Scott.W

Rotisserie problem

I got a rotisserie basket and the shaft for the motor is to long 7fb1b16ca450e366b36fbc1a4c512e91.jpg
Am I missing something? I cannot mount the motor to the grill. The motor is not spring loaded so I am stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1ab39c56ed3e0a9179f9477bff2d914c.jpg
This is everything that came with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to grind the square portion of the piece for mine to fit properly Scott. In the motor receptacle for this small shaft you should have a spring to accept some play for distance for a comfortable fit between the KK and motor once it's secured to it's housing. If you have a grinding wheel it would make quick work of it. Just go slowly with the removal of metal and fit it to the motor and align all your parts. It should come together for you eventually once you remove enough stock.

• Like 1

too have the issue of the shaft being too long. My bracket looks similar to Scott W's. Does not have the "stand offs" that appear in the picture from Basher. See attached photo. This is in a 23" Ultimate using the 50lb motor. The bolts for the wing nuts barely reach the slots. I can jiggle it and force it to be close enough, just barely, to allow the posts through the slots (slide the bracket up on the motor), but the tolerance is not very forgiving - especially when there is so much slot available. This has to fit better than this...

IMG_4569_3.jpg

Edited by davidcbaker

Basher - thanks.

I will take a couple more this afternoon. I saw a video that showed the "angled shuffle" but that would not work as the picture above shows the closest the unit can get to KK itself - the shaft is all the way inside the motor unit AND all the way inside the KK wall.

I do have the plate screwed into the Kamado with the three large hex head screws. I may not have tightened then all the way dow 'case that just makes it harder to mount (the plate ends up further away from the motor (closer to the KK body).

Hi David. My experience is that the shaft needs to be cut to fit your particular combination of motor and KK. That was true for me in the UK where I bought my motor locally but if you bought all the parts direct from Dennis then it may be worth contacting him to check if there is indeed something wrong with your set up.  

• Like 2

As an aside, I took my Dremel and extend the bolt slots on the bracket all the way out. Don't have to completely remove the wing nuts to get the bracket off and it makes putting the motor on/off much easier.

This won't solve your problem of the motor shaft being too long. You're probably going to need to trim that down a hair to fit. 

• Like 1

David, this is the motor sent to me for my 23. Notice the sleeve on the housing being able to accept the one on the KK. The shaft pin can be ground down to fit and also notice the spring on the shaft motor hole. This allows for distance, some shfts were really long and had to be trimmed considerably. Once my motor slides on the KK mounted post I slide two spring loaded pins into the holes to hold the motor steady

DSCF3164.JPG

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Basher said:

Can you post other pics from different angles?

It looks like you do not have the screws that insert from the top and put pressure on the plate. Installing does require an angled shuffle to get it into place.

David - I've attached a shot of mine so you have a view of the final setup. Slightly different configuration - 32KK and I'm using a Weber motor. I wanted to get the OneGrill 50lb motor but the joys of 110/230v reared their head so can't offer specific help but looks like you're right in that the drive shaft going into the body gear is too long and will require trimming. 

If you're using the tool hanger, fit it before you put the motor on otherwise you'll have to take the motor off to install it.

The inset area on the mounting bracket (where the washers and three largest bolts in shot are) should align with the two plates that sit below. I expect you can get away with it being offset but I aimed for the alignment to accommodate my OCD. 😀

I found it easier to install the wing nuts underneath to thumb tightness before using the allen key to tighten the bolts from above. When viewed from above, you want to be able to draw a continuous line between drive shaft in the body cavity of the KK and on the external drive that feeds into the motor unit. Don't overtighten them as you can force the mounting bracket down and it'll throw the external drive shaft out of alignment. 

There is some lens distortion introduced in the picture below due to the wide angle lens and due to close proximity when I took the shot - everything is straight / perpendicular. I used a small spirit level. 

IMG_3905.thumb.jpg.fa95542185b2993d25c6c22acae514a3.jpg

Thanks all!

Braai-Q - That looks like a perfect fit. I have no additional metal plate between the hanger bracket and the KK body. I removed the grill hanger. Adding additional plates between my hanger and the KK body would solve the problem. As would trimming the stainless steel shaft. Though I find it hard to believe that @DennisLinkletterwould have engineered this in such a way that 23" KK owners would have to shorten the shaft. I could also try some additional SS washers between my hanger and the KK's body.

