Wilsonj

My BB32" is days away. Starting to panic!

Hi all,

As the title says, my BB32 will be delivered some time this week.  I'ts like the birth of a new child.

This is my first charcoal BBQ, and so I feel like I'm jumping in the deep end. The phrase "all the gear and no idea" keeps bouncing around my head!! argh.

I'm hoping there is quite a bit of literature that comes with the unit, as I feel my learning curve is going to be steep.

Firstly, is there anything I really must have ?

Elbow length welding gloves ?

Something to "poke" the coals ?

I have long tongs and just bought a Fireboard 2 with fan. (Not sure how the fan is going to mount yet, but that will be for later...)

Also picking up a MAPP torch for starting the coals.

Is there a cooking guide ? eg what temps should I be heating the KK up to for steak, fish, sausages etc? When should I use half the coals, where should I cook, what level etc

Anything I really shouldn't do ?

I've got so many questions,

Oh, I'm hoping I can sell my rather newish 4 burner Weber gas BBQ some time. But as we have kids, sometimes they just want a couple bbq sausages cooked.

Seems crazy to stoke a KK for that. Do people have small gas bbqs for something like that ? Was thinking a cheap $300 "club" style flat bbq might be handy for that sort of thing.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Jamie

• Like 4

Jamie congrats on your decision to invest in a KK.
Yes to gloves, yes there is a reasonable manual to show you the basics.
You will get the hang of everything else with a bit of practice.
Troble and I use a flat gas griddle for eggs, bacon and quick cook ups. Others use Parrella style grills, pans and other methods. You will find once you get the hang of lighting the fire and then temp control within the KK you will use it even for short cooks.
BTW sausages in the KK are delish, seriously good... even cheap snags become sooo much better. The KK bakes the skin to a crispy crunch- not oily like a pan fried snag, a dry crunch.
There are plenty of tips on line for Kamado cooks.
My best advice to you is to dive in and cook as much as you can on your KK.
Before long it’ll become second nature to you.
What do you usually like to cook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Welcome Jamie, you are in for such a treat. Whatever you cook on the KK will taste so much better. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in no time. Fill the firebox up and begin. When you are finished with your cook close the vents and the fire will go out leaving you with lump that will just need to be topped up for the next cook. After the fire is out open the top vent just a tinest bit and put the dome into the position where is is NOT compacting the gaskets. Please remember we love looking at lots and lots of the arrival and unboxing pixs.:smt060

• Like 1

Congrats Jamie. The most used and common tool your going to need is a good grate cleaner and there are many. Wire brushes, 3/8" open end wrench, & grill floss are the most common hand held along with chemical agents in sizeable tubs to soak and then again some just crank up the heat to clean. Don't toss the Weber, I find every grill has it's advantages and disadvantages and the Weber is quick to please the kids with a fast hotdog. If you haven't noticed there are some here and myself included that enjoy BBQ so much we purchase various types of cookers.  Sometime toys are expensive but the enjoyment of using them all come with the territory and a passion for using them. So, that being said I know you'll enjoy your KK, it is a great unit and you will soon become quite adept in it's use, good luck. Find a good cover

• Like 2

Welcome to the Obsession! You're in for a great experience cooking on your new KK.

Best advice on learning how to cook on your KK - fill up the basket with charcoal, light it in one small spot near the middle, set up a chair and a cooler of adult beverages of choice. Set the top vent just barely off the seat (just enough to see smoke exit) and open the bottom vent about a 1/4 on the left dial. Let the KK come up to temperature and get steady while enjoying that adult beverage, make a note of the top vent position and the dome temperature. Next bump open the top vent a little more, like 1/8 of a turn. Let the KK temperature rise to its new steady spot - take note again. Keep doing this process until you get the dome up to about 350F. At about 275F, you might need to bump the bottom vent open a tad more. Making notes along the way. The vent setting are very repeatable. The vast majority of your cooks are going to be less than 350F, which is why I stopped there. You will need to do the burn-in before going up much higher in temperature as well. Save that for another day. Once you hit that 350F mark, toss on something to cook - burgers, sausages, chicken pieces, whatever you're used to grilling on the Weber. Then sit back and enjoy the difference in the quality of the food coming off your new KK. 

