jeffshoaf

Thoughts on Santa Maria/Argentenian/gaucho/ parrilla grills

1 minute ago, Poochie said:

Why don't you use a Seal-a-Meal on some of those leftovers? I'd get sick of eating that pork butt every day for sure. Your setup is beautiful and I love that grill/Santa Maria. It takes a while to get the hang of cooking with wood but you look like you're well on your way. That steak supper looked delicious!

I tend to forget leftovers in the freezer...

• Like 1

I won't keep you long Jeff. You mentioned the heat deflector under the deck, this gives rise to the thought of the dark stains forming on my beams above the Santa Maria. Keep that in mind down the road, this condition kinda creeps up on you. The extra height is a plus for you, but the smoke will become noticeable later . Too bad about the brassero, it would have been nice if they mentioned the change beforehand rather than it being a surprise. But, I'm glad it's all working out, they're alot of fun to use and require way more attention than other grills but as they say, Life is a journey, enjoy the trip. Well, as far as the diet thing goes, I can't help you there, but I figure it this way, "it's the reason they provide all those extra holes on your belt".

• Like 1

Nicely done Jeff. That fire looks easier to manage, quicker to get to cooking stage, and less wasted fuel.
I am sooooo missing my bbq’s.
This is my house at the moment.
c6d2e6c1477d7974216582b174c38c32.jpg
The KK and the Parilla are locked down in the back yard.
The Parilla was mostly used when I exited, however, it was also the newer toy so it will be interesting to see which bbq I gravitate towards when I return.
It’s been 2 months away and hence not many posts. Hope to be back by Xmas with a new garage and kitchen- not that I’ll use the kitchen much with the bbq’s needing some cooking attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

A nice looking cook @jeffshoaf.  Good for getting close to the food you are griling. 

Your work looks like it is coming along well @Basher.  I think you will reach a good balance between your ODK and IDK, particularly since the latter will include your new dry ager!  I find that I rarely use my Argentinian/Parilla grill.  Mainly because I find the KKs so much easier to light.  That said, I want to do a lot more experimenting with fire cooking a la Lennox Hastie and others.  Winter will see me bundled up and outdoors I hope, trying out stuff on the KKs, Argie Barbie and Solo Stove.  What fun.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It’s 85 degrees today in San Diego….just saying. And my kitchen is being redone this week and next and while I originally thought I’d cook every meal outside the Lack of a sink & dishwasher puts a crimp on things and I’ve only done KK chicken breast/griddled quesadillas and have opted for takeout almost every night. 

hang in there @Basher it’ll all be worth it once you’re done 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 2/9/2021 at 11:22 PM, jeffshoaf said:

If you have or have used one of these types of grills, what do you like and dislike about them?
Any changes you'd make to the one you have if you could?
 Do you stick with lump or do you use wood? It's a brasserros worth having?
 Any links to sites with discussion of techniques for this type of grill?

sorry i'm late to this thread. i've always dreamt of completing my trifecta of kamado-pizza-oven-argentine grill. but i live a residential rooftop building, so i don't think management and my neighbors will like it if i start a bonfire just grill some steaks. so i got this little santa maria grill attachment that was made for a weber kettle, but i managed to make it fit on a fiberglass fire pit, so anyone who's chilling on the sofa and wants to grill a piece of chicken or marshmallow can just do it themselves comfortably seated..

i don't like the noisy scratchy ratchet clanking noise the attachment makes, but it's cheap so its expected. 

i'd probably get a full size grill if there are no restrictions, or have one built into a kitchen. 

i burn apple, pear, lychee, peach, jujube, or whatever wood i can get that is suitable. i use charcoal baskets to hold the wood in place. it allows me to split the fire to the sides or combine it in the center. 

image.png.13b9562865ba7ef1672fc35dc9bcf3c2.png

image.thumb.png.b8464d969fc4cb2989d81ef4bfd7faee.png

image.thumb.png.75a7b749f607539b74a85c0f31d0d716.png

• Like 8

Jujube...now that brings back memories. My grandmother had a huge jujube tree in her yard and we'd eat those things every day when visiting.  The fruit is sort of like a mini apple with a nutty pecan type taste.  I'll bet the smoke from the jujube wood is sweet smelling. By the way, I love your setup!

