Forrest

Hello from St. George, UT, United States

Bahaha! The great tile debate. Hilarious!!

You buy what you feel is best. If it connects, it doesn't matter. When I bought mine way way back in the mid 2000's, pebbles were just making their way into the lineup.

Dennis will pick the grout which is usually black. The grout material is not as durable as a glazed tile and would stain if a lighter color and difficult to clean. There's a reason for everything on these cookers.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Update:

I was finally able to get ahold of Dennis and get my official order put in. Here is the sorted pebbles that will be used for my future 21” Supreme. Also I added the side tables, drip pan, half grate, cover, and wood/charcoal to the order. Dennis said it should hit the water mid-March!

9a633b058289368593eeb8020866e3c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Forrest
  • Like 8

Nicely done, grasshopper! Good job on getting the pallet loaded up with wood/charcoal. About the only way to get them in the US now. 

If you have ANY interest in the pizza stone, get it now, because it's very heavy and the shipping costs are very high if shipped solo later. 

Edited by tony b
  • Like 1

“interest in the pizza stone, get it now”

That is good advice, as of right now I’m going to pass because I have the DoJoe pizza attachment for ceramic Kamado. I think the KK really is going to out preform my Kamado Joe for Low N’ Slow but I think pizza cooks won’t be drastically different. Just my 2c but I could be wrong.

I have to think the kk will drastically out perform the joe because of the same reason..the kk will maintain high heat with less airflow, which I believe will be more even, and flavorful...that’s my story, I’m stickin with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m sure the KK makes amazing pizza, maybe I will get the pizza Stone just in case. The Joe has a huge pizza insert that causes the heat to radiate down from the dome and out the front. You can see the pizza the whole cook.

5e965dbe4b9a8db5de2ac1e1f2aa38f8.jpg

• Like 1

Forrest, that's a great set up you're going to have. Sadly, the longest two months of your life is ahead lol.

I have a few thoughts. In the grand scheme of things, $75 for the baking stone is a small investment. It fits perfectly and will essentially be shipped free. Worth the cost IMO.

You may also want to invest in a cover for your cooker. This will depend on where you plan to place the cooker and the weather conditions in Utah. If there is even the chance of the cooker getting wet and temperatures dropping below freezing, it HAS to be covered. As with any porous surface, freeze/thaw cycles can quickly take their toll.

Lastly, while not even close to being essential, I find my BBQ Guru makes long cooks effortless. It may be something you can research while you wait.

If you haven't figured it out yet, members on this forum are experts at spending everyone else's money :-)

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I second everything everyone else has said about the pizza stone.  I deliberately did not order one for my 32 and almost immediately regretted not doing so when I started to bake on my 32.  The cost of getting one shipped out to the UK on its own would be prohibitive but, super luckily for me, @RokDok appears to have two and is going to let me have his spare one when we finally get to visit him and Mrs RD.  And yes, we have discussed it and the spare baking stone does not appear to be a heat deflector but rather a production "second".  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cruzmisl said:

"Forrest, that's a great set up you're going to have. Sadly, the longest two months of your life is ahead lol."

Ain't that the truth.

10 hours ago, cruzmisl said:

"I have a few thoughts. In the grand scheme of things, $75 for the baking stone is a small investment. It fits perfectly and will essentially be shipped free. Worth the cost IMO."

8 hours ago, tekobo said:

"I second everything everyone else has said about the pizza stone."

You guys convinced me! I added the baking stone to the order. This is my final decision so I stop bugging Dennis with amending my order, lol! :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

You guys convinced me! I added the baking stone to the order. This is my final decision so I stop bugging Dennis with amending my order, lol!

Good luck. During my waiting period, I probably amended my order 5 times. I’m sure Dennis loves when people do that (sarcasm). But I’m sure he doesn’t mind really, it is a business after all and the more you buy the better he is doing.

You can expect your patience to be tried a bit while you wait, and likely comforted by some retail therapy. I should be taking arrival of mine in the next couple of weeks. My wait has proven to be great for my future cooks and equally poor for my cash flow. For all of the right reasons of course.

Can’t wait for the young grasshoppers to show what we are capable of.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Well I dropped some serious coin today (for me at least). If you are a young grasshopper like myself it is good to compartmentalize your funds when you got it. I set most of the cost aside for my 21” KK with a gift card to use once my KK is ready for the 2 month boat ride. So stoked for this cooker!
362f0638912beb9018c9d85adc84b149.jpg

• Like 4

Forrest I’m going to sound like an old man here but here is something that I thought of because of your young age. It looks like your in your first home. This will not be your last home but this KK will be with you the rest of your life. You may want to save the base and the top/ramp of the shipping crate so that you can easily move this to your next home. I’m amazed that someone your age has taken this leap but I’m very excited for you.
When I bought my KK I did ask my son what color he liked since he would inherit it at some point. His answer was wise beyond his years when he said Cobalt pebble instead of tile. He’s just a chip off the ole block I guess.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This will not be your last home but this KK will be with you the rest of your life. You may want to save the base and the top/ramp of the shipping crate so that you can easily move this to your next home.

This is really great advice, I will keep portions from the crate for future moves, thanks.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Forrest said:

This is really great advice, I will keep portions from the crate for future moves, thanks.

As part of the bottom crate, make sure to keep the box in the middle - it's essential if you ever have to move the KK to a new home. It keeps the weight off the legs during bouncy transits. 

• Like 3