BARDSLJR

Cooking babyback ribs- meat side up or down?

Just to pile on here. Last night's baby back rib cook. Indirect w/aluminum foil, smoker pot of hickory and apple chunks, average temp 250F (started out around 225F and slowly kept going up to about 275F at the end.) and bone side down.

89067432_FBsFavorite001.thumb.jpg.f8e0961101cbd26e0bfc0ad71ec4ca3e.jpg

@BARDSLJR consider building the now-famous Syzygies' cast iron Dutch oven smoker pot for your smoking woods. Works great and you get nice clean smoke, as the holes are in the bottom and direct the smoke back into the fire and burn up some of the nasty volatiles. And, the cool part is, when the cooks over, you have made yourself a few chunks of charcoal! 

• Like 4

I have a 23 but I assume it should be the same for the 32 . I left out a crucial point when I ark up Ora to 400 I have the top and bottom vents fully open .when it gets to 400 its not heat soaked so when I open the lid to take out the grates and add wood and foil it will drop to about 300 I then dial down the top vent and adjust my bottom vents to where I know it will sit at 250 . This is the only time you can dial down the temp when its not heat soaked

Gorgeous looking ribs. My experience with my 32" KK is that it is very difficult to get it to reduce temperature once it ramps up. I have had to build up to cooking temp really slowly so not to overshoot it, and then tamp down on the air flow to level it off. I will be using a BBQ Guru for long cooks in the future, so hopefully I will have addressed the control issue.
Thank you for clarifying "Ora"- I would have never figured that out. Netflix has made a lot of Australian television accessible, and I can usually figure things out from context: when the guy in "Mr. In-Between"says "we're going out for dimmies", I get he's meaning dim sum dumplings. Some of the language in Peter Temple's excellent mystery books, I just have to guess or Google. (By the way, "Secret City" and "Wanted" were excellent, too. Thank you, my Australian cousins!

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Looking good Tony

Just to pile on here. Last night's baby back rib cook. Indirect w/aluminum foil, smoker pot of hickory and apple chunks, average temp 250F (started out around 225F and slowly kept going up to about 275F at the end.) and bone side down.
89067432_FBsFavorite001.thumb.jpg.f8e0961101cbd26e0bfc0ad71ec4ca3e.jpg
[mention=3342]BARDSLJR[/mention] consider building the now-famous Syzygies' cast iron Dutch oven smoker pot for your smoking woods. Works great and you get nice clean smoke, as the holes are in the bottom and direct the smoke back into the fire and burn up some of the nasty volatiles. And, the cool part is, when the cooks over, you have made yourself a few chunks of charcoal! 

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aussie Ora: yes, that makes sense: if you haven't got the walls of the KK fully warmed up, and your temperature reading is reflecting primarily the air temperature, getting the heat level to drop would be less problematic.

BTW, binge-watching "Rake", a wonderfully done (albeit it might have gone on a season or two too long) got us through the Coronavirus quarantine period last spring.

• Like 2

On 10/30/2020 at 3:30 PM, BARDSLJR said:

BTW, binge-watching "Rake", a wonderfully done (albeit it might have gone on a season or two too long) got us through the Coronavirus quarantine period last spring.

@BARDSLJR I was going to come back after you posted your first list of Australian shows to say "wot, no "Rake"?".  I watched the first series a few years ago and thought it was wonderfully irreverent.  With a new lockdown looming in England I think I will go back to the first series and catch up on the later ones too.  Thanks for the reminder. 

Loved "Rake": so many great scenes-the fight with the guy who pushes the street crossing button after he just did it; the fight with the barrista who wants a name to put on his cup (" but there's no one else here, mate!")....I do think the series went on a season or two too long, and the writers ran out of fresh ideas. Another good bet was the New Zealand series "West Side", although it, too, went on too long and there were some bizarre casting changes.

• Like 1

I don’t think I gave too much away, but you will know those scenes when you see them. And the episode with accident prone would -be new girlfriend.

” Feckless” hmmm, no I don’t agree. He is certainly not lacking in initiative or strength of character. But yes, he’s certainly irresponsible. Love the ironic humor at play in this show.

i will look for Jack Irish.

7 hours ago, BARDSLJR said:

” Feckless” hmmm, no I don’t agree. He is certainly not lacking in initiative or strength of character. But yes, he’s certainly irresponsible.

I thought you'd got me there.  I agree he is not lacking in initiative but the word feckless came from the gut when I thought of him and I wondered why.  Looks like the dictionary definition agrees with both of us - the lawyer lead is irresponsible.  In a truly mad and fun way.

feckless
/ˈfɛkləs/

adjective

1. lacking initiative or strength of character; irresponsible.

2 hours ago, jonj said:

Now we return you to our regular programming, cooking baby back ribs, meat side up:

That looks yummy.  Looking forward to getting back to some KK cooking!  At least 30 sleeps to go.  Might need some of that wine you've got on order to keep me going.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, I think we agree on "feckless". Rake is certainly inconsistent and unpredictable, with a wildly vacillating moral compass. I love the ironic humor of the series.

Whoever recommended "Jack Irish", thank you. I found it on the Acorn network that I added to my Amazon Prime account, a treasure trove of mostly British television. I love film noir, and it would not be inaccurate to call this "television noir". I should have known it is based on books by Peter Temple, perhaps the premier Australian mystery writer.

• Like 1

Meat side up for three hours, wrap in pink butcher paper until they reach my desired internal temperature of 203.  I use a variety of ribs including Dizzy Pig, local Chile based ribs, Meat Church (Honey Hog Hot is my favorite for pork).  These were coated with Albukirky seasonings Sweet Red rub.  I also don’t do baby backs anymore.  Not enough moisture for me.  I cook St. Louis or full spares.

FE75BFE3-9BB9-44F3-A371-6AB1C7111829.thumb.jpeg.fef52af6ec163782df401c5724bd91aa.jpeg77B6A076-B1E5-481E-9342-9FCAE1B4A286.thumb.jpeg.ca3bc00f223a316bd93641650ea0fcf5.jpeg

• Like 5

Wingman, That is a beautiful batch of ribs. How long is the total cook, and what temp?

I ‘m using the last of the three racks of beef ribs ( pictured) with some leftover red beans and sausage, shredding and adding the meat to the beans to make filling for beef and beans enchiladas with red Chile sauce from the Hatch Fresh Chile Company down in your neck of the woods. It will be a mix of mild and medium, as the medium is a bit hot for us. Should be yummy.

B2EC0178-D29C-48F2-84F1-BDDF41E97C6B.jpeg

158115C4-F45F-49EA-AD32-2BC58D98F2D0.jpeg

• Like 6