LeadDog

Sourdough Starter (Make Your Own)

Well...I'd love to tell you about my Ciabatta experience on the kk last night' date=' but I got so involved I forgot to take pics...so I guess it didn't happen. :roll:[/quote']Well, you can tell us what you IMAGINED happened. :wink:

Just know it didn't REALLY happen unless there are pics. :)

Started my starter on Saturday (using whole wheat flour) using the instructions in the first post (2 tbps flour + 2 tbps water a day)...

I'ts now Wednesday evening and I can't see any bubbles (it does smell sour).... Is this going the right way? :?

If it smells sour it is going in the right direction. You should have a starter by now.

Can I ask how you set up the kk to do bread? tks

I put the heat deflector on the main grill and heat it up for about 30 mins. Most of my bread is cooked at 460°. If you have a problem with the botttom of the bread getting burnt then after 10 or 15 mins invert a flat round pan and place it between the bread and the heat deflector.

I've baked a couple of bread...

Not good enough for pictures yet (so it didn't happen haha! :P )

What didn't happen (due to my impatience) is letting it raise long enough.

I'm finding the first round takes about 24-36 hours to let it double in size then punching it down and letting it rise again (4 hours)..... :roll: I baked the bread in the KK twice but it has a great taste but it's a bit too dense..

Anyway I'm trying again this weekend and will let the bread sit for another 24 hours AFTER I punched it done...

Does anyone else have similar times? (or is it my starter that's slow; ozzie starter she'll be right)

What recipe are you following? The preferment I normally let go over night about 8-12 hours. The ferment is 2.5 hours folded twice instead of punched down. The final rise is 2 to 2.5 hours. My first breads where dense. I think it takes a while for the starter to get to where it makes good bread. Then again I was a complete newbie so it could have been me. The temperature of all your ingredients will change your fermenting time too. Have you considered that?

What recipe are you following? The preferment I normally let go over night about 8-12 hours. The ferment is 2.5 hours folded twice instead of punched down. The final rise is 2 to 2.5 hours. My first breads where dense. I think it takes a while for the starter to get to where it makes good bread. Then again I was a complete newbie so it could have been me. The temperature of all your ingredients will change your fermenting time too. Have you considered that?

Basically your recipe...

1 cup of my starter with 2 cups of flour (1/4 cup of warm water as my starter is a bit watery...) + oil + sugar + salt...

It definitely takes at least 24 hours to double in size. Hmm folded twice...Haven't done that I punched followed by letting it rise again...

All ingredients are room temperature and it's about 24 (75F) here at the moment..