Pequod

My Time Machine

4 hours ago, Pequod said:

It was nominated for Top Pick on AstroBin. Not sure exactly what that means other than the little arrow badge.

https://astrob.in/a2qih5/0/

I clicked that link. Totally awesome detail you posted. 

This is probably a stupid question but here goes. Does 10x200" mean 10 frames at 200 seconds (3 minutes 20 seconds)? 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Really beautiful @Pequod.  Thank you for sharing.  That is, literally, a whole other world.  And rabbithole.  

Exactly right on the rabbithole. I though KK'ing was an obsession. Pfffft! That's nothing compared to astrophotography. Now I daydream about my next scope, mount, camera, filters...and whether I can sneak an observatory past my Homeowners' Association...and wife. <_<

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Pequod said:

Exactly right on the rabbithole. I though KK'ing was an obsession. Pfffft! That's nothing compared to astrophotography. Now I daydream about my next scope, mount, camera, filters...and whether I can sneak an observatory past my Homeowners' Association...and wife. <_<

I thought you were pushing it, getting your wife a konro for her Christmas present.   You appear to have gotten away with that one but I am pretty sure she will notice someone building an observatory in your back garden.

Is it your new home location that has brought all of this on or were you already into space photography before you moved?  The whole idea of a time machine reminds me of how we represent the deep past in broken English in Nigeria: before-before.  What could be older than before-before?

2 hours ago, tekobo said:

I thought you were pushing it, getting your wife a konro for her Christmas present.   You appear to have gotten away with that one but I am pretty sure she will notice someone building an observatory in your back garden.

Is it your new home location that has brought all of this on or were you already into space photography before you moved?  The whole idea of a time machine reminds me of how we represent the deep past in broken English in Nigeria: before-before.  What could be older than before-before?

Oooh. You’ve sparked an idea. My wife. She needs a shed...with a roll off roof...and high speed internet. 

Chicken and egg. I was a space nerd decades ago. All of my degrees are aerospace engineering. There’s a period of my life when I worked on big rockets that launched people into space. I couldn’t indulge my astronomy interests much in DC due to light pollution. We chose our new location, in part, by consulting light pollution maps, in addition to local food scene and wineries. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

More fun. A two panel mosaic of three (3!) nebula. The Spider (upper right), Tadpoles (middle), and Flaming Star (lower right). In spite of appearing co-located, Tadpoles is about 12,000 light years away and Flaming Star is right next door -- only 1500 light years away.

Tadpoles_FlamingStar_Final.thumb.jpg.dbd72adf7e676d523ebd00da38dc3049.jpg

Edited by Pequod
  • Like 7

Lousy weather means reprocessing old pics. First, a starless Rosette Nebula. Going artsy here, bringing out a 3D effect.

BB2AA5AA-8D6B-471A-9C0C-7F714AB74046.thumb.jpeg.03e3aa85261026cb20ac21df28b7002d.jpeg

And the Heart Nebula revisited. Again, bringing out more depth and 3D effect.

F6E71153-B22A-4BBB-961D-BCA282B9D07A.thumb.jpeg.720c9fcf3eff8d22b1a80a210dfb4a8f.jpeg

Signature is that of my Instagram account for astrophotgraphy, which has been adding 100 followers a week. I’m like Science Elvis. Or at least Science Bosco. 🤔

Edited by Pequod
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Basher said:

Pequod I’m heading to Central Australia in June- mid winter.
I’d love to have some of your equipment for a closer look... and some photos.
It’ll be hard to justify for a one off trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of Aussie astrophotographers. But this makes a great scope for casual users: Celestron NexStar 8SE Computerized Telescope (optcorp.com)

[mention=3378]Basher[/mention] BEWARE! I see a new rabbit hole opening up! Seriously expensive hobby when the "entry level" scope is $1200 on Sale!

Thanks pequod.
Tony I had a glimpse last night.
This is the mother of all rabbit holes. I had no idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1