Basher

Christmas tidings

This is what 10kg of crayfish tail looks like- that’s 22 lb’s
d2ef5a885e67f9aea23ab93c939a4908.jpg
These are caught by indigenous Australians from the Torres Strait- that’s between the northern tip of Australia and PNG.
Some for Saturday..... some for Xmas day.
What are you hoarding for Xmas day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Very nice, Basher! 

Current plan is a Prime Rib. Heading out to the market this afternoon to check out what they have in stock. I was in CostCo yesterday and they had some very nice Choice bone-in roasts, at a decent price per lb, but they were all too big for what I need. The smallest one was 5 1/2 lbs! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tony b said:

Very nice, Basher! 

Current plan is a Prime Rib. Heading out to the market this afternoon to check out what they have in stock. I was in CostCo yesterday and they had some very nice Choice bone-in roasts, at a decent price per lb, but they were all too big for what I need. The smallest one was 5 1/2 lbs! 

Just take it slow and wash it down with lots of red wine. You GOT this!! 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was tempted by a recipe for quail stuffed suckling pig from The Book of St John.  Perfect thing to try out in my new 32 but I bottled it (chickened out, in other words).  Everyone looks forward to the food on Christmas day and I didn't want to take the risk of having a major centre piece and it going horribly wrong because I've never cooked a suckling pig on a spit before.  Next year.

This year I am going multi course Southern cooking and I have some quails and a lovely whole fillet of beef in the freezer.  Will do a shrimp and grits trial run this Monday.  If it works out I will be getting some bugs for Christmas too.  

• Like 2

@Basher what are you gonna serve with those bugs?

@tony b can’t you make sandwiches with leftovers?

I do not know what I’m making for Christmas. We’re in heavy lockdowns in CA and my kids preschool says if we visit with a family member outside out our household we have to keep our kids out of school for 7 days so the wife and I are still talking about Christmas plans....meanwhile I’ve been focused on meal planning my butcher box I’m picking up today. But I was thinking of doing a roast of some kind for chistmas Nothing fancy like a prime rib like @tony b because the Mrs. likes her meat well and definitely not bloody.....will finalize our plans this weekend and likely shop Monday 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 3

It's going to be very merry at that dinner table!  I have a Tenderloin and it will be accompanied by some Fondant potatoes with the remainder of sides to be determined. 😉Pick out an excellent Riesling wine to pair with that, definitely white with seafood or the river water, but I certainly wouldn't refuse a nice red if offered.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Troble said:

@tony b can’t you make sandwiches with leftovers?

Scored a nice piece at the local supermarket yesterday - 2 1/4 lb, bone-in. I'll get a couple of meals out of it and maybe that sandwich, too? 

Definitely going to be a red wine. I'll just have to be inspired the day of to chose one out of the cellar?

• Like 4

Troble I’ll cut the belly shell away from the cray tails, add a touch of salt and defrost them on the split grill to try and soak in a little smoke, then finish them on the lower grill. While they are defrosting I’ll make up a buerre Blanc sauce. It was delish last time- reduce some white wine, apple cider vinegar with onion, crushed purple crack and pepper and a sprig of marjoram and cumin. Strain this reduced stock into a dash of heated thickened cream then slow stir in a stack of butter. I have grown some fresh dill to sprinkle over the top. I’m doing a trial run today with some friends.
Also baking a ham on Xmas with this. The KK will be working overtime- double pay given its Xmas day!
aea3269deebf03fd84d2fac426e89437.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Basher said:

Troble I’ll cut the belly shell away from the cray tails, add a touch of salt and defrost them on the split grill to try and soak in a little smoke, then finish them on the lower grill. While they are defrosting I’ll make up a buerre Blanc sauce. It was delish last time- reduce some white wine, apple cider vinegar with onion, crushed purple crack and pepper and a sprig of marjoram and cumin. Strain this reduced stock into a dash of heated thickened cream then slow stir in a stack of butter. I have grown some fresh dill to sprinkle over the top. I’m doing a trial run today with some friends.
Also baking a ham on Xmas with this. The KK will be working overtime- double pay given its Xmas day!
aea3269deebf03fd84d2fac426e89437.jpg

I'd eat that!

• Like 3

Where my company hauls for gives me a Christmas ham from The Honey Baked Ham Company every year. It's a 1/4 ham and there's only three of us so it's a lot of food. Usually I do a huge Christmas spread. This year the day after Christmas me and Mrs skreef are going down to St. Augustine so I'll keep dinner simple with just the ham and a few sides leaving the leftovers for my son to eat while we are gone. 

• Like 3