BigO

Shipping a KK 23"

I have found a KK 23" for sale in my region, about 300 miles away. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get it to me if I agree on price with the seller. For those that have experience, what shippers have you used? Did you provide the base/ box for the grill to sit on, or leave it to the shipper to secure the load? If I cant figure out a shipper, I may rent a truck and go that route if it comes to that. Thought I would ask those that have already figured this out. Thanks!

I have not done this but I'd be inclined to rent a truck. Maybe you have some friends with a small truck with a trailer. Tied it down every which way you can and then do more. You wouldn't want it to shift. Maybe you can get a shipper that takes all responsibility until it is unloaded in your yard. I'm not sure I'd trust them though. Hope you can figure this out and get the KK. You might want to see it in real life before putting your money down. 

• Like 1

There are several of us that have sold / picked up these kookers.

You absolutely must have a box to put under the grill to take the weight as it travels.

I would not have a shipper move it because it is not in its original crate.

I'd rent a lift gate truck with straps and moving blankets to go get it.

my 2 cents.

• Like 2

As Tucker pointed out, and I'll repeat, it really does need that supporting box underneath to take the weight off the legs when transporting. If you search this site, you can find the dimensions for how to build one. Plus, you need to either take the top off or do a very good job of strapping it down so it doesn't move. You can't rely upon the latching mechanism to keep it secure during a move like that. 

• Like 2

When you strap it down....use wide straps and/or pads to spread the pressure.  I used thin ratchet straps on a tile model and they compressed the tiles under them. 

I did not secure the top to the cooker bottom and the latch broke.  Be sure to do as suggested above and secure it carefully. 

Edited by Jon B.
  • Like 3

I bought one in Aspen , Co. last year and hauled it back to Albuquerque , NM .

Rented a trailer from U-Haul ( it was a motorcycle trailer with a ramp and worked great ).

Also had boxes of Coco and Coffee Char on trailer. Here are some pictures of how it was

strapped down . Checked straps after the first 10 miles very slight tighten on one strap ,

and she didn't budge an inch. We also went over Independence Pass which is a little over

12,000 feet , 2 lane road , and lots of switch backs . Very difficult drive no problems .

About 500 miles each way. Here are some pictures . Make sure to you put the smaller strap over

the top really helped stabilized everything . The box is " Critical  " you can see it the pictures below.

Here are some pics:

thumbnail-2.jpeg.1bab0579d9a105f386ffbf9f816dd4bb.jpeg

thumbnail-1.jpeg.bfb8d60d4103a475ff82b13df886ea20.jpeg

thumbnail.jpeg.f5570c5c213590ac40710c77abea7e50.jpeg

Edited by coolpapabill
  • Like 5