tekobo

Video Illustrating Fitting of Rotisserie (Spit and Cradle) and Motor to KK 32 Big Bad

19 hours ago, Troble said:

@tekobo it occurred to ma last night that you were probably putting the pan on that lid thingy.

Naaa. I made it sound more complicated than it actually was.  I just sat the pan on the grate handles.  Cleaned up just fine @tony b using the soak overnight in dishwasher liquid with hot water.  Yes, it did take a scrub and some elbow grease.   I promise to compare with using PBW next time.  

18 hours ago, BOC said:

Not sure if you would echo this tekobo, but the temp dropped about 50-75 with pan in vs out for me. Just something I thought was worth the mention.

Yup, the temperature did drop.  I used all charcoal for the chicken cook and filled the whole 32 basket for the very first time.  Burned through most of it - unusual for me.  When I come to do the suckling pig cook I might go for coco shell briquettes to be sure that the fire lasts for the whole cook.

I got in touch with Dennis this morning to ask about the clash between the cradle and the handles of the double drip pan.  He talked about tapping the handles slightly to bend them out of the way.  I recall someone else talking about that elsewhere on the forum.  Will give that a go if I do decide to use the cradle instead of the spit for the pig cook. 

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 1

Thanks for this great video- setting up for the first Roti cook today- but am a bit stuck with the fitment.... my supplied motor shaft seems too long; and I can only just get things to barely hang together (photo attached). Can't see what I've done that's any different than your video, but my motor shaft protrudes much to far to easily slot the motor on?

IMG_2824.jpg

Hi @remi.  I think you might just need to cut a bit off the shaft.  The length of shaft required does vary by motor and sometimes the play in the brackets is not enough to compensate for that.  I had to get The Husband to cut a bit off for one of the motors that I have - I think I showed the fact that I needed a shorter one in the video but I can't quite remember.  The good thing is that the play in the bracket means you do not have to be as precise as before when it comes to deciding how much to cut off.  Just don't take off too much and before you do, check that you have allowed for the length of shaft required to seat into the KK and into the motor.  I think that is right but would be great if someone else sees something different to be fixed.  

Thanks- what has me confused though is that I can't for the life of me imagine how any motor would fit- without the motor, the shaft sticks well past the limits of the motor mount bracket if it is screwed down properly. I can't imagine any motor fitting unless there was a giant gap between the mount slots on the motor and the shaft inlet, when in practice the mount slots will always be pretty flush with the body of the motor.

I get why you are not convinced.  How long is the shaft?  I will go and check the length of my uncut one here.  In any case, you seem to have managed to cook a great porchetta.  How did you manage it?  You didn't stand there turning it by hand did you??? :-) 

For some reason I ended up with two shafts, one was too long and one too short. For the one that was too short I put a little painters tape on the shaft so it did t go as far into the motor. That made it perfect. I think there was one in the box with the motor and one in the spares kit. But I ordered so much stuff I could be wrong about that 

11 minutes ago, tekobo said:

I get why you are not convinced.  How long is the shaft?  I will go and check the length of my uncut one here.  In any case, you seem to have managed to cook a great porchetta.  How did you manage it?  You didn't stand there turning it by hand did you??? :-) 

Ha- no, it turned well enough; but as you can see from the photo everything is literally hanging by a single end thread at weird angles. Checked it obsessively for the first while to ensure it didn't collapse- but very clearly it is not sitting together as intended...

• Haha 1

I just went and checked, both of mine were 3.5 inches. but the stop on the motor side was much further down the shaft on one of them so it made it appear too long. I’ve been using the one with the painters tape. I probably don’t need the tape, just need to get better at adjusting it lol

EF824D98-1DEF-4245-BFEB-F27EA029F50E.jpeg

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Syzygies said:

Yes, starting at 13:48 and ending at 14:13 with "and Bob's your uncle."

Bob's Your Uncle 2019 Rehearsal Tapes - Chicken In The Oven

Yes- I saw that. I'm just trying to get my head around why the shaft I had was supplied with the bracket I have; the motor end of the shaft protrudes so far beyond the bracket margin that it is inconceivable that any motor could fit- even a motor with the ability to receive that end of the shaft very deeply would be unable to as there is that rounded metal flange on the shaft only 10mm from the end. But clearly from the responses I've not screwed anything together the wrong way around, and will have to have at it with a hacksaw! 

I've been seeing all the posts over the past few days about Roti pins and I decided to go get mine and measure as well and add them to the conversation.

As a note: I bought a 42" with the Heaviest Duty motor, received both in June. I received 2 'sets' of Roti pieces to make it work (2 Brackets to attach to the KK, 2 Drive Pins) which I am assuming came because I ordered both the Roti Spit and the Roti Basket. In any case I have not been able to use my Rotisserie yet due to the summer being SIGNIFICANTLY busier than expected HOWEVER I did do a 'dry fit' with everything to make sure it all worked/fit and my pins fit with them being the perfect length and as you can see from my photos, both pins are identical. 

IMG_9254.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jadeite said:

Upon looking at the other pins posted, none seem to have the placement of the 'stop' like mine do. It looks like @tekobohad to cut about 1/2" off her pins to make them fit, and it looks like my stop is naturally 1/2" down the shaft vs her unmodified pin.

One of the two I posted is identical to the ones you posted.