Siu

Height of 42”kk

I have a bad back and worried about how much bending I have to do. Dennis says the main grate is about 32” which is a little low but fine. The lower grate is around 27 1/2 and that’s very low. What do you all cook on the lower, main or upper grates?  Thank you. 

9 hours ago, Siu said:

What do you all cook on the lower, main or upper grates?  Thank you. 

Food. You're welcome.

I cook most everything on the main grate. Exception being steaks. They go on the lower (sear) grate. The sear grate on the main grate elevates food into the reflective dome of the KK for pizzas and such. If you're worried about the lower grate being too low use longer tools to reach the food. 

• Like 2

Hi @Siu.  I am with Paul, I use the main grate most of the time.  One potential consideration with the 42, if you have a bad back, is the weight of the grates.  Moving them to fill up with char for example, might be a challenge.  Others on the forum who own a 42 are better placed to say.  

• Like 1

I have no inherent "grate bias," as I cook on all of them, but the main grate sees a majority of the duty. It's one of the things that makes the KK unique - the versatility. When using the lower grates, I don't bend over the grill (usually will get you a face full of smoke!). As Paul said, just score longer tools. 

tekobo makes a good point about the weight of the grates on the 42". Consult with Dennis to see what will work out best for your cooking needs and physical capabilities. 

• Like 1

The options of cooking on different grates, direct or indirect are endless. I don’t think the bending while cooking will be the biggest issue, I’m guessing it will be cleaning/refilling and the moving of grates/accessories. The 42” is a monster and so are the parts. Of course this can be easier done by having a nice storage system close to the grilling area, or even a nice cart to help move accessories/charcoal around. It’s an amazing grilling system. The options are endless.

(Edited for autocorrects that made me laugh)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2