portiadog

First Low n Slow Cook!

I received my 21" Komodo Kamado right at the end of the year. After doing the curing cook, my first few cooks were higher temp cooks for skirt steak and pork chops. Last night I started an 18 hour brisket, using a mix of the coffee charcoal and the much harder extruded coconut charcoal. I've also purchased some Binchotan and am excited to try that next time. 

I used an UltraQ to manage temps, and with a full basket of charcoal I had to keep the top vent only 1/8th of a turn open in order to keep the temps around 225F. Like everyone else says, it is amazing how well this thing holds heat! 

I used Meat Church's Holy Cow rub, and this is the first brisket that my formerly vegetarian wife has not only liked, but absolutely loved. I'm sold! 

09B739DC-54F0-4B14-9082-619C09914C82_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 10

That does look juicy with great bark. Sounds like everything is tight, once in the zone it's on cruise control. Hope you weren't pressed to run out and check on it, if you did out of curiousity that'll soon pass. I seldom check, and if I do and notice a climb it's not problem, the meat internal is what I'm looking for as long you didn't get any high spikes. Just watch the top hat when you open the lid and make a mental note of where it's at, it will move on occasion and then a spike or fall in temp could occur. A 1/4 turn for on mine sets me at 225, a slight bump jumps it up, once your comfortable it's all good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1