GrillnBrew

Greetings from North Carolina

Hi All, I kind of jumped on Kirby's welcome post, so I figured I should start my own.  I have been lurking for quite awhile and really enjoying the stories and all the pictures of the great cooks.  I currently have a Kamado Joe classic that will be 4 years old next month.  I am starting to experience the size limitations and was looking at the Big Joe, but if I'm going to spend $2500 on that, I decided I owed it to myself to explore the KK, more money but no broken fireboxes, cracked lids etc.  I came here to specifically look at the 23", thinking adding that to my classic would pretty well cover most of my cooks. The more I read and the more pictures I look at, I am thinking I may want to go with the BB 32, which I guess will definitely cover all my cooks.  I probably do 70% grilling and 30% low and slow, mostly butts, ribs and briskets, and grilling is chicken, seafood and steaks.  My wife and I are empty nesters, but lots of family is nearby and most events end up at our house with me grilling for 6-15 people, which is why I typically go for the large protein cooks.  I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I feel my resistance weakening.

• Like 8

I have a 23 and 32 and we are also empty nesters. Both are great and serve us well, but the 32 is on another level. It is almost always in a split basket configuration, perfect for 2-zone grilling with ample room. But it obviously also has room to accommodate the larger cooks. Really hard to beat the flexibility of a 32. If you're routinely grilling for 6-15, you can do it on a 21, but you'll be wishing you had a 32.

• Like 2

Hi @GrillnBrew.  Welcome again.  @RokDokand @tony b are likely to be interested in your grill and brew combo.

The 32 is a no brainer for the level of use that you describe.  Like @buzilo, I learned my lesson the hard way.  In spite of advice to the contrary I went for a 21 and 23.  I have since sold them and now have a 32, 23 and 16.  Whatever you do, don't become a one kamado/one grill household.  The versatility of cooking at different temps on two different cookers can't be beat, particularly when you don't want to have to keep dashing into the IDK to cook some parts of the meal. 

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, tony b said:

So, let's talk about the "brew" part of your Forum name? Several of us here are homebrewers. :drinkers:

Another hobby with lots of expensive gadgets! 😄

It's not an expense - it's an investment.

Looking forward too to hearing about the "brew" part of your name.

• Haha 2

So, let's talk about the "brew" part of your Forum name? Several of us here are homebrewers. :drinkers:
Another hobby with lots of expensive gadgets! 

A hobby?????
RD and tony are too professional to call it a hobby.
You guys run rings around most commercial brewers from what I’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I've been brewing about 15 years now.  I have a Sabco that served me well after doing time with canning pots, turkey fryers, water coolers etc.  I have since downsized to a Blichmann Brew Easy which does a better job with 5-gallon batches and I no longer have to lift kegs filled with wet grain.  I used to do 10-gallon batches, but I don't drink as much, kids moved out and with the pandemic, we haven't had any homebrew club meetings or beer festivals where I can share.  I do have a recipe that I brewed at a local brewery, the head brewer was in my club and always enjoyed my chocolate rye porter, so I was able to brew that on his system.  He brewed it again in December and now it is out in cans, so that is cool.

I did quickly notice that Tony and RD are into brewing, so I followed those threads very closely. I think it is cool that RD can get water from the creek running by his house, I can imagine the profile is perfect for stouts.  

Lots of expensive gadgets is right!  

• Like 3

Ah @GrillnBrew.Thank you. That's very interesting.

I've had to look up most things you mention !

I now know what canning pots and turkey fryers are - I never imagined you could deep fry a turkey.

My development is a bit arrested as I haven't progressed beyond my home made set up !

The Sabco system looks an amazing piece of kit, reproducible brews and mobile to boot.

I can understand though the move to the Blichmann Easybrew for smaller batches. I can still lift the pots with wet grain / water - just about- but then again I tend to brew with friends so it spreads the load.

There has been a rash of brew systems along the lines of the Spiedel Braumeister which are a bit more like brew in a bag systems and I like the idea that both the Sabco and the Blichmann are RIMS. I bet the Blichmann is superb quality.

My system is a chimera - RIMS , but then I do a final sparge with water from a hot liquor tank.

Might you be prepared to share your chocolate rye porter recipe ? It sounds interesting - never brewed with Rye.

Will need to brew in the not-too-distant future to replenish stocks - The combined Maillard of Stout and KK Steak are going very well together.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Blichmann equipment is the "gold standard" in homebrewing gear - IMHO. Soft spot for them, as Dr. Blichmann is a Mech Eng professor over at IA State. Smart man, he give his grad students "projects" that become the prototypes for some of his commercial gear! I've met him several times at Hombrew Con, while salivating over his latest product. I don't own a lot of his gear, it's all top notch, but also pricey. 

I'm currently experimenting with the BeerMkr. I backed them in Kickstarter. Neat system for brewing small batches (5L), which is a good size for me right now, with the pandemic. 

