USUAggie

3/8” wrench brand?

Some are rounded. Some aren't. It's not just one brand.

I bought a vintage Stanley wrench off eBay, with the idea of embedding it into a hardwood handle. Didn't cost much at all. You don't need new, and vintage is cool. An advantage of eBay is there's usually a picture. Confirm that the wrench is rounded before purchase.

I also own a Grill Floss. For what it's worth, I loved the Grill Floss. Any reasonably well-adjusted soul should be happy with good life choices. I nevertheless prefer the wrench. One can apply more force from closer in.

For really getting anything clean, such as KK grates after a low & slow (or misuse of my molcajete mortar, or the grates from our indoor gas range), nothing beats minimizing the setup time to using an electric pressure washer. Yeah, a little pricier than a box wrench, but ...

We bought our pressure washer for cleaning our ipe deck before annual oiling. I use it whenever I can. It makes me feel like Jiarby starting a fire (there's an obscure reference for old-timers).

I gave away my rotisserie because I hated cleaning it. With the pressure washer, I'd consider one again. Get a water heater drip pan to hold the grate you're cleaning. No need to plug the hole, this is just to protect one's yard from the pressure washer.

The woodworking project is still pending (as are so many!).

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Syzygies said:

It makes me feel like Jiarby starting a fire (there's an obscure reference for old-timers).

There's a name that we haven't heard in a very long time! Guess that makes me an "old-timer" here - LOL!

3 hours ago, Syzygies said:

I gave away my rotisserie because I hated cleaning it.

You've probably seen my previous posts, but Powdered Brewers Wash (PBW) is the shizz for cleaning the rotisserie baskets, forks, rods, etc. I just soak them in a 5 gal bucket of warm water and PBW for a few hours or overnight. (I will confess that the basket is too long for the bucket, so you have an extra step to flip it over and soak the other end.) Simply wipe off with a sponge, no elbow grease involved. Easy, peasy!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tony b said:

There's a name that we haven't heard in a very long time! Guess that makes me an "old-timer" here - LOL!

Davidm-gumbo.jpg.99d65cc558008b2197659d66b7a6c132.jpg

I met Jiarby in person at a POSK cooking competition in Sacramento. His chili and my gumbo tied for some silly non-prize. I was most impressed by his Rambo-style charcoal lighting technique. We're not talking weed burner, this flame thrower wouldn't have been out of place in the US-Vietnam war. And Glenn's a big guy, it all made a picture. We stayed in touch. Great guy.

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Syzygies said:

Some are rounded. Some aren't. It's not just one brand.

I bought a vintage Stanley wrench off eBay, with the idea of embedding it into a hardwood handle. Didn't cost much at all. You don't need new, and vintage is cool. An advantage of eBay is there's usually a picture. Confirm that the wrench is rounded before purchase.

I also own a Grill Floss. For what it's worth, I loved the Grill Floss. Any reasonably well-adjusted soul should be happy with good life choices. I nevertheless prefer the wrench. One can apply more force from closer in.

For really getting anything clean, such as KK grates after a low & slow (or misuse of my molcajete mortar, or the grates from our indoor gas range), nothing beats minimizing the setup time to using an electric pressure washer. Yeah, a little pricier than a box wrench, but ...

We bought our pressure washer for cleaning our ipe deck before annual oiling. I use it whenever I can. It makes me feel like Jiarby starting a fire (there's an obscure reference for old-timers).

I gave away my rotisserie because I hated cleaning it. With the pressure washer, I'd consider one again. Get a water heater drip pan to hold the grate you're cleaning. No need to plug the hole, this is just to protect one's yard from the pressure washer.

The woodworking project is still pending (as are so many!).

I had the same idea for the wrench.  It would be crazy easy to make a handle on a lathe. Thanks for the responses.

• Like 1