Pequod

My Time Machine

Pequod I dropped into a local astrology warehouse about 2km from work called Sirius Optics. They have the Nexstar Evolution 6 on sale...... I’m still very scared. As I picked the brains of an old fella who told me about his “amateur” setup after 8 years of star gazing, he blew my mind.
Not sure I can take this much further. Too many rabbits .
Dam you Pequod this is suppose to be a bbq blog!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Basher said:

Pequod I dropped into a local astrology warehouse about 2km from work called Sirius Optics. They have the Nexstar Evolution 6 on sale...... I’m still very scared. As I picked the brains of an old fella who told me about his “amateur” setup after 8 years of star gazing, he blew my mind.
Not sure I can take this much further. Too many rabbits emoji235.png.
Dam you Pequod this is suppose to be a bbq blog! emoji854.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come to the Dark Side. The *real* dark side! As in, you've got the bug and are about to spend sleepless nights under the stars. :smt023

My advice: If you don't want to spend much, look into an 8-10" Dobsonian. They're inexpensive and provide exceptional views. Only problem is lack of "GoTo" and tracking. You'll have to learn to star hop. The great thing about the Nexstar 6 (or more) is that it has both of those. You don't need to know much to get going. Push a button and you're looking at something spectacular. That said...if you can afford it, an 8" (or more) is the way to go. Basic math -- 8" collects nearly double the light of a 6".

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 10:10 AM, jonj said:

... keep your hands and wallet where you can see them.

I hate to tell you how much I just dropped on filters...4 tiny pieces of glass...

Cone_final_cropped_signed-DeNoiseAI-denoise.thumb.jpg.88781c77860d038ff513bb79f2b56d6b.jpg

From bottom to top: Cone Nebula, Christmas Tree Cluster, Fox Fur Nebula (looking particular foxy today). To the upper right with a bison head is the B39 dark nebula. An unnamed formation spotted by a friend is...SHREK. Is or is that not Shrek in the upper left???

Edited by Pequod
  • Like 4

Each shot is composed of typically hundreds of exposures from 60 to 300 seconds each across multiple filters. These are integrated into master frames for each filter. Those frames are then processed in various ways, color combined, etc. to produce the final color image. Most of it is science. Some of it is art. For example, the seagull nebula is in false color, but those colors expose real data - regions of hydrogen, sulfur and oxygen emissions. The true color would be very red.

• Like 2

I actually had someone on Instagram ask if I’m planning an exhibition somewhere post COVID. 😳 Apparently I’m now part of the local art scene (riiiiiiiight...).

And then there’s @Steve M...”is that a chicken bone?” Hamburger galaxy, Steve! Hamburger! 😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pequod said:

I actually had someone on Instagram ask if I’m planning an exhibition somewhere post COVID. 😳 Apparently I’m now part of the local art scene (riiiiiiiight...).

And then there’s @Steve M...”is that a chicken bone?” Hamburger galaxy, Steve! Hamburger! 😂😂

Don't ruin my dreams. :smt046

• Haha 1