sovsroc

Good Morning From Reading U.K.

27 minutes ago, sovsroc said:

Liberia yes you could very easily disappear out in the bush there, but to be fair that could be said for a lot of African countrys

You're right. I have a deep and abiding love of Africa and it is a shame to bear witness to the suffering it has endured over my lifetime. I'm not even that old to be saying that too. 

I don't normally beg but... Jamaican goat curry with hot peppers yes please.

I'll dig it out for you, it's a really great recipe with real depth of flavour. I find it requires quite a lot of tasting to get the balance right because the key variable is down to the intensity of the Scotch Bonnets.

One of the things I've increasingly enjoyed doing is using flavoured smoke to pair with the dishes. A long, slow cook curry in the KK is a beautiful thing.

I still miss fresh Lobster cooked in palm oil when we used to go to coast and all the fresh coconuts and palm nuts mmmm.

That sounds utterly superb. 

29 minutes ago, sovsroc said:

What a picture..... not in the flesh yet but this is pretty close

IMG_4582.JPG

Hah! Looks familiar. That's my 19. Looking pretty good for 8 years old. I'll take a picture of the 32 and send you that to keep you going until yours turns up. I think you'll be blown away by the quality of the KK when it arrives, particularly if you've ever looked at a Big Green Egg or Komodo Joe which are the only retail options I've seen in the UK. 

1 minute ago, jonj said:

I would also be interested in this recipe if you are sharing. I am a fan of Curried Goat.

Happy to. I'll have to write it up as it's a combination of two recipes and I know it off by heart. The original came from James Whetlor's Goat: Cooking and Eating and I think I riffed off an Epicurious or Food52 recipe where a Jamaican food writer shared her grandmother's recipe. I think James confessed to having pilfered his from a Jamaican friend so they're authentic and similar but the other recipe builds the Jamaican spice mix from scratch and I think that makes a big difference and gives you more control over the flavour. 

If you check the Amazon preview I linked, you can see the recipes for Kid and Goat Curry. 

1 hour ago, Braai-Q said:

Happy to. I'll have to write it up as it's a combination of two recipes and I know it off by heart. The original came from James Whetlor's Goat: Cooking and Eating and I think I riffed off an Epicurious or Food52 recipe where a Jamaican food writer shared her grandmother's recipe. I think James confessed to having pilfered his from a Jamaican friend so they're authentic and similar but the other recipe builds the Jamaican spice mix from scratch and I think that makes a big difference and gives you more control over the flavour. 

Recipe please! When James was first starting out I bought goat from him.  He turned up in my kitchen and slapped a whole goat carcass on my kitchen work top for what felt like no money at all.  I gave him some of my 55 day aged pork from Huntsham Farm for him to take home and he loved it.  I really like feeding meat to meat suppliers because they know what has gone into producing the quality that they are tasting.  No chance that he will be delivering meat personally these days but his website offers good options for those of us who are not near a West Indian community: https://cabrito.co.uk/about/.  I see his website promotes kid goat.  I asked for nanny goat because I wanted that maturer flavour for making Nigerian goat stew.  Now that I have a dry ager I might see what that does for tenderising the meat.  Yes, recipe.  Please.  

1 hour ago, Basher said:

This is a little sad, but you Africans may enjoy.

Silly.  Especially ironic for this black Nigerian 52 year old is communing with white Africans/Brits who lived in Africa and watching a video posted by an Australian on a forum established by an American living in Indonesia.  A long way from anti-apartheid rallies in the 80s and all the better for it.  I still want to cry whenever I think of the day I watched Nelson Mandela walk out of prison on my landlady's telly in Brixton.  Human nature means that that pure moment of joy has not translated into long term happiness in South Africa but we all have a long way to go in our different countries.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, tekobo said:

Recipe please! When James was first starting out I bought goat from him.  He turned up in my kitchen and slapped a whole goat carcass on my kitchen work top for what felt like no money at all.  I gave him some of my 55 day aged pork from Huntsham Farm for him to take home and he loved it.  I really like feeding meat to meat suppliers because they know what has gone into producing the quality that they are tasting.  No chance that he will be delivering meat personally these days but his website offers good options for those of us who are not near a West Indian community: https://cabrito.co.uk/about/.  I see his website promotes kid goat.  I asked for nanny goat because I wanted that maturer flavour for making Nigerian goat stew.  Now that I have a dry ager I might see what that does for tenderising the meat.  Yes, recipe.  Please.  

Happy to. I really enjoy the Jamaican spice pallet but it's not an eat all the time affair. A friend of mine is from Trinidad and her mother runs a catering business. They had Trini Goat Curry (Goat Roti) at the wedding. I tried to get the recipe. I'd describe it as being in between Jamaica and India. But the bride's mother was having none of it. Even with a consolidated charm offensive. 