Use the Forum to look for cooking techniques for different proteins and such. Ask questions, it's a friendly bunch here, with lots of experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2021 at 3:03 PM, Basher said:

Troble and I use a flat gas griddle for eggs, bacon and quick cook ups. Others use Parrella style grills, pans and other methods. You will find once you get the hang of lighting the fire and then temp control within the KK you will use it even for short cooks.
BTW sausages in the KK are delish, seriously good... even cheap snags become sooo much better. The KK bakes the skin to a crispy crunch- not oily like a pan fried snag, a dry crunch.

Ohhhh..... I miss the cheapo snags from Coles or Woolies!! 

• Like 2

Congrats Jamie.

I just got my BB32 a few weeks back. It is my first Kamado style grill and only took a few days of playing around with settings to feel reasonably confident. This forum is also a great resource.

The key accessories that I use are welding gloves, black nitrile gives, grill floss and a MAPP touch for lighting. I was also given a Smartfire for Christmas. Only used it once but I really liked it. 

For eggs and stuff I uses a 12' Field Cast Iron pan. I own a ton of other cast iron, but the quality of the Field is amazing.

• Like 2

Thanks all for the kind words of welcome and advice. Greatly appreciated!

So I now have this beast on the front veranda. Took a bit to get it off the pallet.

First question. How do you lock the wheels in place ? I thought there might be a locking mechanism, but couldn't see anything. It's just chocked for now.

Wow, lots of racks, deflectors etc. I bought the split charcoal box also.

So if I was to reverse sear 2 rib eyes. I was thinking to use the bottom rack with half the charcoal div.

Slow cook on the none charcoal side. 

Take steak out, heat KK up and put over coals to sear.

Having a split basket, do I or should I use the deflector??

Also, didn't find any documentation. Is there KK specific documentation anywhere ? On recommended usage?

Thanks again. 

Cheers

Jamie

It doesn't lock, it's so heavy if you bumped into it you be moving in the opposite direction. For the perfect steak just recently posted was done by Cruzmisl , he did the sous vide method first and finished with a sear on the KK. Done well, done right. Online  for the documentation 

Edited by Tyrus

15 hours ago, Wilsonj said:

Having a split basket, do I or should I use the deflector??

No. The split basket is doing the job of the deflector in that configuration. Your approach to the reverse sear is otherwise correct. 

You should get an email from Dennis with the Owners Manual. Ping him if you don't get it shortly. 

If you have specific questions about a given cook, just ask here. Folks are always willing to help out with answers/suggestions.  

• Like 2

On 1/13/2021 at 1:33 AM, Wilsonj said:

Hi all,

As the title says, my BB32 will be delivered some time this week.  I'ts like the birth of a new child.

This is my first charcoal BBQ, and so I feel like I'm jumping in the deep end. The phrase "all the gear and no idea" keeps bouncing around my head!! argh.

I'm hoping there is quite a bit of literature that comes with the unit, as I feel my learning curve is going to be steep.

Firstly, is there anything I really must have ?

Elbow length welding gloves ?

Something to "poke" the coals ?

I have long tongs and just bought a Fireboard 2 with fan. (Not sure how the fan is going to mount yet, but that will be for later...)

Also picking up a MAPP torch for starting the coals.

Is there a cooking guide ? eg what temps should I be heating the KK up to for steak, fish, sausages etc? When should I use half the coals, where should I cook, what level etc

Anything I really shouldn't do ?

I've got so many questions,

Oh, I'm hoping I can sell my rather newish 4 burner Weber gas BBQ some time. But as we have kids, sometimes they just want a couple bbq sausages cooked.

Seems crazy to stoke a KK for that. Do people have small gas bbqs for something like that ? Was thinking a cheap $300 "club" style flat bbq might be handy for that sort of thing.

Firstly, welcome. Secondly, excellent choice. 

Take a week to read the forum and you'll be excited, overwhelmed, hungry, very hungry, raring to go. 

Don't look at the food thread if you're hungry is my first piece of advice. 

In terms of mandatories, what do you like to cook? Probably the easiest point of departure to give you some pointers. 

The Fireboard 2 is great. You won't need the fan as the temperature control is so good, but that's personal taste. The 32KK has so much fine control on it. 