I hear you about how COVID has messed with all the Club meetings and Festivals last year. Our homebrew club had our online meeting last night. We're hoping that the weather will be warm enough by the April meeting that we can meet face-to-face again outdoors. I have my fingers crossed that this year's Homebrew Con in mid-June will still happen in San Diego. Last year's in Nashville was cancelled of course, as was GABF in the fall. All the local Festivals were cancelled here over the summer/fall, including our own club's annual homebrew fest - Drink Local, where we host many of the other homebrewing clubs in the state or on the border with WI and IL. We are optimistic about holding it this year! :occasion5:

Edited by tony b
  • Like 2

@GrillnBrew welcome! I have a 32 and love it. I grill on it 2-3x week mostly for my wife and I, too lazy to use the split basket I just shove the coals to the corner most the time but I’m also a guy who loves to smoke brisket, butts and ribs. I’ve done 3 10lb pork butts easily on just the top grate alone on my 32. I believe if you’re gonna have one KK you won’t regret getting a 32

@tony b I hope your convention in San Diego happens but honestly I don’t see CA allowing anything like that until after summer but who knows 🤞

Edited by Troble

On 2/20/2021 at 11:47 AM, Troble said:

@GrillnBrew welcome! I have a 32 and love it. I grill on it 2-3x week mostly for my wife and I, too lazy to use the split basket I just shove the coals to the corner most the time but I’m also a guy who loves to smoke brisket, butts and ribs. I’ve done 3 10lb pork butts easily on just the top grate alone on my 32. I believe if you’re gonna have one KK you won’t regret getting a 32

Thanks Troble.  I have a few obstacles to overcome before I commit to the 32.  According to the dimensions it's almost 36x36, and if I want it on my deck, it is going to have to go through the house and I'm not sure it will make it out the back door to the deck.  Alternatively, it could go under the deck on the patio, but there is a decent hill to get from the front yard to the back yard.  At least it is downhill!

On 2/19/2021 at 7:30 AM, RokDok said:

Ah @GrillnBrew.Thank you. That's very interesting.

I've had to look up most things you mention !

I now know what canning pots and turkey fryers are - I never imagined you could deep fry a turkey.

My development is a bit arrested as I haven't progressed beyond my home made set up !

The Sabco system looks an amazing piece of kit, reproducible brews and mobile to boot.

I can understand though the move to the Blichmann Easybrew for smaller batches. I can still lift the pots with wet grain / water - just about- but then again I tend to brew with friends so it spreads the load.

There has been a rash of brew systems along the lines of the Spiedel Braumeister which are a bit more like brew in a bag systems and I like the idea that both the Sabco and the Blichmann are RIMS. I bet the Blichmann is superb quality.

My system is a chimera - RIMS , but then I do a final sparge with water from a hot liquor tank.

Might you be prepared to share your chocolate rye porter recipe ? It sounds interesting - never brewed with Rye.

Will need to brew in the not-too-distant future to replenish stocks - The combined Maillard of Stout and KK Steak are going very well together.

In the southeastern US, we fry anything, and fried turkey is delicious!  I never fried one in my brew pot, but I may have steamed a bushel of oysters or two.  Not sure if there is a place for beer in the recipe section, but I will get you the recipe.  I love brewing with rye, it can get a bit sticky so I always use rice hulls so I don't end up with a stuck sparge.  I brewed a spruce tip rye IPA once with spruce tips I picked off a tree at a place I was staying in Maine, one of my favorite beers I've brewed.  Have you ever tried smoking your malt for a rauchbier or other smoked beer using your KK?  I smoked a couple pounds of 2-row with cherry wood, and made a smoked porter which was really nice.  Now I'm wondering if I need to pick up the cold smoker when I order my grill....

21 hours ago, GrillnBrew said:

@Tony we have probably passed each other at a past NHC, and if you were in Baltimore or Philly, you may have tried one of my beers on club night!

Missed Philly, but I was in Baltimore. Our club has poured in Grand Rapids and Minneapolis. We were thinking about Nashville before it got cancelled. San Diego is just too far to haul our trailer with all our gear and beers. 

20 hours ago, GrillnBrew said:

Have you ever tried smoking your malt for a rauchbier or other smoked beer using your KK? 

Way back in the day, I did smoke some grain on the old POSK. Actually took 2nd place in a brew contest with it. Not a huge fan of rauchbier, so I really haven't made another one since. One of the few beers that I generally won't drink. The other is anything pumpkin! Vile! :smt118

2 hours ago, tony b said:

Missed Philly, but I was in Baltimore. Our club has poured in Grand Rapids and Minneapolis. We were thinking about Nashville before it got cancelled. San Diego is just too far to haul our trailer with all our gear and beers. 

I was in Minneapolis, went to the beer dinner at I think it was Surly, then on to a baseball game.  I go easy on pro brewers night, or whatever it is called now, and valiantly attempt to try as many homebrews as I can on club night.  I have been thinking about SD, but I have to see how CA and the rest of the country is doing before a cross country flight.  Plus I could use that money on a few more KK accessories.

Our Club was the 1st one you saw when they opened the doors on Club Night in Minneapolis - Cedar Rapids Brewing Society. We had 2 bars set up. I brought my Gose. It was well received, lots of positive comments. 

I booked my hotel in SD months ago. Nice venue, been there 2x before for HomebrewCon. We'll see what AHA does around registration time? You saw how they really changed up the Competition judging this year. At least they're not pouring out the beers like they did last year! 😢