Here are some additional shots that I promised @Basher

IMG_4571.jpg

IMG_4573.jpg

IMG_4572.jpg

16 hours ago, davidcbaker said:

Thanks all!

Braai-Q - That looks like a perfect fit. I have no additional metal plate between the hanger bracket and the KK body. I removed the grill hanger. Adding additional plates between my hanger and the KK body would solve the problem. As would trimming the stainless steel shaft. Though I find it hard to believe that @DennisLinkletterwould have engineered this in such a way that 23" KK owners would have to shorten the shaft. I could also try some additional SS washers between my hanger and the KK's body.

Here are some additional shots that I promised @Basher

IMG_4571.jpg

IMG_4573.jpg

IMG_4572.jpg

I agree on the engineering but to be fair to Dennis, I think there are so many motors on the market (a quick search on Amazon) that it must be nigh on impossible to legislate for every single variation. Is this a OneGrill 50lb motor? I think it's one that Dennis actually offers direct so I'd expect that to be a walk in the park. 

You can fit the tool hanger without actually attaching the wire frame, that extra mounting plate will pack out the side and might solve your problem by creating more depth. When you say it's too long, I'm not sure by how much but I'd suggest adding the tool hanger plate and seeing where that gets you. I don't use it but have the plate on in case I ever change my mind. I'd probably not remember what the hell it was if I came back to it later! You could pack out with washers but that would not be as stable as distributing the load against the steel plate and I imagine the 50lb motor carries a much greater heft. 

Looking at your last picture, it looks like your plate is offset over the hole. I set mine so that the circumference of the hole was perfectly spaced around the body gear (where the drive shaft enters the wall of the cooker) and everything else aligned neatly and without fuss. Just give it a push to the right as I found mine fitted to the contour of the KK body better when I did so. The trick is to do it before tightening if that's not an obvious thing to say. 

• Like 1

As noted, Dennis has struggled with this for years. Even the OneGrill motors have varied over the years, so there's no consistency there either. That's why he supplies shafts of different designs (square/hex) and lengths, trying to get as close as possible to every combination of motor/grill. 

@Braai-QThanks again for the pointers. I will re-align and add back the tool hanger plate and see if that gets me enough depth. Otherwise, on to my Dremel!

I do understand the impossibility of matching all combinations (software developer here - remember trying to get every printer to work on PCs in the early days). However, this is the combo direct from Dennis - the OneGril 50lb motor and the hex/square shaft that came with my 23" rotisserie.

Thanks all! Will post with results in a few days.

Edited by davidcbaker

Heylo Y'all..

The problem is that there is not much uniformity in the brackets and sockets between brands and even different batches of the same motors. Most brands have an open ended socket so that if it's on a spit the shaft can be any length. But some have shallow sockets.. Go figure... 
The other problem which we came up with a solution to is that some spin clockwise others counter clockwise..

8 hours ago, davidcbaker said:

@Braai-QThanks again for the pointers. I will re-align and add back the tool hanger plate and see if that gets me enough depth. Otherwise, on to my Dremel!

I do understand the impossibility of matching all combinations (software developer here - remember trying to get every printer to work on PCs in the early days). However, this is the combo direct from Dennis - the OneGril 50lb motor and the hex/square shaft that came with my 23" rotisserie.

Thanks all! Will post with results in a few days.

I generally work back to the most common or most likely use case when an answer eludes me and I think in this instance, more people than not will probably pack out the side with the three faceplates. People generally want more options than less (I think we all embrace the over-engineered aspect of the KK) so I'd be surprised if Dennis hadn't made the assumption that most will fit the three plates with the 50lb motor. Not sure what the quality or manufacturing tolerances on OneGrill motors are but it could be an expansion opportunity for @DennisLinkletterand he could start making his own motors. 

I'm generally not a fan of interventions with a Dremel or any 'destructive' power tool until I'm 150% confident that I've exhausted all other options and would probably prototype it with a dowel rod before committing to it. If you have a lathe, that would give a much neater finish.

The joy of printer connectivity and things like IRQ conflicts. I remember those and the heady days of SCSI or System Can't See It. I think this is less painful with more upside when you get cooking.