I regularly fire up the KK to do small cooks, it's very economical and you'll find that you invent other cooks to go alongside. I did some sausages the other weekend, then threw on some aubergines and potatoes which I baked and then froze - can't beat the taste. Hardly used any charcoal and startup time to stable temperature is probably less than 30 mins. 

I have a 19KK to go with my 32KK so I can do different cooks at different temps or for small cooks, I tend to use the 19KK. 

Welcome @Wilsonj.  Don't panic.  It is a bit like getting to know your long term partner.  This one doesn't need a pre-nup and will forgive you for pretty much every mistake you can/will make along the way.  Assume it will take a while to get into your stride.  Make sure you enjoy the journey.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Wilsonj, I am excited for you! I too am awaiting arrival of my baby it is approaching the Long Beach port. I haven’t owned a gas grill in a long time and I wouldn’t go crazy in advance buying things until you see the need - that is the minimalist in me talking. However, the Steven Raichlen leather BBQ gloves are a fantastic way to protect yourself and I have owned mine for years worth their weight in gold. Also I would ditch the MAPP torch , leaves a petroleum taste buy a Looftlighter which lights with really hot air! 

The rest will play itself out with how you cook and all your adjustments. 

Have you named your baby? Color? Give me details!

• Like 2

On 1/13/2021 at 5:33 PM, Basher said:

Thanks Basher,

We usually cook fairly basic things, 

Scotch fillet

Salmon fillets or cutlets

Chicken breast

Now I have a more capable cooker I'm busting to try a d Boston butt among other things.

I have the rotisserie too, so I'd like to try a whole chook.

Of course there are the sausages..... and I'd love to get the hang of doing roast veggies well. These still end up in the oven.

Cheers

Jamie

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 2:49 AM, MacKenzie said:

Welcome Jamie, you are in for such a treat. Whatever you cook on the KK will taste so much better. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in no time. Fill the firebox up and begin. When you are finished with your cook close the vents and the fire will go out leaving you with lump that will just need to be topped up for the next cook. After the fire is out open the top vent just a tinest bit and put the dome into the position where is is NOT compacting the gaskets. Please remember we love looking at lots and lots of the arrival and unboxing pixs.:smt060

Did exactly this, thank you! And fire went out with coals left in the morning.

I'll add pics later. Busy at moment. But I have them. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 3:03 AM, Tyrus said:

Congrats Jamie. The most used and common tool your going to need is a good grate cleaner and there are many. Wire brushes, 3/8" open end wrench, & grill floss are the most common hand held along with chemical agents in sizeable tubs to soak and then again some just crank up the heat to clean. Don't toss the Weber, I find every grill has it's advantages and disadvantages and the Weber is quick to please the kids with a fast hotdog. If you haven't noticed there are some here and myself included that enjoy BBQ so much we purchase various types of cookers.  Sometime toys are expensive but the enjoyment of using them all come with the territory and a passion for using them. So, that being said I know you'll enjoy your KK, it is a great unit and you will soon become quite adept in it's use, good luck. Find a good cover

Thank you!

I'll need to get a stainless wire brush. Or check to see if the one I already has is or not. Its a bit dirty, so I can't tell! 

What are your thoughts on the spiral brushes that don't have those nasty wires that come out ? I stepped on a couple of these, and they aren't fun. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

I have been using my MAPP torch for years and certainly never noticed any petroleum smell or taste. It is only running for maybe 20 sec and then I hit the coals with the Milwalkie mini blower to  get the coals burning. :) 

I second that. I've never noticed any petroleum smell or taste using my MAPP torch either. 

• Like 2

On 1/14/2021 at 8:54 PM, AAAsh said:

Congrats Jamie.

I just got my BB32 a few weeks back. It is my first Kamado style grill and only took a few days of playing around with settings to feel reasonably confident. This forum is also a great resource.

The key accessories that I use are welding gloves, black nitrile gives, grill floss and a MAPP touch for lighting. I was also given a Smartfire for Christmas. Only used it once but I really liked it. 

For eggs and stuff I uses a 12' Field Cast Iron pan. I own a ton of other cast iron, but the quality of the Field is amazing.

Thanks, and congrats on your BB32 also!

I have the MAP torch. That was the best investment so far. I had angst about how difficult it might be to start a charcoal fire, but 10-20 sec with the MAP and things are going well.

• Like 2