4 hours ago, tekobo said:

Silly.  Especially ironic for this black Nigerian 52 year old is communing with white Africans/Brits who lived in Africa and watching a video posted by an Australian on a forum established by an American living in Indonesia.  A long way from anti-apartheid rallies in the 80s and all the better for it.  I still want to cry whenever I think of the day I watched Nelson Mandela walk out of prison on my landlady's telly in Brixton.  Human nature means that that pure moment of joy has not translated into long term happiness in South Africa but we all have a long way to go in our different countries.  

I have a friendship circle that is as diverse as it is eclectic and all the better for it. I grew up as the first generation in a newly independent country (Zimbabwe) with a very politically correct surname. I know this isn't the place for politics so won't venture that path but having seen the ruinous outcomes of divisive politics played out multiple times, it's galling that society seems perpetually doomed to repeat the mistakes of history. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Basher said:

This is a little sad, but you Africans may enjoy.

Thanks @Basher. It's a little sad but having been catching up on the news, a bit of levity is needed.

0027 is the international dialling code for South Africa amongst some other 'lekker' references in case anyone wondered.

Parts of it feel like a homage to 'The Braai' which was scripted by an old school mate. It's quite old now and features an English actor who became big on a daytime soap in the UK in the late '90s. In Australian money, he'd be Jason Donovan. Jake always claimed that 'The Braai' gave the English actor his big break and whenever I see pictures of the actor, I just see a kettle BBQ and that scene! 😁

• Haha 2

Very funny sketch @Braai-Q, a lot of good humour just holds up a mirror to reality ! Times they are a changing in our household at least. With the lovely weather here during lockdown and having the family back home we grilled most days. My daughters in particular were very keen, this time , to learn how to light the Weber, control the temp, learn the timings etc., so there is going to be a bit of competition when the KK arrives. It was like this when I built the WFO- I don't get a look in if the kids are down.

The chicken / vegetable line in the 0027 parody had me laughing out loud - I almost sent the link to a relative who is Veganese but not wishing them to take offence decided against it. I think that humour is surrendered at the same time as meat.

@sovsroc and @tekobo - will you be getting details of the name of the ship that is bringing your ovens over ??

Would be great to be able to track its journey.

49 minutes ago, RokDok said:

Very funny sketch @Braai-Q, a lot of good humour just holds up a mirror to reality ! Times they are a changing in our household at least. With the lovely weather here during lockdown and having the family back home we grilled most days. My daughters in particular were very keen, this time , to learn how to light the Weber, control the temp, learn the timings etc., so there is going to be a bit of competition when the KK arrives. It was like this when I built the WFO- I don't get a look in if the kids are down.

Tong master is a recognised term in our family's vocabulary. Cooking with fire is a great skill to have though. You'll have to get them on to 20-30 hour slow cooks on the KK. I don't really know what 'boss level' is in BBQ terms - going the whole hog must surely qualify for complexity and commitment. Certainly on a Weber!!! 

The chicken / vegetable line in the 0027 parody had me laughing out loud - I almost sent the link to a relative who is Veganese but not wishing them to take offence decided against it. I think that humour is surrendered at the same time as meat.

I think you're right on the surrender. But I learnt a long time ago that you don't mess with vegans - they're angry to start with and I don't think the jokes help. 😁

@sovsroc and @tekobo - will you be getting details of the name of the ship that is bringing your ovens over ??

Vesselfinder and Marine Traffic are both good AIS services and Dewi should give you the vessel name as part of the document set. You can set up alerts to notify you of activity and I remember the judgement I got when I did this. I think Mrs BQ called it 'the Santa NORAD tracker for grown men'. I then busted her looking at it a couple of times because she was 'interested in the route'. 

• Haha 3

That 0027 was sent to me by a Namibian friend who acknowledged I understood the need for charcoal/ timber fire to cook- now he has accepted me into his African family.
The Braai was better, however, old mate was right to pull them up for forking the snags. And I would welcome any lady who wanted to hang around the bbq.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 10/11/2020 at 9:40 AM, RokDok said:

MOL TRADITION

CURRENTLY UNDERWAY :)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, sovsroc said:

MOL TRADITION

CURRENTLY UNDERWAY :)

Oooh.  Exciting!!! Unfortunately my KKs are still stuck in Indonesia.  Apparently there was no room on the ship last week and they are now due to leave next week.  Patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 10/17/2020 at 2:02 PM, jonj said:

Patience is overrated

On 10/17/2020 at 10:13 PM, tony b said:

I agree with @jonj. Never been a virtue in my book! LOL!

Hey, patience is keeping me sane.  Having gone through the waiting for KK to land excitement/stress before I know that it will be super exciting when they arrive and that I will forget this waiting phase once they are here.  All good.  

• Like 2