Is the top part what you might refer to as a "Gabby's grill"? If it is I haven't seen one with a nice decorative bottom as that. It certainly covers the bases for having a Santa Maria on the rooftop. Now if only I could only be half as organized. That camera must have moved or should we call you Bond 007?

3 hours ago, Poochie said:

Jujube...now that brings back memories. My grandmother had a huge jujube tree in her yard and we'd eat those things every day when visiting.  The fruit is sort of like a mini apple with a nutty pecan type taste.  I'll bet the smoke from the jujube wood is sweet smelling. By the way, I love your setup!

every time i eat one, i don't know what i'm eating...is it an apple? a nut? 

image.png.e7d26cc09d0dc7c0d4f4d9a98cb70ed0.png

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Tyrus said:

Is the top part what you might refer to as a "Gabby's grill"? If it is I haven't seen one with a nice decorative bottom as that. It certainly covers the bases for having a Santa Maria on the rooftop. Now if only I could only be half as organized. That camera must have moved or should we call you Bond 007?

the attachment is made by titan great outdoors, but it's very similar to gabby's grill. the bottom is a totally separate fire pit on its own. they just happen to marry nicely together..

• Like 1

Anything made of metal will eventually one day return to the earth, it does it slowly and before you unnoticed. It's when you take notice, you realize the party's over. AHH, just kiddin, it should reward you with many years of unique and entertaining cooks, but it'll never have the convenience of the KK and I fear it won't outlast it either.  Maybe you purchased the SSteel, a wise choice, if not the other will reward you for many years of service too. Nothing lasts forever, but if you had both you'd have double the pleasure, you know, like the gum..........double mint.  Oh yes, you'll definitely need the cover, it's a must.....unless you live in the desert.

On the other hand, preparing food and tending a fire on a S.Maria is one and only. It's all visual, the eye's don't lie and it's about the experience the ride. Keeping it covered and rust free makes the ride all the better.

• Like 3

I finally managed to build a fire that's not way too big for what i was grilling - a dry aged ribeye and a couple of thick pork chops. The steak was for dinner and the chops for later in the week.
I'm really enjoying this grill; it's just a bit overkill for these small cooks.
PXL_20211108_210137673.thumb.jpg.db3a501c9f220edc7a14447ffd9586c2.jpg
PXL_20211108_210356850.thumb.jpg.932f64e5bfe2d5baf72e9db2d1b876c2.jpg
PXL_20211108_211555009.thumb.jpg.a10347b4b27192ba81f069414d888834.jpg
PXL_20211108_211601047.thumb.jpg.c1e2fb2d69f13b052f5a7fc479cd98e5.jpg
PXL_20211108_214403343.thumb.jpg.4a0db3dd0c0d997f48ddf6cb0fda5967.jpg
PXL_20211108_214758074.thumb.jpg.936be3307274aae7585e185c787bf449.jpg
PXL_20211108_214814109.thumb.jpg.bfecf5c528d2ab96272c4dca884c1f68.jpg

Hey Jeff do you mind if I ask you for the dimension of your grill I ordered one and I needed they mention I just can’t find them on the website

1 hour ago, Buzilo said:

Hey Jeff do you mind if I ask you for the dimension of your grill I ordered one and I needed they mention I just can’t find them on the website

I had the dimensions written down but I tossed those notes once mine was delivered. I'll try to remember to measure tomorrow but if you call them, they can provide then in short order. I do have a few dimensions I found some dimensions in some of my pre-ordering emails.

Base: 57L x 23W x 18H (note that this does not include the portion of the grill that hangs over in the back sheet the brasserio sits)

Height from ground to top of wheels: 78"

Width from outside to outside of hand wheels: 63"

I had the dimensions written down but I tossed those notes once mine was delivered. I'll try to remember to measure tomorrow but if you call them, they can provide then in short order. I do have a few dimensions I found some dimensions in some of my pre-ordering emails.
Base: 57L x 23W x 18H (note that this does not include the portion of the grill that hangs over in the back sheet the brasserio sits)
Height from ground to top of wheels: 78"
Width from outside to outside of hand wheels: 63"

Sorry Jeff, do you know the measurement from front of the grill to the back?