Forrest

Hello from St. George, UT, United States

Hello, my name is Forrest. I’m probably one of the youngest forum members at 25. I have become super involved with Kamado style cooking the past year and have absorbed as much knowledge as possible.

I’ve had different grills along this journey but I’ve ended up with a Kamado Joe Big Joe. Although I believe the Big Joe is a top of line ceramic grill I see numerous advantages in the refractory cement grills that Dennis is building. I believe they are the finest Kamado style cooker in the market.

The added insulation, further reduced airflow, hinge mechanism without the need of bands, airflow controls/dampers, all of the 304 stainless steel, integrated base with wheels, and the sheer beauty. Damn KK’s are the Rolls-Royce of grills/smokers/outdoor cookers in general.

I have saved up money for what I think will be a perfect sized KK for me. I have decided on the 21” and have my eyes set on the olive/gold pebbles. I talked with Dennis a week ago and he said he was going to sort pebbles for a 21” grill and send me picture. I find it kind of tough to get ahold of KK but I’m waiting patiently to hear back and patience is worth the level of personal customer service you receive from KK. Dennis gave me some tips on the bacon cook below.

I will share some photos of my cooks/Kamado experience. Can’t wait to add a KK to the stable. Cheers!

76c7ab45ebf2ee64cb5f3f8f991565d9.jpg
1f1134466809a8b90e0f397692ee96ff.jpg
5aca24d043b7762957316a6ff945a12f.jpg
8720a743ea25716e17f0145543207c98.jpg
77428388e93145f0a84b9b53ad3b4fd4.jpg
c8c15a059c43510f0dca68c39f1ad023.jpg
aebbafe34a3ca23504cc0f189421a5c9.jpg
284ee1cdb3bef9bb5a5bb7ec49b81662.jpg
df8a95e87a48df63590c6573f44979b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Forrest,  Wow!  If there was ever a guy who deserved a Komodo Komoda, you’re the one.  I also bought the 21’ Superior (with square black tiles) after being reassured by Dennis that it was large enough to cook a large packer brisket, and indeed it is.  I love mine, but it’s so cold and snowy in Idaho, I am not using it very much.  But spring is coming and so is entertaining, so I am watching every video and reading every book on the subject.  I can hardly wait to get back at it.  Dan

• Like 4

You’re definitely well ahead of the curve! The kk will only make you better with all of the advantages you mentioned about it. Don’t let anyone tell you that the grill doesn’t make that much difference. I just recently got my kks back after a year and a half, in the meantime cooking on a traeger, a Weber, and the occasional egg a friend’s house. The kk stands alone.

Pics are required on delivery, and welcome to kk cooking!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Forrest said:

Hello, my name is Forrest. I’m probably one of the youngest forum members at 25.

Hey Forrest welcome aboard. Well, 25 is kinda old you know pretty much everybody here is younger than that.  I believe TonyB and Mackenzie are 19 and 20 respectively, ahhh no matter, what's age anyhow..just another birthday. I like your thoughts and you won't be disappointed with the performance, as a matter of fact two racks of St Louie are laying on my grill now. Big Joe and a small oval, a good arsenal but the KK just might put them into early retirement. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Big Joe and a small oval, a good arsenal but the KK just might put them into early retirement. 

The small grill is a BGE MiniMax. Awesome for camping/transporting. The KK will replace that on my back patio and the BGE will find a place in the garage dedicated for transporting. I have a feeling one day a larger KK may replace the Big Joe. But until then I will be really set with the Big Joe and hopefully the 21” soon. Admittedly I’m not patient... hoping Dennis gets back to me soon. Lol.

• Like 3

I’m looking forward to seeing more of your new cooks- they look well prepped.

Of course! I just cooked up these chicken wings for lunch. The secret is high temp 450-500 and cook them high in the dome for the radiant heat off the dome, makes them crispy every time!6c96e5891f999990ebabee5a11583051.jpg

• Like 5

You'll truly have no idea of the quality until you actually touch it and use it. It's one of those things that has to be experienced; it can't be explained.

As for Dennis replying, remember he's on the other side of the globe and personally walks everyone though the experience. I can only imagine how much time that takes in addition to manufacturing, product testing etc. FWIW, I save my correspondence for very specific things like ordering parts (which reminds me)......otherwise everyone here is happy to help.

Good luck!
J

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Welcome [mention=3733]Forrest[/mention].  All good decisions so far, apart from the one to go with olive gold pebble.  Come over to the dark side.  Tiles cook so much better!

Rubbish Tekobo.
I thought you would prefer to start on the right side of Forrest?
Everyone knows pebble was a wise choice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3