Tyrus

Jealous Devil

Has anyone tried this in one of their cookers? It's new to me and thought for those with Pizza ovens, Argentine or Santa Maria style grills might find this useful. They also can be used in other applications or simply burning in a fire place. Quite heavy, shipped from Amazon at approx 35lbs with 12 logs in the package. No fillers or binders and stated safe for cooking. Said they burn around 1500 degrees. You might want look them up yourself on Amazon....I couldn't find the correct angle to stop the reflection coming off the flash so picture quality isn't quite there. I did try.

DSCF3163.JPG

DSCF3162.JPG

• Like 2

It does mention "no sparking" also Toney. Thought maybe Tekebo would find this as an alternative on the Argentine and maybe Ckreef in his Pizza oven. Don't know about a solo stove. The item was priced well here in the states, a 35lb package in Great Britain may be another story.  

Hi there @Tyrus. Interesting.  I am using my Argentinian grill a lot more now and was initially worried about how much char I was burning through compared to the KK but have now got down to creating a single layer of hot coals and having more patience with the cooks.  It doesn't look like I can get hold of these fire logs in the UK but I do have some Cuban Marabu on the way which I hope will burn hotter and longer than my current char. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jonj said:

No pictures??

Well, I got one for ya jonj.  Chicken thighs on a spin

1 hour ago, tekobo said:

patience with the cooks.

It was worth mentioning I thought and seeing wood on that huge island is a scarcity however, if you do get a bundle on occasion use them with the coals to have the flame lick the piece your cooking. Raising and lowering that grate with a dancing flame is a happy game to play.  Wood is a resource I have plenty of and generally give away much of it to my daughter and her husband for fire wood. 

DSCF3158.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jonj said:

No pictures??

Been meaning to post a recent steak cook but have had problems with synching across my devices. Will do so soon...

1 hour ago, Tyrus said:

t was worth mentioning I thought and seeing wood on that huge island is a scarcity however, if you do get a bundle on occasion use them with the coals to have the flame lick the piece your cooking. Raising and lowering that grate with a dancing flame is a happy game to play. 

I agree that it would be fun but I found that burning wood on the Argentinian grill created way too much smoke. You appear to have a much bigger garden than I do so you won't be annoying your neighbours with the smoke.  Cooking over the solo stove helped to eliminate the smoke issue so that is my go-to for fun wood fire cooking.  

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 6:05 PM, Tyrus said:

Has anyone tried this in one of their cookers? It's new to me and thought for those with Pizza ovens, Argentine or Santa Maria style grills might find this useful. They also can be used in other applications or simply burning in a fire place. Quite heavy, shipped from Amazon at approx 35lbs with 12 logs in the package. No fillers or binders and stated safe for cooking. Said they burn around 1500 degrees. You might want look them up yourself on Amazon....I couldn't find the correct angle to stop the reflection coming off the flash so picture quality isn't quite there. I did try.

DSCF3163.JPG

If you're on a modern iPhone, the easiest fix for this is to step back and make the 2x zoom do the work. You can pinch and zoom but better to use the optical lens than the 'digital zoom' although it will work, the quality won't be as good and the image will be a bit soft depending on how much zoom you apply. Due to the focal length of the lens, it compresses perspective sufficient to not include directional flare or reflection that you'd get if you were closer but still allows you to be perpendicular to the object you're photographing. I use the technique all the time if I have directional light behind me and don't want my shadow in the picture. You can also use a torch to bounce light off the ceiling to diffuse and even the illumination on whatever you're photographing. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tyrus said:

That's too bad Tekebo...you certainly don't want them screaming down at you from up on high. What's a fire without smoke, it's like having a Porsche and the speed limits 20mph. Glad you worked your way around the this little road block.

Tee hee.  Have driven a Porsche at scary speeds on a German motorway and don't plan to do it again anytime soon.  Same with billowing smoke.  No one has complained yet but I would rather not get to that stage. 

Tried to message you at the start of the season when you lost narrowly to the Hawks.  Things looked promising at that point.  Not so good now.  My birds are rallying and I am hoping that we can run away with our poor division.  Anyway, whenever I try to send you a PM the system says "Tyrus cannot receive messages".  So, which is it?  Is your mailbox too full or have you blocked me because your team is not doing so well?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

No way, Jose...let me check...... AAHHH, when I hit the compose button it stated that my inbox was full and I would have to delete some messages to communicate. Sorry, didn't realize there was limited space. Kinda glad that happened, you may have drawn me into a new bet and the way the Pats have been playing you would have cashed in on me early...saved by a technicality. Glad you two have enjoyed the experience of riding down the Autobahn like Mad dogs and Englishmen/women, there's still time left.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Kinda glad that happened, you may have drawn me into a new bet and the way the Pats have been playing you would have cashed in on me early...saved by a technicality.

Unlucky me, would have liked to get ahead this season.  It's shaping up well, with some teams performing way below their talent levels and others surprising us.  Not so much "any given Sunday" as "any given team".   

• Like 1