Troble

Tacos de Adobada/Tacos Al Pastor

@Basher just follow the recipe in the video. He dies it pretty much exactly how I learned to do it in Mexico. You’re referring to it an Annatto I call it Achioete paste, that’s the more common parry. The achioete paste is the key ingredient to making this dish. Without if you can’t do it. It gives the dish the deep red color and distinct flavor. If you look at @Tyrus first pic that’s what you want. A tray of deep red color. The achioete paste brings that. You have to heat it to break it down which is why you do the adobo sauce first with the guarillo and chipotle peppers then add the paste to reduce. If you don’t add the paste you can’t cook this dish 

first you make the adobo sauce by sautée the guarillo and chipotle peppers. Then you add the achioete paste to that sauce to create the “adobada or al pastor” marinade. It’s a two step process but literally when I cook this dish. I watch that video and I pause it. 

not sure about star anise or the other directions you’re going but just watch the video follow what he dies abs you’ll be good. Marinating for more than 24 hours is a good idea 

get some pineapple to serve with tacos, I like to make the cilantro crema sauce to go with it. Chopped red onions, chopped cilantro for garnish 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Basher said:

My mind is telling me this combo will work, I’m just not sure what Annatto is bringing to the party?

@Troble is right, the achiote paste is fundamental to this dish and to other Mexican cooking. You use heroic amounts of it just to make this sauce so don't be daunted by the amount that he has sent you.   There is a saying that The Husband and I have - what you are seeking is usually within 5 miles of where you are.  I would bet you a lot of money that there is someone in Australia importing (or growing) and selling authentic Mexican chillies.  Worth trying to find them to make this dish authentic. 

The instructions, as I copied them down from the video, are:

Adobo sauce
toast guallijo peppers, chipotles 2 oz of each
take off ends and shake seeds out
break up and put back in pan, cover with water
simmer for 5 minutes to rehydrate the peppers
lift out of liquid and into food processor/blender

add half white onion, 1oz of mexican sugar, 1Tbsp cumin, mex oregano, thyme 1 tsp all spice 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, 2 cloves garlic, pineapple and orange juices about half a cup, 1tsp salt
Blend

Marinade for al pastor
achiote paste 14oz.  mash up
add half cup apple cider vinegar, same olive oil whisk 
add 2 cups or  more of adobo sauce whisk

• Like 4

Thanks again Troble and Tekobo. I was on a completely different path.
I’ll rewind most of this.
Troble the star anise can be considered a replacement to allspice and sugar. A little clove like but with underlying liquorice flavour- I’ll remove this and some other spices.
Pretty sure I can find some dried chipotle nearby.
I know lamb is not the traditional meat with this. It’s just that I have 35kg of this in my fridge and freezer and thought this marinade would be worth a try.
I’ll let you know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Basher said:

Thanks again Troble and Tekobo. I was on a completely different path.
I’ll rewind most of this.
Troble the star anise can be considered a replacement to allspice and sugar. A little clove like but with underlying liquorice flavour- I’ll remove this and some other spices.
Pretty sure I can find some dried chipotle nearby.
I know lamb is not the traditional meat with this. It’s just that I have 35kg of this in my fridge and freezer and thought this marinade would be worth a try.
I’ll let you know how it goes.

There should be two packs of dried chiptole in your package as well as Guarillo peppers 

I put everything you need into that package for this dish. You don’t need to purchase anything but the meat 

• Like 1

Be very careful Basher not to get the sauce on your clothes, the handle on the frig, the door handle and door going outside or any mail hanging around the table,,,don't ask me how I know...I won't tell you.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

@Basherthat makes sense why you are confused then. So no chipotle’s and no guarijillos? I believe I put 3 bags of each in there for you. Those are key ingredients. Sorry mate. See if you can find “adobo” sauce pre-made. They sell it in all the stores here it’s likely available in AU as a canned sauce if you can’t find the dried peppers 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 1

I found some thanks Troble and made up the sauce last night.
I’ll marinate the lamb tonight.
Those chillies are full of seeds so customs would never let them through the post.
I’ll try to plant out some seeds.

• Like 2

We had a few friends over for the weekend and I finally made @Troble Tacos de Adobada. They were terrific! Served with mango-coconut rice with Jamaican curry, Schramsberg sparkling wine, and flan for dessert. Very well received by all. Thanks again to TR for the recipe and care package!

IMG_3563.thumb.jpg.4c46c676b77319f20bc6813546a963d8.jpg

IMG_3571.thumb.jpg.35f7f215ac9754884bc3337b7d45c8fe.jpg

IMG_3573.thumb.jpg.a6d5438a8a7bf68f72f8195f07f8cdf9.jpg

IMG_3576.thumb.jpg.b9dd404b0629a45ad2975953f2c30ea6.jpg

IMG_3577.thumb.jpg.560094119536ad962983b4f214e3f5bd.jpg

I used a 9.4 lb pork shoulder, which just barely fit on the Trompo King, but was perfect for the amount of marinade. LOTS of leftovers. I added the deflector stone under the double drip pan about 2/3 through the cook to reduce the direct heat on the bottom since on the KK23 I had to use the lower grate for the vertical stack to fit under the dome. Very, very happy with this recipe.

• Like 9