlets.

Xmas presents from Mrs RD and the RokDoklettes, a personalised grill apron with matching leather gloves,  Meater (plus - thanks for that tip -I can monitor the cook from the pub next door), and a pair of bear claws. My stocking contained lots of spices.

Last, but not least the 9.2 % Bronze Triple and 10.2 % Matt Black Stout, brewed to toast the arrival and of course essential (seriously) "Adult Beverage" for the burn in.

Cheers

RD

IMG_2145.JPG

IMG_2151.JPG

IMG_2149.JPG

IMG_2148.JPG

IMG_2152.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

All the essentials. Brushed suede and a gun case for your torch, nice touch. Be careful though about wearing that attire on the street, my understanding is that in Merry ol'England the executioner had a similar set up. Don't want to upset the neighborhood kids

• Like 1
  • Haha 5