ckreef

The Reef's Been Busy

I've not been on BBQ forums much lately so what have we been doing? As you all know we bought a travel trailer earlier this year and have been camping once a month ever since. We also wanted to start riding bicycles.  Mrs skreef needed a new bicycle but nice bicycles have been in short supply since Covid-19 hit. We solved that problem with a fully customized beach cruiser from Vivelo Bicycles out of Miami, FL. It includes a 7 speed rear hub with twist grip shifter. 

vivelonew.thumb.jpg.01d8cf744c5b141bc7f218215de30d29.jpg

We also go geocaching on the bicycles. Here's a few pictures:

geostage4.thumb.jpg.f899edbc9e621e99e910e92e4dc49795.jpg

endlesdvivelo.thumb.jpg.ff9f6c2428027c00491402f96a057fb2.jpg

1stjekyll.thumb.jpg.a0291ad7a336b366820cc340f22f371b.jpg

This weekend we're camping near Jekyll Island, GA. We took the bicycles down Driftwood Beach in Jekyll Island for a nice picnic lunch. 

dwblunch.thumb.jpg.29416bba7883c9ef9cc38ad3c2f683c3.jpg

Anyway, that and work has been keeping us busy. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, tony b said:

Interesting bike you've got there, ckreef. Almost recumbent? 

I've had that for over 16 years now. It was built by a fairly famous custom chopper bicycle builder in Canada. It too has a 7 speed rear hub but I installed a 60's vintage Schwinn Stingray suicide shifter. It's fun to ride and definitely gets a lot of attention. 

• Haha 1

Cool bikes CKreef, when you get to the point that pedaling up those long steep hills become a chore slide your seat onto this seat. Great for camping, 50 mile range, folds in half and seat slides in with handle bars fold down to make a nice package. Tired of pedaling, need a start at the stop sign,,no worry, hit the throttle. 500 watt motor peaking at 750.  Unfortunately they only come in B&W not so pretty as yours but, the effort is sooooo easy 

6 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Cool bikes CKreef, when you get to the point that pedaling up those long steep hills become a chore slide your seat onto this seat. Great for camping, 50 mile range, folds in half and seat slides in with handle bars fold down to make a nice package. Tired of pedaling, need a start at the stop sign,,no worry, hit the throttle. 500 watt motor peaking at 750.  Unfortunately they only come in B&W not so pretty as yours but, the effort is sooooo easy 

Ebikes were never really a thought. Both me and Mrs skreef sit on our butts 10+ hours a day at work. We figured we needed a bit of exercise. 

I imagine a few years down the road when we retire we'll consider a ebike. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ckreef said:

I imagine a few years down the road when we retire we'll consider a ebike

Retire?  Ebikes aren't retirement, to tell you the truth,  you would probably travel 3x the distance on an ebike vs a conventional bike and enjoy the same benefit of exercise physically within the same time frame.  Don't discount an ebike because it allows assistance, but think of it as a carrier to give you that objective you couldn't accomplish with a normal bike.  That's the truth, so help me God.  Toney, I had the 5 speed purple banana seat Schwinn, bought it at Sears,.. today?,,,wish I had it.  I know where I left it, it's not there

• Like 3