EGGARY

Doing a Rib Roast tonight

I have seen a few videos on YouTube cooking a Rib Roast at 500* for 5 minutes a pound and then turning off the Oven and letting the Roast sit in the oven for 2 hours.

Is there a way to do the same cook in the KK ?  I know the KK will get Heat Soaked and at 500*, the KK will not be coming down for some time and the Rib Roast will get over cooked at 2 hours.  Would a lower temp work and if so, any ideas at what temp ?

Also plan on using a pan as I want to make an Au Jus.

Thanks.

Edited by EGGARY
  • Like 1

Like MacKenzie said, I think it works best as a reverse sear, which is how I do mine.

Smoke at about 200 - 215 F grate temp until the roast reaches around 112 F (or slightly higher if you want it above medium rare). It will take about 2 1/2 - 3 hours depending size of roast (my times are for a 6 pound net trimmed boneless roast) and your actual KK temperature. Pull the roast and tent with foil while opening the top and vents to get a dome temp of 500 and sear all 6 sides of the roast for about 1 - 1 1/2 minutes each. Roast temp will increase to about 120 - 124F. Then refoil, wrap with towel and hold in a cooler until your desired is reached. It will go up another 10 degrees while in the cooler.

• Like 1

Eggery Jon and Mac have described good methods.
It sounds like your cook is all about catching the drippings?
If you want to forward sear and catch a heap of jus, get your dome temp to about 350f and stabilise here. The fire should be well lit.
Place your lower grilling grate in and grill the outside of your roast. If the dome reads 350f, it’ll be 700f lower down at the grilling level.
Remove once you are satisfied with your charting and put the middle grate in, place your tray( I’d have 1/2” of water in the tray) on the middle grate.
Then main grate above it and the roast back on the main grate with a probe in and let it slowly come up to your desired temp with indirect heat. Will drop for half an hour then rebound back as the water heats up.
I was thinking cooking a lamb noisette tonight using Macs method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as you have it probed up Eggary and monitor the internal temp I think you should have a handle on it. Otherwise as an alternative set your KK to a more modest temp of 400 and run the same conditions. This is what I'd do, keeping in mind that I wished to stay as close to this process as possible.   A few weeks back I had some chicken approaching the ex:date in the frig. It was a little late at night but I thought I might squeeze this on the KK while I watched a movie before bed. The movie ended and I retired for the night.  The next morning realizing my misfortune I opened the lid  and found the chicken quarters slightly warm to the touch, the skin was drawn in like that of a mummy but, the color was a pleasant dark brown. I only used what I had in the basket for coals at the onset so after the cooking had passed, a drying process began leaving a delicious Marinated chicken jerky as an accident. So, you never know until you try, but if you have a plan your chances for success are greatly increased. 

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1