tekobo

Video Illustrating Fitting of Rotisserie (Spit and Cradle) and Motor to KK 32 Big Bad

I am not great with tools and was not looking forward to trying to figure out how to fit the rotisserie.  In the end it turned out to be pretty easy.  In the video I have tried to illustrate all the details that a novice like me needed to know.  Happy for others to add more detail to this post and correct me if there is anything that I missed. 

Dennis has a video on his Komodo Kamado website illustrating the use of the rotisserie cradle in the 32 Big Bad.  It is here:  

I used this as my reference point when I came to fit my rotisserie.  His video includes real food AND illustrates the use of the reducer in the cradle.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Tekobo, between you and Dennis you have the rotissier system covered. :smt055 Excellent videos, maybe we'll see you at the Cannes Film Festival or the Sundance Festival. :drinkers:

Are you kidding? After the multicam Zoom unloading experience, I fully expect Dennis to be going to @tekobofor the next series of cooking videos. Stephen Raich-who? 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I set up to use the rotisserie today.  I wanted to use the double drip pan to avoid flare ups but found that it would not fit underneath the cradle rotisserie - handle clash.

IMG_9286.thumb.jpeg.485541b58c8c33ca82b996c49baddf55.jpeg

I swapped for the rod rotisserie but was worried because the last time I used it, it managed to "unwind" the adjustable point on the left hand side and got jammed in the KK because it was too long to get out.  On that occasion I cut the chicken off the rod and unscrewed the end of the rod when everything cooled down. 

Today I made sure the nut was tight and then I watched when it started to rotate.  Sometimes the current sends the rod rotating in a clockwise direction and sometimes in an anti clockwise direction.  I tried a couple of times until the rod was rotating in the clockwise direction so that it would not be able to unwind the end nut.  Perfect.  No problems at all getting the rod out this time. 

Three chooks.  One for us, one for the in-laws and one for friends.  The double drip pan did an awesome job of allowing me to baste with oil and fat without flare ups.  I noticed the difference, with almost instant flare ups, when I took the pan out to get some fire browning at the end.  Very tasty and a great trial as I am planning to cook a suckling pig at the end of the week.

IMG_9288.thumb.jpeg.069307dba6c9f5cdc2286e29e4186f39.jpeg

IMG_9294.thumb.jpeg.7a56895bd687526477e150396082921e.jpeg

We once ate the tastiest potatoes ever at a market in France.  They were basted by a wall of rotisserie chicken, multi meats and sausages.  Not quite the same today but tasty nonetheless.

IMG_9297.thumb.jpeg.bb668ecbb2fb87746e405878158d2020.jpeg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Troble said:

@tekobo you put the drip pan straight on top of the coals?

Hey Troble.  I put the double drip pan on top of the sticky up bars that you use to lift the fire basket.  It turns out my KKs are on a slope and so the right hand side was a lot hotter and drier.  The pan is soaking at the moment.  Will see how well it cleans up.  

• Thanks 1

@tekobo it occurred to ma last night that you were probably putting the pan on that lid thingy. I never knew the Piro pose of that big I guess it’s for the heat deflectors which we don’t use bud if would be perfect for this application. My only gripe about my 32 is I can’t have the double drip pan on the lower grate abs using the rotisserie like I see @Basherdoing on his 23. This would solve that. Please keep me posted on the cleanup as I’m very keen to try 

@tony bi soaked my stuff overnight last night in PBW abnd they are nice and shiny this morning 

• Like 2

I did the same, just with the addition of the top grate upside down on top of the fire box handles first. I thought the extra 1/4 inch would help. Had the same with cleanup, except a little “burn” tarnish left on the bottom of my double drip. But not a concern of mine.

Not sure if you would echo this tekobo, but the temp dropped about 50-75 with pan in vs out for me. Just something I thought was worth the mention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2