tekobo

Look no further for your Christmas present wish list!

I am hoping you will help make the title of this post a reality by posting what you have on your Christmas present wish list.  I would very much like a decent pair of heat proof gloves/gauntlets.  Any recommendations you may have in this department would be gratefully received.  

Here are things I would recommend:

Cookbooks

Dry: Non-Alchoholic, Cocktails, Cordials and Clever Concoctions by Clare Liardet - we take three days a week off alchohol and this book helps keep me on the straight and narrow.  There is a danger that you end up ingesting more sugar through the use of syrups and juices but this still feels like a healthy choice.  

La Grotta Ices by Kitty Travers - awesome.  Inventive flavours for home made ice creams and sorbets. 

Bar Tartine: Techniques and Recipes by Cortney Burns - this is a recent purchase and I am intrigued by the interesting techniques and flavour combinations.  One to report back on but fun for the adventurous cook.  

The next two are books that I would have added to my Christmas list if I had not been impatient.  They are on their way so I can't yet tell you if they are any good yet but they are:

South: Essential Recipes and New Explorations by Sean Brock - others on the forum have recommended Sean Brock's books before and this one looks like it contains a lot of grill action and will help with using the produce from our allotment in new ways.  

Kitchen Secrets by Raymond Blanc - I could not resist a book that one reviewer said had helped her master pastry by explaining the "why" as well as the "how".  

Kit

Brod & Taylor Bread Proofer and shelf kit - so versatile and it folds and packs away neatly when not in use.  Great for temperature controlled bread dough proofing.  Also works for making yogurt and an intermediate step when making burrata.  I have not had as much success with making koji but that was not the proofer's fault.  

Solo Stove Bonfire - great for sitting outdoors late into the night.  We will be testing its efficacy as temperatures drop at the same time as we have been barred from meeting up with friends indoors.  

Outdoorchef accessories for use on the Solo Stove Bonfire -  I got the two part cast iron cooking grid and the plancha griddle plate.  They both work well when placed on top of the Bonfire for cooking.

Grain flaker - a bit esoteric but I am looking forward to making my own flakes to go on top of loaves and also flaking groats to make oats.  Very difficult to find. Mac pointed me at the FlicFloc but it has been unavailable for months.  I ended up buying the Eschenfelder Grain Flaker.

Pacojet - this is a seriously expensive toy but what a toy.  We bought a "new in damaged box" Pacojet on eBay during the lockdown at a much reduced price and we are loving it for making ice creams and sorbets.  They are unbelievably good.  Other uses have been to make and freeze horseradish cream, basil pesto and truffle butter.  These are all things that are difficult to preserve in good condition so freezing them and using the Pacojet to drill out a portion at a time is a preserver's dream.  

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Sir Bill said:

Oh dear feeding my addiction to cookbooks :-)

I thought that I had just about kicked my habit and then Tekobo posts this! 😄

I literally have hundreds of cookbooks. Most are in boxes in the basement. I actually have a bookcase in my kitchen for the majority of the ones that I actually refer to. I periodically go through them and swap things around. I need to do that again soon, as I have a stack of newer cookbooks that need a home, with this one now on the way! Plus, the huge stack of printed out recipes from the Internet, as well.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On 11/28/2020 at 4:46 AM, tekobo said:

very much like a decent pair of heat proof gloves/gauntlets

Suggestions for gloves Tekebo.  The black glove is called Geekhom and are long insulated high heat rubber and can be found on Amazon. The grey gloves beside them are sand textured welders gloves and could be bought at a local welders supply house. In the package next is one glove made from chain mail with a thermal lining I suppose. Funny little picture in the corner shows an ax and knife resistance for sword play and jousting. Made by Batex and the whole package is written in German. Only one glove in the package unless I misplaced the other and although it's marked XL my delicate hand won't fit. Sorry Cinderfella.  As far as deciphering the German writing goes, no can do unless it was presented on a menu . The last is a thermal glove manufactured in China with German origins I believe. For me this is the most comfortable fit and has a sure grip because of the raised bead work. 

