Braai-Q

Jamaican Goat Curry

So, I wrote up my Jamaican Goat Curry recipe as it seemed a popular request. It's an amalgamation of the work of 2 Jamaicans (1 a friend and the other a contributing writer to Food52) so I can't claim it as my own although I've made a few little tweaks here and there which I've detailed below. Once you've made it a few times and have a good feel for it, you'll likely make adjustments to your taste.

I think marinating it makes a difference and a variation I haven't tried (but is on my to do list) is to marinade and then grill on the KK. Once sealed, then mix with coconut milk (around step 5) and finish in the Dutch oven on a slow cook for a few hours. I've not done this yet but I think it would be a superb variation and impart some smoke into the meat. I think I wouldn't be able to help myself and would just end up just eating Jamaican Goat Kebabs! 

FYI: @tekobo @RokDok @jonj @sovsroc

Ingredient List

1-1.5kg diced Goat Meat (can substitute for Lamb). 
Depending on what is available, you can also use shanks and leave the bone in for additional flavour. With a low, slow cook, the meat will collapse off the bone.
Fresh Lemon Juice (approximately half a juicy lemon)
Approx 0.5 cup vegetable oil (adjust to eye, see notes below for method)
2 teaspoons grated ginger (peeled)
2 teaspoons crushed garlic (2-3 cloves)
1 Medium onion (sliced)
4-5 Tablespoons Curry Powder (see notes below on flavour profile)
1 Teaspoon White Pepper
1-2 Teaspoons Fresh Thyme (chopped)
2 Spring Onions / Scallions (sliced)
2-3 Potatoes (medium sized)
1 Teaspoon Brown Sugar 
1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste (double concentrate preferably)
1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper (can substitute to taste)
1 Tablespoon Bouillon Powder
Salt + Pepper (season to taste)

1. Squeeze lemon juice and massage through the meat. Set aside aside for no more than 5 minutes.

Depending on how much time, you can amalgamate steps 3 and 4 into the uncooked mixture and leave it to marinade (covered) in the fridge for at least 2 hours. If so, reduce the salt, pepper, curry powder and oil by half and introduce what you reserve when you've put the mixture in the hot oil and start to cook. Bring the mixture to room temperature before cooking. 

2. Heat oil over medium heat, then add the meat. Saute and keep stirring until the meat is browned. Start with 50% of the oil and add a little more as you go to prevent the dish from becoming too oily. 
3. Add curry powder, stir through the meat until fully coated.
4. Add the garlic, ginger, white pepper, onions, thyme, tomato paste, green onions and pepper. Stir through for 1-2 minutes.
5. Pour in sufficient water to cover the meat and bring to a boil. Leave to simmer until tender. If I want to make a creamy version to cut some of the heat of the Scotch Bonnet, I'll replace water for Coconut Milk to enrich the sauce. I tend to use a slow cooker for this dish but it'll work absolutely fine on the KK in a dutch oven - about 110°C - 120°C for 2-3 hours.
6. Cook for approximately 2-3 hours and approximately 30 minutes before finishing, add potatoes and bouillon powder. If you want to thicken the curry, cook it for longer but ideally (particularly if you've added coconut milk), you'll have a dense sauce already so will be looking for a tender, soft potato which still retains its shape. You can make adjustments with water or more coconut milk to preference.

Some tips:
The curry powder and the Scotch Bonnet are key to the flavour profile of this dish. I like hot food so slice the Scotch Bonnet and throw it in with the seeds. I find the Scotch Bonnet has a characteristic flavour so would rather mitigate the heat of it through coconut milk or serving it with yoghurt, not including the seeds or reducing the quantity I add to the dish. 

Jamaican curry powder has a strong turmeric base, my preference for the recipe is Portland Mills Jamaican Curry Powder which is still made in Kingston. You can make it from scratch but it's quite an involved blend and as I don't use it beyond this dish, adopted an authentic, high quality pre-made curry powder as second prize. 

Be warned that the mix is very strong smelling and will taint your fridge if you don't seal it properly. Curried cheese or butter has never caught on for a reason. Not that this has ever happened to me. I just hope my wife never reads the forum otherwise this is going to haunt me. 🤭

Serve with plain pilau or basmati rice but traditionally, it's served with Caribbean Rice and Beans. I like it with a simple rice as the dish is so flavoursome. Top with fresh chopped coriander and greek yoghurt on the side for those who may find the heat too much. 

Let me have some feedback once you've made it or any suggestions to improve it. I look forward to pictures on the Everyday Misc Cooking Thread. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Looks great [mention=3367]Braai-Q[/mention].  Freezer is bursting at the seams at the mo but just as soon as I can make some space I will be getting some goat to try this out.  That said... I do have some mutton. Hmmm.

