RokDok

Good Evening from Sydling St Nicholas UK

RokDok, I like the bottles you chose the color and shape....the labels you printed by hand and the proof to read for those to ascertain, and then you corked them perfectly for prosperity. Where did you find those containers, they are a treasure and I believe you continually pass them along. Tell me, is it traditional to return the bottles back because they do look a bit ancient, and are your customers under any curse if they don't.  Inquiring minds, you know, not me ..Mackenzie asked me to propose this   

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 1

Ah @Tyrus, it's just my home-brew - I don't sell it and somehow it disappears - I give quite a bit away.

I don't put a curse on the people who don't bring the bottles back - people are pretty good at returning them to me.

As to these bottles : I gave a talk / beer tasting in the village hall a couple of years comparing Belgian 'Saison' beers with French ' Biere de Garde' - both "Farmhouse " beers. People brought their own food and had eight different beers to taste.

When I found out that the wholesaler ( in France ) didn't have the beers that I wanted in sufficient quantity I nipped over on the ferry and went to the individual breweries to get supplies.

I stayed the night at one brewery (Esquelbecq) and my poor Toyota Yaris was packed to the gunnels. The front of the car was pointing upwards a bit like a dragster.

The customs officer pulled me over and said "That's a lot of wine you've got there sir", when I said it was all beer he laughed and waved me through.

So, the bottle on the left (The Bronze) is from the French brewery " Brasserie de Duyk" and contained one of their Jenlain beers, the one on the right (The Matt Black) is from the "Brasserie St. Sylvester" and contained the beer "Trois Monts".

My ship docked at Southampton last night - and needed five tugs : the KK must be really heavy.

Screenshot 2021-01-17 at 20.17.41.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Indeed. I won a beer competition a couple of years back and the winner got to brew their recipe at a local brewery that sponsored the competition. I actually didn't get to make the exact recipe, as the brewery said it would be too expensive to make in their standard 8 barrel quantity. We had to cut out one of the key ingredients (mango). But they did a special Firkin release of the mango version, as that was manageable. 

• Like 3

I initially read the final word of your post as mangoable !

That is impressive Tony. I'm glad you got your firkin with the mango in though !

I've drunk some mango beer - and very nice it was too.

Historically all kinds of herbs and spices were used to add flavour to beer before hops were widely cultivated. Scotland has a beer called Fraoch still made with heather tips instead of hops- it is really lovely on draught.

As I type this I am really hankering after a pint of hand pulled well kept live beer served at 12 C, standing around a log fires chatting  with some friends in the pub. In fact I can see it, smell it and taste it.

Pesky lockdown.

I like pubs.

My kids asked once why it was that the photos of them are in the downstairs cloakroom, whereas I have pictures and prints of my favourite pubs displayed more prominently in the house.

I haven't yet thought of an answer that combines honesty with diplomacy.

Cheers.

RD

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I've had a couple of homebrews made with spruce tips instead of hops. Very nice change of pace. 

This was a wort rally with the brewery, so the base beer was one of their recipes that I had kettle soured and made into a German Gose. I did the one-off mango version, as well. The mango took 1st place and the standard Gose took 3rd place in Best in Show. So, I was pretty proud of that. 

2096742969_2019WortRallyMedals002.thumb.jpg.eed7faec0a9f963148d499c3116b45c5.jpg

Edited by tony b
  • Like 7

I like pubs.
My kids asked once why it was that the photos of them are in the downstairs cloakroom, whereas I have pictures and prints of my favourite pubs displayed more prominently in the house.
I haven't yet thought of an answer that combines honesty with diplomacy.
Cheers.

RD

I like beer more than kids!
Does this work RD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/19/2021 at 7:35 PM, tony b said:

This was a wort rally with the brewery, so the base beer was one of their recipes that I had kettle soured and made into a German Gose. I did the one-off mango version, as well. The mango took 1st place and the standard Gose took 3rd place in Best in Show. So, I was pretty proud of that. 

2096742969_2019WortRallyMedals002.thumb.jpg.eed7faec0a9f963148d499c3116b45c5.jpg

Now, I thought that picture looked a bit familiar Tony ......

IMG_2703.JPG

• Like 4

....................................Oh no it's not 😐

So the lorry arrived, after a restless night dreaming about Wagyu beef, not being able to get mud off my arms and hands under the outside tap, and then I couldn't coil the garden hose without it springing up off the ground....

By which time my brother in law was trying to cook the beef in the microwave.

Thank goodness that was just dream - this wasn't though !

Unfortunately the driver's pallet trolley wouldn't fit under the crate - its jaws were too narrow.

I thought that if we lifted the crate off , we could roll the oven down and then roll it onto the tail gate and onto the drive, so having got the crate off we could see the oven was the wrong way round to do that.

I called a local farmer friend and another friend who seems to have every tool under the sun - they came over but neither had a pallet trolley (we could have done it with two).

The driver then started to get calls from his boss about further deliveries and was getting into trouble, so he had to leave PDQ.

At least I've got a crate - albeit empty, and the crowbar, and the rotisserie cradle that was tied to the inside, but alas no oven.

I've also seen a KK bare foot in the flesh.

Such is life.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

😧

It may be for the best, if I understood what you were trying. A bare KK on wheels on a lift would not be good, since those lifts don't stay absolutely horizontal as they move down. I was freaked out when my KK (which was still in its crate) was tilting back and forth as the lift lowered. Hopefully the driver will come with the proper equipment next trip.

• Thanks 1