DSCF3234.JPG

DSCF3232.JPG

• Like 1

Suggestions for gloves Tekebo.  The black glove is called Geekhom and are long insulated high heat rubber and can be found on Amazon. The grey gloves beside them are sand textured welders gloves and could be bought at a local welders supply house. In the package next is one glove made from chain mail with a thermal lining I suppose. Funny little picture in the corner shows an ax and knife resistance for sword play and jousting. Made by Batex and the whole package is written in German. Only one glove in the package unless I misplaced the other and although it's marked XL my delicate hand won't fit. Sorry Cinderfella.  As far as deciphering the German writing goes, no can do unless it was presented on a menu . The last is a thermal glove manufactured in China with German origins I believe. For me this is the most comfortable fit and has a sure grip because of the raised bead work. 
DSCF3234.thumb.JPG.05c321391b5f93b4f40df79018664ca3.JPG
DSCF3232.thumb.JPG.3b974e73cb716f38fef92c984b9bdbab.JPG

I have the geekhom. These work well for handling meats, but I wouldn’t trust them grabbing a fiery coal. Not saying they couldn’t handle it, I’m just not sure I trust them.

I also have the RAPICCA BBQ Gloves available on Amazon. I like these better for all purpose fiery coal and meat handling. That said, they don’t breathe so expect some sweaty arms under extreme heat :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the key design features to look for in BBQ gloves is length. You want the gloves to come at least half-way up to your elbow, if not further, for picking up hot grates, smoker pots, rotisserie baskets, etc. Similar could be said for meat-handling gloves. You definitely don't want to pick up a spatchcocked chicken and have hot juices run down your bare arms! OUCH!

• Like 2

I have (and most often use) the Geekhom gloves. I originally bought some of the long fabric gloves with fluorescent orange silicone strips, but they were just to gaudy to use, even for me. The Geekhom gloves are completely silicone on the outside with the insulating fabric inside. I probably wouldn't use them to pick up a hot coal, but I don't think I would try that with any gloves. My current understanding is tongs are a uniform requirement and I don't want to be kicked out of the club.

At least not for that.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 5:13 PM, tony b said:

Thanks. Just order South on Amazon. Will be here Monday. I'm a HUGE fan of Sean Brock. My usual problem with trying to cook out of his books is getting the ingredients. He has access to so many unique and heirloom products that are key to his cuisine. 

My copy arrived yesterday.  You are right.  Lots of specialty ingredients.  Will just have to work out some substitutions.  Some of these recipes might even make it to my Christmas lunch menu.  Yum.

Gosh.  Thank you @Tyrus, @BOC, @tony b and @jonj for your glove recommendations and comments.  I have a pair of long tongs for handling logs and coals so am all set there.  I told The Husband that I would like a pair of BBQ gloves for Christmas and I was worried, like Jon, that I would end up with a pair that would be too gaudy for me to want to wear.  I have found the Geekhom's on amazon.co.uk and the all black ones look good.  I have also find the RAPICCA gloves.  They look like they would go well with a pair of black leather trousers and a whip! 

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

What I'd like to know is when they say the glove can handle 800 degrees I want to know for how long? If it's only for a few seconds that's not enough for me.

This is a good point.

I've got a pair of welder-type gloves which are suede. Great for the wood fired oven - need to use them even with the extra long tools that I have as you don't want to get hands too near the oven mouth when it really gets going.

However, pick up a cast iron skillet off the grill and you've really got to put it down very quickly.

A mid forearm pair, that you could pick up and hold ( for 1/2 a minute anyway) a hot skillet, in subdued non-80's disco colouration would be good.

A bonus would be not having to get matching leather trousers and a whip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I looked at a lot of these about 6 months ago. There was one pair that I recall giving the most heat resistance and had a “chart” of hold time. I think they were called Cool Bebe if I can read my own notes. I went The other route because I wanted something that was on the east to wash off grease, etc since I really wanted a couple of pairs for food handling and rest prep.
@tekobo, I like that you are already coordinating outfits with your future gloves. Shows true commitment! Good news for the forum, I know nobody wants a look at me in leather chaps with a whip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 3

Had check to see I was on the right site, mentioning leather here draws attention. Taking on heavy pieces of meat is a cinch with one of these. 18 inches long, made of rugged steel and in some instances will out perform tongs. Besides Tekebo, it'll look sharp next to that whip on your belt

DSCF3241.JPG

DSCF3239.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1