AAAsh

Hello from Singapore

8 hours ago, AAAsh said:

Well my new BB32 departed Surabaya today. Should land in Singapore on Friday afternoon and hopefully at my house early next week!!

Congratulations.  I just love the fact that Dennis is so close you.  BB32 leaves his world today and arrives with you early next week.  That and chicken rice are two good reasons to live in Singapore.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, RokDok said:

Fantastic that Dennis's place is just round the corner for you !

Turkey has got to be the first cook surely ??

Not sure I am ready for that just yet.... Might experiment with a few baked potatoes first!! :-)

This is my first Kamado style grill so it will be a steep learning curve. I have owned many different grills in the past but never a Kamado. Being somewhat limited on space, this seemed to be the perfect "do it all" option. 

Any tips from the forum for getting use to cooking on it?

Also, any unpacking suggestions? I want to try and keep the crate as it will need to be shipped to Australia at some stage.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, tekobo said:

Congratulations.  I just love the fact that Dennis is so close you.  BB32 leaves his world today and arrives with you early next week.  That and chicken rice are two good reasons to live in Singapore.  

It is only a three day transit from Surabaya to Singapore. Takes longer for them to unpack the container and clear customs, etc. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Basher said:

Ash the only tip I have for you is to dive in and cook as much as you can.
High heat and low heat, direct and indirect. Distance from the fire.
With practice you get to know what your KK can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@AAAsh you have just echoed what was myself a few weeks ago.

Great choice of color and pebble (same as me) i cannot believe this grill, you are indeed in for a treat if you have the same experience as me.

Every family member says everything i have cooked so far is better full stop and i agree not just meat but potatoes / bread / veg / pizza a full range of goods. I could write for ages telling you this and that but you are about to understand all this for yourself shortly. My enthusiasm for cooking outside has gone back to 30 years ago i am loving it, I bet I have barly  scrapped the surface of what this grill can do as yet, and on top of that the peeps on here are a fantastic group to help you out.

Exciting times

All the best

Sovs

• Like 7

Congrats to you AAAsh, that's a magnificent color, brings out connotations of mystery and gallantry, and it draws you in. Think of the KK as your inside oven that has served you well over the years, but oh so much better. Easier to operate, don't let it's size intimidate you, it gives you plenty of time by design to adjust to your next move. Good luck, think beyond a potato when you live in the greatest spice destination of the world. We'll be lookin if your doin the cookin.

• Like 4

Best advice for newbs - take an afternoon, with a cooler of adult beverages of your choice, load up the KK with charcoal and light a small area (grapefruit size). Then set the lower vent about 1/4 open on the left dial and just barely bump the top vent off its seat. Sit back and enjoy an adult beverage. Watch the temperature. When it stops rising, make note of the temperature and the vent settings. Now, bump the top vent open a bit more - like a 1/8 turn - have another adult beverage. Be patient and let the temperature stabilize again. Keep doing this stair stepping until you reach about 400F in the dome (or you run out of adult beverages!) Once you get to about 300F dome, you might want to bump the bottom left vent open to about 1/2 open. Most of your cooks will be below 400F, so not a lot of point in going much higher. Keep a log of the temperatures vs vent settings. It's highly repeatable. You'll likely be surprised at how little changes in top vent opening increase the temperature. That 400F final target will likely be less than 3/4 turn open on the top vent. 

Once you start cooking, you'll get a feel for the difference between the dome temperature and the temperatures at the different grate levels. Plus, the difference in cooking direct and indirect over the fire. 

Enjoy the adventure. 

• Like 6

Just watched the boat carrying my grill sail past my condo. I was literally 1km away. Hard to get a good view due to the weather, but have been tracking on AIS for the last 24 hours. Hopefully they are quick unpacking the container!! :-)

image.thumb.png.fc9f8e099bc3d36c45f0326505f28ba4.png

Edited by AAAsh
added pic
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, AAAsh said:

Just watched the boat carrying my grill sail past my condo. I was literally 1km away. Hard to get a good view due to the weather, but have been tracking on AIS for the last 24 hours. Hopefully they are quick unpacking the container!! :-)

image.thumb.png.fc9f8e099bc3d36c45f0326505f28ba4.png

This is pro level tracking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1