Troble

Knife Recommendations?

Glad to find others knife lovers.
I begun with Victorinox sharpening with cheap Norton whetstone. Then bought some Shun.
Now, I’m in love with my Kanehiro apogamie super Nakiri. Bought good synthetic Japanese stone. Can’t be happier.
I also have a shirogami 2, Kikuichi Yanagiba. More specialized, but funny too.
26cc9399866813e0c150d8c35cd34983.jpg

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

• Like 5

Tony climb back down that knife roll hole. There’s pretty good picking at the moment- particularly in America.
Bruine is that yanagiba single bevel? I’ve been tempted for fine slicing, but not sure I’d control it well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Tony climb back down that knife roll hole. There’s pretty good picking at the moment- particularly in America.
Bruine is that yanagiba single bevel? I’ve been tempted for fine slicing, but not sure I’d control it well.

Yes. It’s single bevel. A bit of learning curve for thin slice. But you get the hang of it, and it’s a fine knife.
You need to buy the right side for you dominant hand. Unfortunately for southpaw, left handed ones are much higher priced here.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 6:47 PM, Basher said:

For those interested, here is my review of the Worksharp ken onion sharpening tool.
41a5f729460e18015e6f1b11e2bb65a5.jpg
Given this tool uses a belt that flexes when blade pressure is pushed upon the belt, it creates a convex edge to the blade.
Although I understood the theory of honing a convex edge, until I had achieved this, you really can’t appreciate the difference.
The edge doesn’t feel as sharp against your skin, but don’t underestimate how sharp it is when slicing.
I can get a razor edge on stones that look and felt sharper than what this tool can do, however, my knives now slice equally well, AND, keep the sharp edge for easily twice the amount of cutting. In fact, I haven’t had to resharpen yet.
The one downside is yes, the guides can leave a rub line about 20mm from the edge. There is an extension to this tool with larger belts designed to free run the blade without guides to overcome this- I don’t have this extension, maybe later.
It’s easy to use, quick, and provides a longer lasting edge.

Hey Basher. Late to the show as always, but I made it. So I see the sharpener, it's basically the same principle as my set up, the difference being this one has the guide. Who needs a guide? It appears to be a 2 inch wide belt whereas my hand held is 3 in. So I looked on line for it (love tools) and went straight for this particular model you chose not knowing you also made this choice. Well, obviously it's the better one and has a wider belt and looks like it'll do the job better than the other models. For me the clincher was the variable speed motor. Sticking my belt sander in the vise is flattening the plastic button for continuous run, so I think we'll pull the trigger on the Ken Onion. I'll tell ya my hand held puts a darn good edge on and almost anything and if you learn to temper your pressure with a 120 grit belt you can fine tune your edge and adjust the edge profile quite well. Thanks for posting the sharpener, when it comes in I'll post up a pic and maybe buy a new knife to accompany it. Stoked for it's arrival...love tools, did I mention that before.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 2

15-30 degrees 5698k and anything in between I understand. I presume this may be part of the guide set up. Already on it's way from Wisconsin.  As an after thought I remember what Basher had mentioned about the blade grinder attachment and belt attachment, so I included that in with the order. Better to have it than wishing later you had.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 1

Hey Basher. Late to the show as always, but I made it. So I see the sharpener, it's basically the same principle as my set up, the difference being this one has the guide. Who needs a guide? It appears to be a 2 inch wide belt whereas my hand held is 3 in. So I looked on line for it (love tools) and went straight for this particular model you chose not knowing you also made this choice. Well, obviously it's the better one and has a wider belt and looks like it'll do the job better than the other models. For me the clincher was the variable speed motor. Sticking my belt sander in the vise is flattening the plastic button for continuous run, so I think we'll pull the trigger on the Ken Onion. I'll tell ya my hand held puts a darn good edge on and almost anything and if you learn to temper your pressure with a 120 grit belt you can fine tune your edge and adjust the edge profile quite well. Thanks for posting the sharpener, when it comes in I'll post up a pic and maybe buy a new knife to accompany it. Stoked for it's arrival...love tools, did I mention that before.

