USUAggie

Big bad 32 “big blue”

I finally did it.  I ordered my dream grill/ smoker.   Like most, I have been lurking for years.  I started saving my pennies via a round up app, and finally pulled the trigger.  I pulled it a little early, but with corona more time with family on the patio has become even more important.  
The accessories I ordered are

• rotisserie motor ( big one)
  • spit not the cradle ( anyone think I made a bad decision please tell me why so I can start saving my pennies again)
  • cold smoker
  • drip pan and cover (thanks Diego brew n q)
  • A bunch of coffee char
  • pizza Stone 

This is one of the biggest purchases I have ever made.  I am scared crapless of un-crating and the burn in!  Like Chris Lilly said  choose a color your kids will want because it will be there’s someday.  

I am so excited!  I have gained a ton of knowledge from reading your posts and any advice or favorite recipes are always welcome.  ( even home brewing recipes,  as I have found a lot of home brewers here).

I ordered Big Blue at the beginning of August and am awaiting the call to find out when she will be delivered.  I will make sure to post pictures, and hope I can become part of this super friendly board.

Please feel free to give me any advice!  I am an open book who wants to learn as much as possible!

• Like 11

Aggie congrats on making the decision to invest. WoW, straight to the 42"! 

The anticipation begins and I feel very excited for you.

The only extra I'd add is the split grill. It will allow you to work a higher warming rack while having clear access to grilling at higher temperatures down low.

Looking forward to your photos

• Like 1

Just to clarify it is the 32 big bad terra blue.  Sorry if I made that confusing.

As I understand it, the half rack is standard in the 32.  I am so excited!  I am way excited to cook proteins and veggies at the same time.  

Edited by USUAggie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Boom Boom said:

Yours and mine must be on the same boat. It was supposed to have arrived yesterday so I’m hoping it clears customs in the next couple of days then we should get shipping notices. 
I’m just as nervous as you about uncrating  the thing. 

What size,grill  And accessories did you choose?

4 hours ago, Boom Boom said:

I’m just as nervous as you about uncrating  the thing. 

7 hours ago, USUAggie said:

I am scared crapless of un-crating and the burn in!  

Whoa! Don't spoil the best day of the year by being scared of stuff.  The manual that Dennis sends in advance is really helpful for preparing for uncrating and when you get to it you will be amazed by how much has been thought of in advance.  Just take your time and enjoy it.  

With respect to the burn in, check with Dennis.  You may not have to do it at all on a new model.  

Welcome!

• Like 4

Congrats on the purchase! I was scared to uncrate it too. Just make sure you take the day off or give yourself a 1/2 day to in rate it. Do a burn in etc. take your time if you have questions post here there’s always someone to help 

I got the spit and cradle. I got the cradle first, spit later. I haven’t used the cradle since I got the spit (yet). I think getting the spit first is the right move 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, USUAggie said:

What size,grill  And accessories did you choose?

We ordered a 32 bb in Terra Blue originally but the more we thought about it we decided that we liked the look of the blue pebble instead. I called up Dennis and asked if it was too late to change my tile preference. I told him if it was already tiled we would take it but he wouldn't hear of it. He said that he would have no problem selling the Terra Blue one and that he would get me the dark blue pebble. Great service.

As for Accessories we ordered the splitter, pizza stone, cold smoker, grate handles and a cover. We went ahead and got the wide cover in case we want to add side tables to it. After looking at some of Dennis's cabinets though we might just go that route. It would be a lovely Birthday gift from my wife. (I wish she was on this forum).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tekobo said:

Whoa! Don't spoil the best day of the year by being scared of stuff.  The manual that Dennis sends in advance is really helpful for preparing for uncrating and when you get to it you will be amazed by how much has been thought of in advance.  Just take your time and enjoy it.  

With respect to the burn in, check with Dennis.  You may not have to do it at all on a new model.  

Welcome!

I'm really glad to hear that there is a manual that comes with this. I'm sure that most everything is straight forward but I do want to know about the "burn in". My neighbor and my wife and kids keep asking what the first thing is that I'm going to make on it. I get quite a few compliments on my brisket so I think that will be the first cook. I am not going expect perfection on the first cook. I'm looking at it as more of a breaking in and seasoning of the grill cook than anything else. I also can't wait to use the cold smoker on some big prawnsand the other thing I'm looking forward to is getting more smoke into my bacon. I would love to know exactly when my smoker is going to arrive because I would be curing 4 pork bellies the week before it arrives and have those ready to go as soon as it gets here. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Boom Boom said:

I do want to know about the "burn in".

Worth checking with Dennis to find out if you need to do one.  If you do, it is only required in advance of very hot cooks and so would not affect an inaugural low and slow brisket cook.  The manual and information elsewhere on this forum will help guide you through the burn in.  

18 hours ago, Boom Boom said:

I would love to know exactly when my smoker is going to arrive because I would be curing 4 pork bellies the week before it arrives and have those ready to go as soon as it gets here.

