jeffshoaf

Thoughts on Santa Maria/Argentenian/gaucho/ parrilla grills

8 hours ago, Basher said:

Yes Jeff, well cooked.
That grill looks like it can handle plenty more of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's a bit overkill for one steak and sides especially since i have to lug everything downstairs ( the KK, kettle, and gas grill are all conveniently located on the deck upstairs). That being said, it was a great steak - the taste was noticably better than over charcoal and the double heat management (coal placement and grate height) is very easy. I might have to get a Santa Maria attachment for the kettle!

My plan for this is for larger cooks and pool parties. I'm hoping to have a family reunion with 30 or more people this summer and was thinking I'd smoke some butts for pulled pork overnight on the KK and grill chicken and veggies on this new beast.

My sister likes the goat she's got at Indian restaurants and she's already wanting to get a whole one for me fix on this.

Edited by jeffshoaf
  • Like 3

And today this was delivered.
31a4a7f54dbcb1917833bbc14a13d142.jpg
Excellent detail with simple and easy use design.
Closed in storage below to keep timber dry.
Detail like the brass rolling handle
a9a557635d6c0c269096f3079ecd1338.jpg
Refractive cement bricks and wool in the door cavity to keep the front cool for the cook.
008319026c52bb70a87c92610752aed4.jpg
And the removable milled steel fire tray to elevate the initial fire for air circulation.
Also designed to lower the grill into the pit for caveman Sears.
b792a8cb6ded8fe0681fb9f4136e1db8.jpg
And removable grates and drip trays at dishwasher sizes.
9bf86d2e3b73829801d186e1d815ca40.jpg
And the removable spit for up to 40kg- that’s about 90lb!!!!
08c78e8294bcf39c07c003f263659f4b.jpg
This can also have a grill rack placed for other food while rotating.
Now I just have to practice cooking on this Parilla.
Oh, and the cover with slits to allow access to the storage area without completely unpacking.
481badb7e0498ec11a305f61d0d40bec.jpg

• Like 9

@Basher I have been busy all day and didn't have time to comment earlier.  I am beside myself with excitement.  That looks like a beautiful piece of kit.  What fun you and @jeffshoaf are going to have as you explore this type of cooking.  Looking forward to seeing more on this thread.  And, yes, yes, yes, I love those v grates.  

• Like 3

Where do I start with this post?
Today I turned 50, raised the bat, and saluted the many friends I’ve made along the way.
Yesterday, I received this gift from friends.
c616c6cbed3731b3e0b7f3a08271c23e.jpg
And yesterday, the same friend who paid for my KK found this. A gift from the gods.
066138829860a2e86101692cedbc9299.jpg
We quickly made plans to call some mates together to celebrate this combination and share in the maiden Parilla voyage.
dd63a1d6c8a096f5f3f69011632e9a63.jpg
And ate this.
b9d63ab49d7ee9cac042b96c06d4c8c3.jpg
This is definitely the tastiest road kill I have ever eaten.
0b0da8ab71962561749b513e2482ae27.jpg
Maybe because I don’t often eat road kill, nor do my friends- apart from some friends being tricked into eating road killed guinea fowls when we were kids while their parents ate prime steak. What can I say other than times were tough back then.
Times may not be so tough now and I am certain there are some readers thinking ROAD KILL, that’s outrageous.
So it must be said, that all consumers were made aware of what they were consuming and where it came from with full disclosure of providence. and, all agreed that the numerous risks were checked and passed scrutiny. We couldn’t waste the opportunity provided before our eyes.
6d44adaa4d790f4d8cdb40765c458377.jpg
We grazed from 1pm until 10pm and kept tossing new fuel on the fire in between tasting plates with different rubs and spices.
This was a wonderful occasion to be remembered for many reasons and certainly an experience I will cherish.
This mate changed my nappies in PNG, purchased my KK and provided this delicious food on my 50th. That’s a lot of water under this bridge and an unbreakable friendship along the way.
06e9e0ae2504daa1fa7f53ce1e13cae6.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Late to the party as usual.  Belated happy birthday [mention=3378]Basher[/mention]!  Had me puzzling about PNG and nappies but I'll go with the flow...
[mention=1262]jeffshoaf[/mention], lovely looking pork chop and apple meal.  Giving me inspiration for a nice weekday dinner tonight.  

Thank you all for the well wishes.
Tekobo I was born in PNG and my dad worked for johnnies dad. Johnny has a several years on me and he use to look after me as a baby.

• Like 2