Troble

Knife Recommendations?

Last spring we were looking for a nice housewarming gift for friends who were finally moving into an incredible home they had built.  There were very nice comments about Dustin and RealSharpKnife.com on KitchenKnifeForums.   A Kurosaki Fujin 210 gyuto caught my eye.  I already had a Kurosaki Shizuku 210 in R2 steel (purchased elsewhere) that I really liked so I bought the Fujin with custom handle.  Our friends still love it.  Here are the 2 of them.

C7343E7F-528A-4866-9973-34AD5AC5655B.jpeg

36BEC021-C881-40AF-A8BA-CD062278C1CC.jpeg

Edited by braindoc
Wrong photo
  • Like 2

Nice  knives David and Brain Doc, beautiful instruments.  A short story related to edges, knives and to Basher whom has been absent for a bit, anyhow he had suggested a sharpener called Work Sharp with a blade grinding attachment. Low and behold that attachment came in handy when I brought my planer knives to the local saw blade sharpener to take a look at. He quickly stated it was out of his realm and he couldn't guarantee the work. I was in a pinch and having no spares, the capabilities of the device I had  were put to the test and the knives surprisingly were given a second life, even though they were considered throwaways.

Having a real knife of quality requires a sharpener of the same. One I have seen mentioned here was the pivoting stone that sharpens the held knife fastened in position. It reminds me of a device I used to sharpen my chain saw blades.  Anyhow, what I'm saying is that whatever tool you have at your disposal at the time, regardless of your expertise, you'll never know unless you try.  I believe one could accomplish a fine edge even if you only had a piece of sandpaper and bit determination.  Or at least enough of an edge to get you by.

Edited by Tyrus

@Tyrus i've never used that kind of sharpener before, but seeing videos of it on yt, i'm not sure if it can accommodate bigger kitchen knives.  i heard you can sharpen a knife on a brick, but i'm afraid to find out if you can or not. 🙃

being a traditionalist, but not necessarily a purist, i've been sharpening mostly on synthetic stones. but i just ordered some natural whetstones to try out (jnats). still haven't used them yet, although i might need to lacquer them first. image.thumb.png.d2c40a325febd31c1a1febe745e9acae.png

• Like 2