Braai-Q

Jamaican Goat Curry

We finally got to cook this today .

Fortunately our freezer in the garage broke down so we had to move our meat and fish to friends which gave us the chance to get our goat out and prepare the cook.

I'm a bit lame at the moment with a hopefully temporary hip problem so Mrs RD did the cook - she is an expert on South Indian curries ( I gave her 10 lessons for Xmas a few years ago from a delightful and very talented local Mumbai lady). Best present I've ever given.

I'd been waiting for my daughter to get hold of some Portland Heights Jamaican Curry Powder but we didn't have any so Mrs RD made it from scratch - recipe from the book C is for Carribean.

The last time we'd eaten proper curry goat was when we lived in Jamaica 35 years ago . We went with Ray a local and colleague up into "the hills" and chose a goat from a small flock that his folk had. Mrs RD made the mistake of naming the goat Winston - a fine fellow.

Next time we saw him he was in a large pot expertly cooked , together with a tub of " Mannish Water" - a delicious broth made of entrails.

The curry goat was for my leaving do, together with a few cases of Red Stripe and some rum punch.

I can't help feeling that Mrs RD was thinking of Winston when she was cooking today - but she still ate a healthy portion.

Didn't have Scotch Bonnet unfortunately and one or two ingredients had to be subbed but it was pretty much to your recipe @Braai-Q, and delicious it was too so thanks for that.

• Like 4

On 1/11/2021 at 10:46 PM, RokDok said:

Next time we saw him he was in a large pot expertly cooked , together with a tub of " Mannish Water" - a delicious broth made of entrails.

My wife won't eat goat and I think this sentence would put her off forever! 

On 1/11/2021 at 10:46 PM, RokDok said:

The curry goat was for my leaving do, together with a few cases of Red Stripe and some rum punch.

I can't help feeling that Mrs RD was thinking of Winston when she was cooking today - but she still ate a healthy portion.

Didn't have Scotch Bonnet unfortunately and one or two ingredients had to be subbed but it was pretty much to your recipe @Braai-Q, and delicious it was too so thanks for that.

Glad you enjoyed. Sounds like the substitutions didn't detract from the enjoyment. You'll have to give me your match report when you've got all the ingredients. 

• Like 1