Experience of the mad, bad things that can happy with delivery dates means that I would avoid trying to time anything to exactly line up with the arrival of your KKs.  If you are able to cure the bellies and vac pack all or a couple so that you have some lee way with the delivery date, it should help to avoid generating unnecessary stress.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, USUAggie said:

Can someone measure their 32 Big Bad grates for me?  I am looking at different storage solutions including building my own. I would love exact sizes of the grates.  
Thank you in advance.

I'll measure them for you in the morning if nobody else has replied. It's currently pouring outside and at 11pm, I share the dog's reluctance to go out in it!!! 😄

The internal dimensions on the product page (see below) should give you what you need - 32 x 22 inches which sounds about right. 

You'll need to legislate for the different types of grill depending on what you want to store - one has side handles, another a hinged front with handle to allow charcoal to be added mid cook.

32%20Draw%20Site.jpg?16792

On 10/8/2020 at 1:13 AM, USUAggie said:

I finally did it.  I ordered my dream grill/ smoker.   Like most, I have been lurking for years.  I started saving my pennies via a round up app, and finally pulled the trigger.  I pulled it a little early, but with corona more time with family on the patio has become even more important.  
The accessories I ordered are

• rotisserie motor ( big one)
  • spit not the cradle ( anyone think I made a bad decision please tell me why so I can start saving my pennies again)
  • cold smoker
  • drip pan and cover (thanks Diego brew n q)
  • A bunch of coffee char
  • pizza Stone 

This is one of the biggest purchases I have ever made.  I am scared crapless of un-crating and the burn in!  Like Chris Lilly said  choose a color your kids will want because it will be there’s someday.  

I am so excited!  I have gained a ton of knowledge from reading your posts and any advice or favorite recipes are always welcome.  ( even home brewing recipes,  as I have found a lot of home brewers here).

I ordered Big Blue at the beginning of August and am awaiting the call to find out when she will be delivered.  I will make sure to post pictures, and hope I can become part of this super friendly board.

Please feel free to give me any advice!  I am an open book who wants to learn as much as possible!

Welcome to the club. Don't be intimidated, it's a great experience. You just need to have a strategy for getting it into position. You may have seen some of my comments on other threads but machinery is the way to do it if you can. Dennis has done a great job on the crate and unboxing experience - you know when you use a tool or something that is just right and it's obvious that someone spent a lot of time thinking about how to do it properly. That's just the crate. Top tip - find the crowbar in the package first. Dennis supplies one with the crate - think it's underneath. I forgot (there was a 7 year gap between me getting a second one) and I used my own. I then burnt the crate and found it in the ash and as I looked at it, the realisation dawned on me. 

Here's what you can expect - the lorry had to park up the road outside my neighbour's house to allow the telehandler room to get it off the tail lift.

IMG_8957_AB.thumb.jpg.10876ca4cbd84fa4e328ca051cccdf4a.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Braai-Q said:

I'll measure them for you in the morning if nobody else has replied. It's currently pouring outside and at 11pm, I share the dog's reluctance to go out in it!!! 😄

The internal dimensions on the product page (see below) should give you what you need - 32 x 22 inches which sounds about right. 

You'll need to legislate for the different types of grill depending on what you want to store - one has side handles, another a hinged front with handle to allow charcoal to be added mid cook.

32%20Draw%20Site.jpg?16792

Could you measure the grates?  Length, width and height ?  Thank you so much!  All of them that come with the big bad 32.

4 hours ago, USUAggie said:

Could you measure the grates?  Length, width and height ?  Thank you so much!  All of them that come with the big bad 32.

Checking the dimensions, 32 x 22 is what I'd work from as a template size. I've attached some pictures (excuse the grubby grill as it's been sitting out and I've not burnt off and cleaned it) which you can take dimensions from. Measurements taking from the widest horizontal and vertical points and left sufficient reference in shot to orientate against the overall picture.

The other grills will be the same dimensions or fall within them. The reason I shared this one is because it is the most bulky to accommodate and you'll probably leave it in the 32KK anyway.

As someone with a shelving rack that I use to store these, be aware of the weight. My wife can barely lift them but the moment I made the lift a little awkward by having it on a shelf, she didn't feel safe trying to get them out. The heft of them is unlike any other grill and you have to be in control of the weight putting them into the KK. As I'm taller, I'm the only one who loads them into the KK as I'm easily within my range of movement whereas she could lose control and damage the KK. Which would be a very dark day. 

Hope this helps and I'd be interested to see your solution when it's ready.

IMG_5093.thumb.jpeg.58a9090d54c3821f64da6b31d19f93ab.jpegIMG_5094.thumb.jpeg.2f7351ed734ed6d0c55578aaf5b1206f.jpegIMG_5095.thumb.jpeg.4490e4f4c85a11b5e80288966f7399de.jpegIMG_5096.thumb.jpeg.f39b3905f62ef2586bafc03e9d83b940.jpegIMG_5097.thumb.jpeg.474d76a43ab7935015a2a9c854428085.jpegIMG_5098.thumb.jpeg.85c9e1a5612b400d00aafefa2b2c84fa.jpeg

• Like 2