Tyrus

B&B

This is a family owned business has been making charcoal since 1961. I thought I'd mention it because they have received many good reviews for their products and in addition the composition/make-up and form/shape, may be of interest. The lump charcoal comes in 3 varieties, oak, hickory and mesquite. Now they haven't been tested as of yet, you may say I'm placing the cart before the horse, but I thought the variety have potential for a combined flavor to your cook, rather than adding wood chips or in use with. The oak extruded char-logs came in 30lb bags for $20, and are destined for use in my Santa Maria grill.  The logs don't smoke and burning clean with little odor if that's a prerequisite for your cook. The charcoal briquettes are also a heat source on the Santa Maria with the additional red oak log for the smoke profile. I'm hoping the logs will have some use in the KK, a video test of these showed excellent high heat and long burning time. Saving them by shutting down the vents would remain to be seen.  The charcoal size configuration in the basket would lend itself for good air flow & high temp on pizza cooks, but for other applications... the jury is still out. I've pictured a comparision with Dennis's extruded CoCo char, the visual and hand reveal approx equal weight, density given to the CC,  length was obvious, diameter approx the same barring Dennis's fabrication edges and both had the center hole during the manufacturing process. Incidentally, the CC is clean to the hand unlike the B&B which is like any other charcoal, dirty to handle.

Quality wise I would have to say CC is a better product, however if your looking for a cheap alternative in the states call your local Ace hardware and put in an order, just sayin. At .66/lb it might be worth the risk. Last months recommendation by 5698 was useful for Argentine quebracho (Harder Charcoal) with another two bags enroute.  

DSCF3288.JPG

DSCF3289.JPG

DSCF3290.JPG

DSCF3291.JPG

• Like 2

Toney, if you go on to the Ace Hardware store site you'll find all their lump offered in 20# bags for $17-18. You'll have to pick it up at the store, at that price delivery is not included. They will order whatever B&B offers and wait time fordelivery is reasonable. They even have Mapp gas there.

Edited by Tyrus

43 minutes ago, Tyrus said:

Wouldn't you know it, not a store within 250 miles.

I hear yah - 215 miles for me!

@ckreef - I get it, but that's the typical markup for Amazon. "Free Delivery" for Prime isn't "free!" I just figured that if it was as good as Fogo or Jealous Devil, it was worth the price? I might try the Ace Hardware route, as there's a store about 1/2 mile from me. 

• Like 1

Update - checked the Ace Hardware website and I can get some of the B&B charcoal delivered to my local Ace store, but not the logs - which, of course, is the thing that I wanted to try! Murphy's law strikes again! I can get the Oak, Mesquite and Hickory, along with Texas XL. But, I have a unopened bags of Fogo and Jealous Devil in my garage right now, so I'm holding off on this one for a while. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tony b said:

the logs - which, of course, is the thing that I wanted to try!

I tried the logs and they lit well and came to temp well so, I added a small chunk of apple.(maybe I shouldn't have) I added a couple of chicken breasts and noticed some taste from the coals, not a bad taste but not what your use to from lump..different. Shut it down and the coals extinguished in good form. For purposes in a kamado coals of this make-up don't burn as cleanly as lump, if you starve them of air they do give off a bit smoke and if you like you food smoke free this, it might not be for you. As I understand these logs are made from the remnants of the coal briquettes, so as I said, the taste imparted to your food maybe different than what you have been accustomed too.  I remember buying a bottle of scotch with peat notes smoked into the grain, I enjoyed it but the smooth single malt will always be the favorite

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1