BARDSLJR

A difficult, complicated brisket cook

11 hours ago, BARDSLJR said:

As a point of clarification, I am not saying LANG stick-burners specifically are labor-intensive: ALL stick-burners require pretty frequent restocking of fuel and if so equipped, air flow adjustments. My KK, on the other hand, I can get set and walk away from it for 12 hours and the temp won't budge: on the other hand, you probably have a lot less air movement in the cooking chamber with the KK.  So you get something, you give something.

I got that. I just used Lang as an example of the type. 🤘

As to the first part, having spent what I spent on the KK, I am also certainly subject to the 1-in/out rule from my beloved. (And no more guitars!) I think she was not unhappy that I replaced the Lang, which she said looked like a small locomotive parked at the far end of our courtyard, with the KK, which has a certain aesthetic value.

As to the "difference"....Hmmmm. The brisket I have had from some of the better BBQ places in Austin- Franklin's, LA Barbecue, notably- is much better than the best I have produced at home, which was very good. But in addition to using an offset type smoker,they use 500 and 1,000 gallon converted propane tanks for their cooking, so the physics of the air flow and smoke management have to be quite different, and that has to impact the results. I know I can buy the same prime brisket, and we all use pretty much salt and pepper with some small variation. I am also not a professional who cooks (hundreds of pounds) of brisket every night, and learns from that experience. But I have produced excellent brisket on my KK- for sure, yes.

6 hours ago, Braai-Q said:

Do you feel the difference between a KK and Lang is born in the ease of achieving a consistent result, flavor or the enjoyment and ritual that comes with it? Are the results similar if you know how to use each pretty well?

Two schools, two studies and one result.  So yah, as long as your knowledgeable of both units and are well read a consistent product will be the result. The Lang is by far and as I think most would agree, a Smoker with a longer learning curve. There are far more variables too consider, it requires more attention and a level of consistent management. Maybe you could equate it to riding a bike...at first it's a rough start but eventually the ride improves. Personally I prefer the Lang for brisket, having the ability to burn solely wood and the different woods available contribute to a better product. Sometime there are days one needs a challenge and so the ritual of feeding and atteding a fire is a fix you can't deny and there are days you just want a smooth ride with the KK. You know, I probably have four router wood working tools, they each perform the same function however, each do it a little differently.  I would venture to say, you Braai-Q own more than one camera and possibly for the same reason. It's an expensive game to play, addicting but..,,enjoyable. So yes, the results are similar, but with brisket I give the edge to the Lang and if by chance you ever offered me a slice coming off your KK........I would never push the plate away

3 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Two schools, two studies and one result.  So yah, as long as your knowledgeable of both units and are well read a consistent product will be the result. The Lang is by far and as I think most would agree, a Smoker with a longer learning curve. There are far more variables too consider, it requires more attention and a level of consistent management. Maybe you could equate it to riding a bike...at first it's a rough start but eventually the ride improves. Personally I prefer the Lang for brisket, having the ability to burn solely wood and the different woods available contribute to a better product. Sometime there are days one needs a challenge and so the ritual of feeding and atteding a fire is a fix you can't deny and there are days you just want a smooth ride with the KK. You know, I probably have four router wood working tools, they each perform the same function however, each do it a little differently.  I would venture to say, you Braai-Q own more than one camera and possibly for the same reason. It's an expensive game to play, addicting but..,,enjoyable. So yes, the results are similar, but with brisket I give the edge to the Lang and if by chance you ever offered me a slice coming off your KK........I would never push the plate away

Nicely put Tyrus, palpable enthusiasm right there. Yeah, several bodies, several lenses. Different purposes, different outcomes. I think you reach a point in your skill with anything where you gain the ability to discern finer nuance. Or you could just embrace the Dunning-Kruger effect and spend a lot of time on Mount Stupid (peak confidence/little knowledge). I feel I'm on the slope of enlightenment and quite often, I find myself sliding down it after I read a couple of posts on here. 

I'm always available for taste testing which is the only way to resolve this conclusively. 🤭

• Haha 1

On 10/13/2020 at 5:48 PM, BARDSLJR said:

Say more about this Guru?....Where do we order them, how do they work with the KK, etc? I am not familiar.

https://bbqguru.com/

I bought my DigiQ-II for the old POSK and I've been using it ever since. I have replaced a couple of temperature probes, but no worse than any other temperature monitor. They hold up pretty well. I've have nothing but good things to say about mine. Like I said, I use it on all my longer cooks (over 4 hours). 

The KK has a port built in for the fan unit - so it's a "plug & play" application. When you buy whatever controller unit model you like, the fan is a separate purchase and you just get the one for the KK. 

There are other manufacturers of controllers/fans, but the Guru was pretty much the original (as far as I know) and Dennis has always worked with them to make them it super easy to adapt one to the KK. 

• Like 1