Jon B.

Finally Get To Meet Tony B.

My Sister and Mom live in the same town as Tony B.   We have been trying to meet up for years.  My Sister and her son's fiancée have met Tony before but not me.  Two ships passing in the night!!!  I would come into town and he would be off at a beer conference somewhere. 

Tomorrow I finally get to meet the famous Tony B.!!!!!   I came into town Sunday to visit Mom, gave Tony a ring and we are meeting tomorrow at his local tavern (all proper Covid rules being followed) for the introduction of a new beer. I can assure you a few KK Forum tall tales and BBQ lies will be told!!!!

A quick side story........About 4 years ago we were moving Mom out of her apartment into an assisted living apartment near my sister.  My nephew's girlfriend (now fiancée) rode with me in my van while the nephew drove the moving truck.  It was the first time I met her and we were making small talk during the  hour and half drive.  She told me she was a teacher but worked part time at a local brewery/tavern.  I happened to mention having a BBQ buddy in her town who was was a big home beer brewer.   Mention to her that  his name was Tony.  She looked at me funny and asked what Tony looked like.  I had seen a photo of Tony that he had posted once and did my best to describe him (he looks like a young Tom Selleck).  She filled in a few of the gaps of my description and when I agreed, she says.....I know Tony.  He comes in with the local brew masters club every month.  Talk about a small world!!!!

Looking forward to tomorrow.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

@tekobo - I've been hugged!

Was fun finally meeting Jon. His sister came along, too, whom I've met several times before. We had some tasty beers and a good long chat. For a short time, the lockdown was shoved into the background! 

@Jon B. - way too generous with the cooking supplies. But Thank You for the largesse! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, tony b said:

@tekobo - I've been hugged!

Was fun finally meeting Jon. His sister came along, too, whom I've met several times before. We had some tasty beers and a good long chat. For a short time, the lockdown was shoved into the background! 

@Jon B. - way too generous with the cooking supplies. But Thank You for the largesse! 

Pics or it didn't happen. <_<

• Haha 3

Got back late last night from Iowa.  Didn't have time to take a photo of Tony's care package for me but it was full of homemade beer and BBQ goodies. 

We met at the Lion Bridge Brewing Company for the introduction of a new beer.  A bunch of Tony's brewing and BBQ buddies were there and stopped by to say hello.  

Great conversations and great tasting beers!!!   Brought Tony's care package into the bar in a Bud Light box,  It was fun to hear all his brewer buddies and the server giving him the business, thinking there was Bud Light in the box.  

Only spent a couple hours together.  Looking forward to meeting again.  Tony is a very interesting guy!!!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jon B. said:

Great conversations and great tasting beers!!!   Brought Tony's care package into the bar in a Bud Light box,  It was fun to hear all his brewer buddies and the server giving him the business, thinking there was Bud Light in the box.  

I'm surprised you were not tarred and feathered for the Bud Light. I always threaten my father in law with Fosters Lager or something like Coors Light if he makes any rude remarks. Living dangerously! 

• Haha 4

Returned to the scene of the crime today for the release of the next beer in the series. Lunch was Vladimir Poutine (beef stroganoff with cheese curds on house made french fries) and Green Dragon (New Zealand Pilsner).

002.thumb.jpg.743ebb1239c3ab5d5981db851c48c0eb.jpg

Followed by "dessert" - Double Maple Coffee Gazprom on the left and Caramel Pecan Gazprom on the right.

003.thumb.jpg.b00825a6b88c0d3dc474ac88c7079e71.jpg

The Gazprom is a maple syrup infused Russian Imperial Stout finished in Bourbon barrels that the brewery has been doing for a number of years now and it's always released in January. These 2 beers are "one-offs" of the base with the addition of extra maple syrup and cold brewed coffee in the one, and; caramel and pecan additions to the other (first year for this one and it's amazing!) It's all part of Barrel-aged January at the brewery. The last one in the series is being released this Wednesday - Percussive Maintenance - Gazprom with shaved and toasted coconut (like a macaroon.) You KNOW that I'll be there! :drinkers:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1