Troble

Knife Recommendations?

Whether or not I should believe everything I read on the internet, I found this article very helpful when I first started researching sharpening stones. It’s a bit dated so there may be some new players, etc. but thought I’d share for those interested.

https://www.knifeplanet.net/best-sharpening-stones/

I still haven’t made an extremely purchase since most of my knives are medium hardness (shun, wusthof, misen and a few other off brands that don’t require anything too special). But I have a couple of 20cv knives coming next week, so I’m really appreciating the discussion on the thread as I have been revisiting this lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I disappeared down a rabbit hole thanks to this thread. Having spent half a day last week checking batteries, fluids and so on regarding my cars that I can't drive (due to lockdown and the weather), I decided to make myself feel better and decided to run to some knife upgrades. I may have gotten carried away. Not that something like that has ever happened to anyone on this forum before.

One of the first upgrades arrived yesterday. It's a work of art and I'm not sure whether I'm going to be cooking or admiring it more. Picture enclosed.

As a question for the group - does anyone have a recommendation for a bread knife? At worst, it'll have to slice sourdough and we've always used an old Laguiole (closest match is this). It works ok but the handle isn't very comfortable and feels far too small in my hand. What does everyone else do?

Screenshot 2021-01-25 at 18.32.29.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Braai-Q said:

I may have gotten carried away. Not that something like that has ever happened to anyone on this forum before.

:smt043

3 minutes ago, Braai-Q said:

As a question for the group - does anyone have a recommendation for a bread knife? At worst, it'll have to slice sourdough and we've always used an old Laguiole (closest match is this). It works ok but the handle isn't very comfortable and feels far too small in my hand. What does everyone else do?

After a very long quest to find a decent bread knife (I've been through at least 6), I am head over heels in love with this Japanese one that I recently purchased. Reasonable cost and cuts through crusty breads like butter! 

Suisin Inox Bread Knife 9.75" (25 cm) (korin.com)

AND, it's 20% off now with this code: KSALE20

• Like 3

The $18 dolla plus tx special. I spent a bit a time on it, an hour. Changed out the edge profile because there wasn't much of one there, it was sort of a filed down and resembled a roll. 1/8" stock, so the belt sander went into the vise and it was cleaned up for an edge. Worked it on the stone for a 1/2 hour or so and gave it a slice to test, it'll carve a roast nicely now. It is an odd long knife from a different era, but I think it'll work, definitely took an edge.

DSCF3325.JPG

DSCF3316.JPG

DSCF3323.JPG

DSCF3309.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 5698k said:

I don’t think you should spend real money on a bread knife, they can’t be sharpened properly. Go cheap, and replace when necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Define "real money" in terms of knives? In my book, it would be over $150.

This one, with the discount is $38.

So, what would you say is "Go cheap?"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5698k said:

I don’t think you should spend real money on a bread knife, they can’t be sharpened properly.

I've had good success using a ceramic rod of the same radius as the scallops (matching the bevel angle of course) until a burr forms on the back, then knock it off with the flat side on a stone. Same technique basically as on a chisel or plane blade.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tony b said:

:smt043

After a very long quest to find a decent bread knife (I've been through at least 6), I am head over heels in love with this Japanese one that I recently purchased. Reasonable cost and cuts through crusty breads like butter! 

Suisin Inox Bread Knife 9.75" (25 cm) (korin.com)

AND, it's 20% off now with this code: KSALE20

Interesting....

2 hours ago, 5698k said:

I don’t think you should spend real money on a bread knife, they can’t be sharpened properly. Go cheap, and replace when necessary.

We paid some guy who parks his sharpening van at a farmers market. He had equipment that could handle bread knives. Stunning difference. I needed to dull the tip, it was destroying our butcher block.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 5698k said:

More or less the conclusion I'd reached. Where I'd got to before checking group wisdom:

https://www.opinel.com/en/kitchen/parallele-wood-handle/n116-bread-knife-parallele

For those interested, here is my review of the Worksharp ken onion sharpening tool.
41a5f729460e18015e6f1b11e2bb65a5.jpg
Given this tool uses a belt that flexes when blade pressure is pushed upon the belt, it creates a convex edge to the blade.
Although I understood the theory of honing a convex edge, until I had achieved this, you really can’t appreciate the difference.
The edge doesn’t feel as sharp against your skin, but don’t underestimate how sharp it is when slicing.
I can get a razor edge on stones that look and felt sharper than what this tool can do, however, my knives now slice equally well, AND, keep the sharp edge for easily twice the amount of cutting. In fact, I haven’t had to resharpen yet.
The one downside is yes, the guides can leave a rub line about 20mm from the edge. There is an extension to this tool with larger belts designed to free run the blade without guides to overcome this- I don’t have this extension, maybe later.
It’s easy to use, quick, and provides a longer lasting edge.

• Like 7

What knives did you use?

All my knives, and my wife’s kitchen knives that are treated pretty rough.
Honestly this sharpener has made me reconsider each knife.
The wife has mostly scan pan range- these are holding their edge much longer.
I use a range of Japanese knives from aogami blue steel to ioshen. It’s the ioshen that had clean sides that are now marked by the guides. This is not seen on the other knives that have a patina.