Troble

Tacos de Adobada/Tacos Al Pastor

I have 1 Pliny left. I shouldn't be hoarding it, as they don't last forever. Have fun with the burn-in. :occasion5:

A balmy 28F here today, nice and sunny. Pork loin going on the KK for dinner tonight. Reality hits hard tomorrow: 1"-3" of new snow predicted (90% chance), but at least the polar vortex has retreated. 

48 minutes ago, Troble said:

@tony bill send you more plinys anytime buddy just sat the word. I picked up 6 yesterday. Probably have two today 

Thanks, but I'm currently planning a road trip in 3 weeks, driving to CA (San Jose & Napa), so I'm planning to load up with good beers and wines for the return trip. :wynar:

• Like 2

@tony b definitely! Normally I’m up there every 4 weeks for work. This is my first trip in 12 months and the dates are locked in and not flexible cause we’re installing some top secret solar shingle (then uninstalling it so nobody sees it). I want to check out the product before it goes to UL so I gotta be there those dates otherwise I usually am flexible with travel 

Edited by Troble

32 minutes ago, Paul said:

Hey @tony b let me know when you're in Napa and I'll try to make it down there. 

Are you going to the French Laundry? 

Sent you a PM.

No French Laundry - didn't know that I was doing this trip in time to make reservations. Plus, I'd like to hang on to my retirement account for a while longer - LOL! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tony b said:

I'd like to hang on to my retirement account for a while

Decisions, decisions, expensive beer or expensive restaurant...I see where your leaning.

57 minutes ago, tony b said:

ransacked the local Mexican

alot of flavor sitting there, let;s see some Mexican magic

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tyrus said:

Decisions, decisions, expensive beer or expensive restaurant...I see where your leaning.

For the Napa part of the trip, it's more trying to restrain myself from joining yet another wine club! :wynar:

Yeah, lots of potential in that box! Will take me a while to get over the "overload factor" though - where to start? :dontknow: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/25/2021 at 8:24 PM, tony b said:

Yeah, lots of potential in that box! Will take me a while to get over the "overload factor" though - where to start? :dontknow:

Find a salsa recipe and make it.  Dried chillies are a great way to explore sauces, particularly in the winter when the fresh stuff is less available.  

• Like 2

I use lots of dried chilies when making my chili con carne recipe. I have multiple varieties in my pantry. My challenge in this box (besides the shear quantity) is uses for the 2 bricks of annatto paste? Never worked with it before, just the seeds/powdered versions. 

Suggestions?

16 hours ago, tony b said:

I use lots of dried chilies when making my chili con carne recipe. I have multiple varieties in my pantry. My challenge in this box (besides the shear quantity) is uses for the 2 bricks of annatto paste? Never worked with it before, just the seeds/powdered versions. 

Suggestions?

Hi Tony. First, apologies for patronising you with respect to the use of dried chillies. The chilli king himself?  What was I thinking of?!

So, annatto paste is the same as the achiote paste that @Troble recommends for the recipe that started this chain of posts.  I have not tried the authentic recipe yet but will do so soon, having scored some of the paste here in the UK.  I also went onto eatmybooks and found a number of recipes in my books that use the paste.  I think you can search through the public elements of eatmybooks to find recipes that might be in any Mexican books that you may have.  Drop me an email if you want me to check this out via my subscription if you can't do the search yourself. 

• Like 1