tekobo

Look no further for your Christmas present wish list!

5 hours ago, tekobo said:

My copy arrived yesterday.  You are right.  Lots of specialty ingredients.  Will just have to work out some substitutions.  Some of these recipes might even make it to my Christmas lunch menu.  Yum.

Mine came early today. Started right in on it. Wonderfully written (so far). Only complaint is that the type size is damn small! Even with my readers on, I have to hold it pretty close to read it. 

Would be glad to ship you some Anson Mills grits and Carolina Gold rice. They are Excellent! 

7 hours ago, tony b said:

Would be glad to ship you some Anson Mills grits and Carolina Gold rice. They are Excellent! 

Thanks Tony.  Some of this farm to table deal has to be about using what I've got to hand here.  I hope, one day, to make it back to the States and I may buy some of his specialty ingredients but he is soooo specific that he seems to be urging us all to go out and buy stuff for every recipe that we cook.  Big source of food waste.

All of that said, I am so pleased with this book that I am planning my Christmas dinner around it.  Nibbles to start will be boiled groundnuts, devilled eggs and chilled oysters.  Thinking will follow with a fish dish, maybe substituting monkfish for catfish in one of the recipes.  Then grilled quail.  Looking at a whole beef fillet next, maybe substituting the beef for his lamb loin in the lamb and rhubarb recipe or I might find a different Southern recipe to try.  And finally, he had a plum upside down cake.  I think I will make one with quince.  The Husband is on board with the Southern vibe although he did draw the line at my suggestion of chicken wings for Christmas lunch.  Should be lots of fun!

• Like 3

On 11/28/2020 at 9:46 AM, tekobo said:

Kitchen Secrets by Raymond Blanc - I could not resist a book that one reviewer said had helped her master pastry by explaining the "why" as well as the "how".  

You won't be disappointed. I find I read all the recipes in Raymond's voice as well. It's the Morgan Freeman or David Attenborough effect. Or maybe it's just me. 

On 11/28/2020 at 9:46 AM, tekobo said:

Pacojet - this is a seriously expensive toy but what a toy.  We bought a "new in damaged box" Pacojet on eBay during the lockdown at a much reduced price and we are loving it for making ice creams and sorbets.  They are unbelievably good.  Other uses have been to make and freeze horseradish cream, basil pesto and truffle butter.  These are all things that are difficult to preserve in good condition so freezing them and using the Pacojet to drill out a portion at a time is a preserver's dream.  

Dear Santa... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, tony b said:

@tekobo - I want to come to Xmas dinner at your house!! :wtg:

You would be very welcome but for the small complication of COVID and all the random rules that govern everything we do.  Let's make it a date to eat Southern food together somewhere, somehow, when all this is over.  In the meantime I have ordered catfish from our local fish market (will be brought back from the London market tomorrow morning) and have found fresh groundnuts, called "monkey nuts", at our local greengrocer today.  So I am all set to start practising for Christmas. Think I am going to enjoy the journey.  

• Like 4

I have been using the geekhom gloves for a number of years, can move hot coals, can hold 600f grate for about 1 minute.

in my opinion, for the work i need to do, they work well, they are a breeze to clean, leave them on, 'wash' your hands with dish soap or just toss them into the laundry and air dry.

one con: the fingers of the gloves are short and lack a bit of dexterity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tucker said:

I have been using the geekhom gloves for a number of years, can move hot coals, can hold 600f grate for about 1 minute.

in my opinion, for the work i need to do, they work well, they are a breeze to clean, leave them on, 'wash' your hands with dish soap or just toss them into the laundry and air dry.

one con: the fingers of the gloves are short and lack a bit of dexterity.

Thanks, ordered !

On 11/30/2020 at 8:49 AM, Braai-Q said:

You won't be disappointed. I find I read all the recipes in Raymond's voice as well. It's the Morgan Freeman or David Attenborough effect. Or maybe it's just me. 

Liking the Raymond Blanc book.  So far I have found his description of this Frenchman's Damascene conversion to steak, kidney and oyster pudding intriguing enough to want to try that soon.  

@Basher, I love cast iron and like the look of the grill pan with holes in.  Can't find one in the UK so will wait for when I make it back to the US or even, maybe, back over to Australia.  

• Like 1

Liking the Raymond Blanc book.  So far I have found his description of this Frenchman's Damascene conversion to steak, kidney and oyster pudding intriguing enough to want to try that soon.  
[mention=3378]Basher[/mention], I love cast iron and like the look of the grill pan with holes in.  Can't find one in the UK so will wait for when I make it back to the US or even, maybe, back over to Australia.  
@Tekobo, not quite as fancy looking as Basher’s but I’ll be you can find this one in the UK.

Lodge Chef Collection 11 Inch Cast Iron Chef Style Grill Topper. Seasoned and Ready to Infuse Food with Flavor on The Grill or Campfire. Made from Quality Materials to Last a Lifetime https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087C94W6W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_kM2XFbJ0B7DTZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BOC said:

@Tekobo, not quite as fancy looking as Basher’s but I’ll be you can find this one in the UK.

Lodge Chef Collection 11 Inch Cast Iron Chef Style Grill Topper. Seasoned and Ready to Infuse Food with Flavor on The Grill or Campfire. Made from Quality Materials to Last a Lifetime https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087C94W6W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_kM2XFbJ0B7DTZ

I love Lodge products and they are usually way over priced in the UK so I wait and buy them when I visit the US.  That said, I have found this grill topper on the amazon.co.uk site and it looks well priced.  It is on my waiting to be added to cart list.  Allows me to pretend that I am exercising restraint!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

There are a lot of perforated grilling pans/woks out there, various materials (SS, enamel), most are under $30. I like the 3 sided ones, so you can easily slip a spatula in to flip things over.

AmazonSmile : Kona Best Grill Tray - Heavy Duty BBQ Grilling Pan Will Never Warp & Porcelain Enameled for Easier Cleaning - BBQ Accessory for Fish, Vegetables, Kabobs - 16x12 x1 inch : Garden & Outdoor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tekobo said:

I love Lodge products and they are usually way over priced in the UK so I wait and buy them when I visit the US.  That said, I have found this grill topper on the amazon.co.uk site and it looks well priced.  It is on my waiting to be added to cart list.  Allows me to pretend that I am exercising restraint!

How about this @tekobo https://www.netherton-foundry.co.uk/outdoor_cooking/Barbecue-grid

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I took a look at the links that you sent, @tony b and @Sir Bill and my heart was still with the Lodge.  That was until I looked around on the Netherton Foundry site where Sir Bill found the grid.  Wow.  What a lot of fun outdoor cooking stuff!  The good news for my wallet is that it made me realise that I pretty much have most things that I need.  That said, I can see me commissioning a nice paella pan in the new year when they get past their Christmas rush.  Cool.  

• Like 3

That's a great site @Sir Bill, really like the look of the baking plate and the 15 inch bbq grid.

I'm not going to get those past the approval committee at the moment.

There have been Mapp torches & leaf blowers arriving in readiness for the KK.

I've been busy cutting out and refashioning rotting soffits , re-painting , remortaring and am about to fix new metal guttering and downpipes.

Of course you need the right tools for this - and hey-ho , look at the money we're saving by me doing that work !

Cue more packages arriving with various cordless appliances and boxes.

The silent 100 kg charcoal delivery must have taken place at first light yesterday morning - the boxes were stacked 5 ft high right outside the front door to keep the rain off.

Mrs RD was first downstairs : "What the  (insert procreative expletive here) are those !!"

I am just trying to slip unnoticed out of the Last Chance Saloon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6