It’s an easy recipe and I think it would work well with mutton. Mutton is so underrated. I wonder if hoggett would work as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I have the ingredients on hand for a Jamaican curry powder, and I don't have an easy source for Portland Mills Jamaican Curry Powder. I like making spice blends from scratch. The one unusual ingredient that jumps out at me is allspice, and as you say, lots of turmeric.

I loved my visit to Jamaica, and the smoke that got into everything (either Pimento wood, or cannabis, or both!). I wonder what the best way would be to introduce smoke into this recipe.

Does anyone have good sources for Pimento wood? I've heard of throwing in allspice berries. I tried growing Pimento wood back when California still had winter frosts (remember butterflies? remember winter? remember those famous coastal cities from the twentieth century?). The frost killed my tree.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Syzygies said:

I have the ingredients on hand for a Jamaican curry powder, and I don't have an easy source for Portland Mills Jamaican Curry Powder. I like making spice blends from scratch. The one unusual ingredient that jumps out at me is allspice, and as you say, lots of turmeric.

Not sure where you are Syzygies but recall you're in the US. Not sure how far off from Portland you are but a shop I know there would post some to you. When I was working in Portland, there was a great spice shop called The Spice & Tea Exchange - they will do All Spice - ground or whole for about US$3.30. They were passionate and service focused so I'm sure they'd be happy to help. 

I loved my visit to Jamaica, and the smoke that got into everything (either Pimento wood, or cannabis, or both!). I wonder what the best way would be to introduce smoke into this recipe.

I had thought of sealing the meat on the grill after a long marinade and then letting it slow cook in the mixture for a few hours to cook it through. It depends on the cut of goat, we're fortunate in being able to specify exactly what we want from our butcher as they raise them. 

Edited by Braai-Q
typo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Syzygies said:

Does anyone have good sources for Pimento wood?

Here are a couple of places I have used. Pimento Wood is a US-based importer; MyIslandJamaica is in Jamaica. Tony also uses MyIslandJamaica and we both ordered and received some wood from Wellesley this summer, but it isn't shown on the Etsy site right now. May be worth an email to him.

Both sites also have leaves and berries. MyIslandJamaica also has a wide variety of other Jamaican products (curry, molasses, lemon grass, etc.). 

https://pimentowood.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MyIslandJamaica?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=786121903

• Like 1

Good work. While I posted the recipe on to the forum, I tend to cook it on a Sage slow cooker so you don't need to wait for the KK to arrive before trying it. I look forward to your feedback and pictures.

I think you're right on the ingredients but if you stick within a specific cuisine or adjacent, I find you maximise use and don't end up wasting ingredients by having them go stale. We tend to go through phases of certain types of cuisines for this reason but American BBQ is less problematic than mixing Indian, Thai and Japanese for example. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jonj said:

Here are a couple of places I have used. Pimento Wood is a US-based importer; MyIslandJamaica is in Jamaica. Tony also uses MyIslandJamaica and we both ordered and received some wood from Wellesley this summer, but it isn't shown on the Etsy site right now. May be worth an email to him.

Both sites also have leaves and berries. MyIslandJamaica also has a wide variety of other Jamaican products (curry, molasses, lemon grass, etc.). 

https://pimentowood.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MyIslandJamaica?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=786121903

I just emailed Wellesley about the wood, SHE normally responds quickly. One thing to note if you do order pimento wood from Jamaica, it has to go through agricultural quarantine upon entry into the US, so it sits for about 3 weeks before it continues shipment to you. So, don't expect it right away. 

And, it seems that pimentowood.com is sold out of the leaves and can't restock them right now. 

So, it looks like a split order if you want them anytime soon. Regular allspice berries from the supermarket work just fine in the smoker pot with the wood and the leaves.

• Like 1

Got my reply from Wellesley. As suspected, there's a new quarantine on the pimento wood. Fingers crossed it will be lifted soon.

"Sorry my friend, I had to deactivate it, even though I have quite a few pounds on my hand now.

According to a recent release from Jamaica's Ministry Of Agriculture, Plant Quarantine Division, all plant and plant products to the USA now require a special US Import Licence and a PhytoSanitary certificate, otherwise it can't be sent.

And even worst, they have singled out and put a suspension on Pimento Wood, with no timeline given!

The Covid restrictions were recently lifted and we were able to ship again, but now this. But I am a man of faith and so I trust and believe that all this works out soon.

Regards,
WG."

• Sad 1