remi

Incoming 32"BB to Melbourne, Australia

I've had a Cascade hop plant for over 13 years now - still going strong, even after getting heavily damaged in last summer's derecho. I usually get a couple of pounds of dried cones in a good year. I rarely use them up and end up tossing a bunch every harvest (2 year old ones) to make room for the new crop. 

• Like 1

Yep- tomorrow's the day. Then just need to confirm with my builder when he's free to come around (he's going to have a quick look at the deck area, and come armed with a couple of apprentices, some plywood and a pallet jack to get it up the 2 steps onto the deck). Hopefully it won't spend too many days blocking the garage in the interim!

Meanwhile- I've ordered everything I need to be up and running by this weekend- lump charcoal, smoking wood chunks, smoking pellets for the hot/cold smoker, heat proof gloves, gas torch for lighting charcoal, pizza peel, some Lodge cast iron, pink butcher paper, and some rubs and sauces. That way- it is game on straight away!

Edited by remi
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, remi said:

Yep- tomorrow's the day. Then just need to confirm with my builder when he's free to come around (he's going to have a quick look at the deck area, and come armed with a couple of apprentices, some plywood and a pallet jack to get it up the 2 steps onto the deck). Hopefully it won't spend too many days blocking the garage in the interim!

Meanwhile- I've ordered everything I need to be up and running by this weekend- lump charcoal, smoking wood chunks, smoking pellets for the hot/cold smoker, heat proof gloves, gas torch for lighting charcoal, pizza peel, some Lodge cast iron, pink butcher paper, and some rubs and sauces. That way- it is game on straight away!

Sounds like you are set and ready to go! It is going to go great!

It's here! Although, as always- life is never simple; despite telling them I wouldn't be home between 11am-12pm- they of course came at 11:30am!

So I was juggling being at the vet; pouring rain; home-schooling two kids during our current Melbourne lock-down; all while a delivery driver idled outside my driveway with a 600kg crate.

Nevertheless- part 1 is a success. A big box in my garage...

IMG_2442.jpg

IMG_2443.jpg

IMG_2445.jpg

Edited by remi
  • Like 5

Hopefully find an hour or two in the evenings once kids are in bed to start taking off packaging and dismantling top of crate etc. over the next few nights. Builder going to pop by Friday afternoon/ Saturday morning to sure up/ check deck and help ramp it into place... 

• Like 2

Yep- kids had a lot of fun ripping off all of the plastic and cardboard! Removed the ramp from the top- may try and take the crate off tonight; but the wife is quite small so not sure how much strength will be required to lift it up and over... If it seems to tricky, I may just crowbar one side off and tilt off instead.

Lovely to get a good view of those sleek black tiles!

IMG_2448.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1