mguerra

Special Trick for Pulled Pork

Happens to the best of us, Doc! 

I see that you're still experimenting with the combo of pressure cooking and smoking. I remember you doing that before with pork ribs. I tried it and was pleasantly surprised that they didn't taste "parboiled" like some BBQ places do to get "falling off the bone" ribs - a style that I don't particularly care for. 

Edited by tony b
  • Like 1

Doc, you don't look old at all. The tires on my car are older than you,,,almost.  Although I'm not a user/owner of a pressure cooker I do have to say the process cuts the time and if smoke can be applied later ..well it's a game changer.  I kinda remember back in the early 60's  my mom had a pressure cooker, twist on lid with a regulator of sorts and a valve up top all made of Al, supper was sure quick. I guess something new came along or Mom got tired of it, think it's somewhere in the cellar.  If your interested I'll see if I can track it down, just for comparison sake. 

@Troble - be careful with those really old pressure cookers - they were known to explode/overpressure. Didn't have all the safety features that the news ones do. My mom had one with the weight on the spindle to regulate the pressure, it would hop up/down and sputter steam. As a kid, I thought it was neat. Now as an Engineer, it was pretty scary. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good video.. Never complain about how old you look.. we've earned all those "character lines" on our faces!
If I needed to make lost of pulled pork commercially maybe but I would miss my BARK..
I salt first then slather heavily with French's mustard then add my salt free spices to cover the mustard.
The mustard reduces down, absorbs smoke and fat to become a chewy magical jacket.

I would also refrigerate the pulled insta-potted pork before I smoked it.. First, if cold more condensation of the smoke/vapor will take place and second I can smoke it longer before it gets to where it's over 195º and breaking down turning to baby food..

But yes I love my instapot too..  I got a brisket the other day that the flat was only 2" thick at it's thickest.. I cut it off and instapotted it and then smoked it cold with my smoke generator at 250º.  It was still moist!

• Like 3