BOC

Hello from Michigan

Worked with Dennis on an order for a big bad.  The forum helped me choose that over ultimate.  Excited to be a part of the club.  If anyone has accessory suggestions, lmk.  Only have the stone, and two SS side tables for now.  Will be mostly low and slow and grilling, so mostly proteins.  Will add a cover I’m sure, to keep that bad boy out of the snowy Michigan winters.

• Like 7

I'm across the river from Detroit in Canada so welcome to the club! Your FIRST PRIORITY is to make sure you have a cover before or at the time of delivery. As you know, Michigan weather is very unpredictable and you cannot leave your cooker uncovered (cold/wet/ice weather) if you're not using it. If your cooker gets wet and then freezes, it will eventually cause problems.

Prepare to be amazed! You've joined a fantastic community.

Joe

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Your wait begins. Exciting times.

Some very nice peeps on here to help you choose your accessory's, i would definatley go for the cover some will say it's better to get it all in one go to save on shipping costs later.

I got most bits when i ordered the grill easier to get it past the wife than keep adding later :)

• Like 2

On top of the other suggestions - pizza stone, basket splitter, rotisserie rod/forks/basket, and definitely a cover (I live in Iowa, so I know what winters are like in the midwest!) - load up that pallet with as much coconut charcoal, coffee wood chunks and coffee wood charcoal, as you can fit. Right now, it's the only way to get any here in the States. 

• Like 4

@Pequod.   I have not seen these posts. Anything I can search for to find them?  I was leaning that way, but I am really keen on the vibrant blue and pebbles are no longer made in vibrant blue.

I am surprised to read one of the other would have much more superiority for cooking.  Would love to read more to understand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BOC said:

@Pequod.   I have not seen these posts. Anything I can search for to find them?  I was leaning that way, but I am really keen on the vibrant blue and pebbles are no longer made in vibrant blue.

I am surprised to read one of the other would have much more superiority for cooking.  Would love to read more to understand.

@BOC there are unsubstantiated claims by owners of KKs with pebbles that say that pebbles cook best sprinkled through out the posts on this forum.  Nobody, not even those of us who own KKs with pebbles, really believes this claim but it is fun to needle those with tiled KKs.  Either way, your KK is going to be a revelation when you receive it.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, tekobo said:

@BOC there are unsubstantiated claims by owners of KKs with pebbles that say that pebbles cook best sprinkled through out the posts on this forum.  Nobody, not even those of us who own KKs with pebbles, really believes this claim but it is fun to needle those with tiled KKs.  Either way, your KK is going to be a revelation when you receive it.  

She spoiled the fun.

Consider yourself fully initiated. Someone will be along to show you the secret handshake and recipe for offal shortly.

Had you purchased a 42 there’s a separate initiation ritual involving a goat sacrifice. 

Edited by Pequod
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, tekobo said:

Haha!  Now that I know I may have to start a trend for the L-7s out here.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, BOC said:

I was leaning that way, but I am really keen on the vibrant blue and pebbles are no longer made in vibrant blue.

Hey there.  Looking forward to your colour and tile choice.  I liked the vibrant blue too but The Husband vetoed it so I never got to the stage of finding out it wasn't available.  I had no idea what an L-7 was.  A kind friend googled it for me. 

• Haha 1

Welcome on board. Great product, great community to be a part of. I see that everyone who has posted above has already attempted to empty your wallet and persuade you to buy any accessories you may have missed or not thought you needed. Some great forum teamwork! 😄

Some notes from experience - 

- Pebbles are the best. Especially black. Thermal efficiency, heat soaking. Cooks on black pebble KKs are scientifically proven to be better, moister, more flavoursome. I may be joking but I think the pebbles suit the shape best.

- If you're doing proteins, the rotisserie is a great addition. Something about a self basted chicken. Pure perfection. 

- Get the tables with the stainless steel tops. If you ever spill anything, you don't have to worry as much about raised grain and it buys you a bit of forgiveness. 

- The cover is made of Sunbrella fabric which is typically used in marine applications. You can order swatches direct from Sunbrella to help make a choice before ordering but I've got them for both my KKs and both are very well made and have been templated to the extent that even the grill handle is accommodated. Every BBQ cover I've ever had has been a vague approximation of the shape and sits loosely, not so with these. I got bonus points for matching the covers to the cushion cover fabric of our outdoor dining chair cushions. I'm in the UK and the weather is generally miserable so I'd always argue that a cover is an essential item. 

Shout if you have any questions. 

• Like 7

The cover is a must for sure for KK’s sitting in the elements, especially with the wide temp ranges in the Midwest. I’m from Grand Rapids originally, where are you at in MI? Such a gorgeous state, I miss it but try to visit family at least yearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The cover is a must for sure for KK’s sitting in the elements, especially with the wide temp ranges in the Midwest. I’m from Grand Rapids originally, where are you at in MI? Such a gorgeous state, I miss it but try to visit family at least yearly.

@SSgt93 Southwest Michigan in Portage. A town once unknown by almost everyone and we’d usually say Kalamazoo. But now that the COVID vaccine is rolling out I’m betting many more of the forum will have heard of Portage.

Love GR. Great town.

• Like 1

[mention=3374]SSgt93[/mention] Southwest Michigan in Portage. A town once unknown by almost everyone and we’d usually say Kalamazoo. But now that the COVID vaccine is rolling out I’m betting many more of the forum will have heard of Portage.

Love GR. Great town.

I’ve been through Portage for sure, very cool. Grand a rapids has changed quite a bit over the years. A great place to shop and eat. That seems to be the theme there at least lol. I miss the summer’s in Grand Haven. Anyways, very cool. If you have any questions on the 42 or anything shoot me a message.

Aside from all the extras and if you don't have one already is a ThermoPro pen instant read thermometer.  All kamado's have a great recovery time vs other cookers once you open your pit, but the KK comes back the quickest once heat soaked and gives you the opportunity to check your meat more often. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking, something to consider if it's not there in your arsenal.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tyrus said:

Aside from all the extras and if you don't have one already is a ThermoPro pen instant read thermometer.  All kamado's have a great recovery time vs other cookers once you open your pit, but the KK comes back the quickest once heat soaked and gives you the opportunity to check your meat more often. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking, something to consider if it's not there in your arsenal.

Or a set of wireless thermometers, like the Maverick XR-50, so you don't have to open the lid to check the meat temperatures. 

@Tony B and@Tyrus. Great suggestions. Been eyeing a thermapro a while but haven’t been able to pull the trigger yet. Having a guru and I grill, I haven’t had a huge need yet but they could change, especially if using the rotisserie or high heat for final sear.

I think I’m going to have to give it a few trial runs before picking up any more new toys but I have a feeling that it won’t take long before that itch gets scratched.

Wound up with a cover, baking stone, basket splitter, roto cradle, reducer and motor, and cold smoker. Stainless side tables and grate grabbers for the cherry on top.

• Like 3