Never used one like this, but before getting proper whetsones, I had some of my knives badly sharpened buy someone using a belt « knife eater ». I would advise anyone to use a very light hand with those. just the 120 grit make me cringe thinking of my passionate polishing of blades with a 8000 grit stone

• Like 2

I have a work sharp device myself, but I don’t use it on my “good” knives for that reason. I use my ts Prof for them. I like getting a true mirror edge, even though some prefer an edge with some tooth to it. I use the belt sharpener on my less expensive knives because it is fast, in some cases faster because some steels don’t do well with stones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Looking at the description if I remember correctly the heaviest grit was the 120 and all the others declined in abrasion. I did see finer belts to finish the edge, that I liked. Lets say you cut into a bone and chip your expensive Japanese knife accidentally, this tool could help you smooth it quickly without having to send it out. With that in mind I will still continue to use my whetstone.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

The Work Sharp came and I quickly familiarized myself . Then I said, we need a few "new to me knives" to sharpen, and so it was off to the neighborhood antique store. What I found, still in the box and never used was production Japanese Damascus steel Cleaver A-10 steel, 67 layer 7 inch with a nice displaying grain steel from wave to raindrop . Made by Tuo cutlery and fashioned with a paca wood handle, an $80-110 blade for $25. I also found two Case xx 1980's slicers for twenty dollars, they both needed work, one having some chips and the other couldn't spread butter. Brought them all back to life on the Work Sharp. I remember 5698 mentioning the mirror finish and I thought about the Edge pro sharpener, seems a good sharpener for Japanese knifes and easy to use and respectably priced. Saw a video of it in use and said maybe later, thats if I step up and start buying single production knives and wanting that mirror finish. 

Worksharp has come out with a new adjustable sharpener similar to Edge Pro but at a fraction of the cost. This one utilizes diamond stones that you simply adjust with a twist of a dial whereas the edge pro you change out the stones. Same principle and technique, it would depend on what your trying to achieve. They both get you there easily, although the worksharp has limitations on the length of blade.

DSCF3372.JPG

DSCF3373.JPG

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 3

Decided to finally post my kitchen toys resting at home. The blue/green and purple/pink with burl are the 20cv chef/gyuto hybrid that I got for my wife and I mentioned in another thread. Not the best sharpener so I mostly use a KME but I also have a couple stones and try free hand, often use a strop. Those with a sharp eye will likely recognize a few of the others.

7af35116c0791079d8b4b99bc25f4441.jpg
3f6796214858a7d20dc8dc5267e74024.jpg

• Like 5

BOC is that a magnetised knife storage?

It is, indeed. Guy in Canada makes them, each piece of wood has two rare earth magnets in it to hang a knife in each slot. He also does a bunch of live edge from rare burls or woods that hang your knife on the side showing outward like most magnetic racks. I like his stuff, but there are plenty of magnetic options out there.

• Like 1

BOC is that a magnetised knife storage?

It is, indeed. Guy in Canada makes them, each piece of wood has two rare earth magnets in it to hang a knife in each slot. He also does a bunch of live edge from rare burls or woods that hang your knife on the side showing outward like most magnetic racks. I like his stuff, but there are plenty of magnetic options out there.

Some beautiful handles on those knives BOC. Ah, before I trap myself down that Rabbit hole I believe there may be another cooker in my future first. They are a gorgeous sight to see just hanging there. 

Understandable. Mostly, I just like having sharp knives and a variety of style, but I’m not too far down that rabbit hole. Different styles because there is often a best tool for the task...and there is the 12 yr old at heart and shiny object factor too. Like a good cooker, a good knife will last a long time. And I intend to keep most of these for a long time.

• Like 2