Troble

Knife Recommendations?

Can't walk buy a bargain. I visited my favorite shop and saw this amongst the other knives, a brand new wusthof 8 inch bread knife at a price too low to pass on. Single edge serration only, although I hear they come serrated on both sides at a higher price. Attractive and very sharp, I believe Sygies was looking for a good bread knife, I'm no expert, but this looks like it'll do the job and then some.

DSCF3401.JPG

• Like 6

Can't walk buy a bargain. I visited my favorite shop and saw this amongst the other knives, a brand new wusthof 8 inch bread knife at a price too low to pass on. Single edge serration only, although I hear they come serrated on both sides at a higher price. Attractive and very sharp, I believe Sygies was looking for a good bread knife, I'm no expert, but this looks like it'll do the job and then some.

That’s a steal. Same bread knife in my household.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 5:15 AM, 5698k said:

I have the TS Prof K03 sharpener, it works beautifully, but it’s expensive.

aaaaa.thumb.jpeg.500d42f2e211d491e08146976467297c.jpeg

Iki Ruixin Pro Sharpener + 4 Whetstones Set ($119)

I keep getting hammered with Facebook ads for this sharpener. Versions on Amazon are $40 or so!?  Same basic geometry as the TS Prof. I'm happy with my much more expensive Shapton Glass setup, but would this setup be a good start for others? Or does it look like junk?

EDIT:

495774965_ScreenShot2021-07-23at8_19_03PM.thumb.png.caac49f073b0820cb183162a1f9b4e68.png

Wasabi Knives is the source of the Facebook ads I'm seeing.

I asked twice in the comments section for a source for their tag line claim "Voted #1 Sharpener 2020". While they answer other questions, they deleted my question twice, confirming my intuition that this is a baseless claim, something they made up.

Their products look nice on their web site, but in my experience whenever one ignores early warning signs about a company, one regrets it. A second warning sign is that there are indistinguishable offerings on Amazon at a fraction of the price.

There are plenty of other solid recommendations in this thread. I can answer my own question: Do not buy from Wasabi Knives.

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 1

Close your eyes if you like a fine blade.
A mate gave me his favourite knife and asked if it could be fixed.
eeff7efae45304ad18ea4c6751e7ff7d.jpg
This was after 5 minutes with the work sharp belt sharpener.
947cda559ffa3b4c37d28edc99f13f4c.jpg
If another 10 minutes was spent on this, I’m sure the blade could be ground to be more even, however, this will do given the previous state it was in.
He can bring it back in a year after he hacks it up again.
85ec478a349abc3a16434cbff0cd8dc5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Haha 1