remi

Incoming 32"BB to Melbourne, Australia

Progress...

One thing I would be happy to have some clarification about (not clear from the manual or videos posted)- how do you remove the wooden supports that the 4 feet sit on? Manual says to crowbar them off, but as the KK's weight seems to be on them, I'm not sure how that is meant to work?

64501312555__D04504CB-CB8C-4D7C-B1F6-2131E939BEDC.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

Having had a better look- I now see that the little surrounds around the feet can be separated from the flat square that they sit on; I had thought it was all one piece, hence my question. Thanks Tony- yes, I'd gathered that the box underneath can be easily destroyed, but was confused about the feet pieces..

9 hours ago, alimac23 said:

How did you go over the weekend remi, did you get any further with the uncrating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep- today was the day. Our builder came by with his sons- had it ramped up and off the base no troubles at all. Into position and all unpacked; bit late to contemplate cooking, but thinking about burn in and pizzas tomorrow...

IMG_2501.jpg

IMG_2502.jpg

IMG_2504.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Also- if anyone could clarify exactly which way the basket splitter pieces fit together (orientation of the vertical baffle scalloped side etc), I'd appreciate it. I can see how it generally goes together... but would appreciate nailing the details

Woohoo, looking great remi!

Excited for you tomorrow, it’s a great experience the first cook.

I’ll take some pics for you tomorrow of the verticals baffle and splitter pieces, my KK is screaming hot at the moment, after cooking wagyu burgers for dinner tonight :)

• Like 2

I tried to paste a link directly to the Instagram video BOC is referring to but could not.

Here is the link to tekobo’s 2020 post:

“Found it!  This is a short video of the sliding basket config for the 32.   https://www.instagram.com/p/BtmADV0nkz0/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet “

Makes sense to me.  Hope it helps, Remi.

Raining here now so I’ll wait to put mine in place.

Edited by braindoc
Could not paste link

34 minutes ago, braindoc said:

I tried to paste a link directly to the Instagram video BOC is referring to but could not.

Here is the link to tekobo’s 2020 post:

“Found it!  This is a short video of the sliding basket config for the 32.   https://www.instagram.com/p/BtmADV0nkz0/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet “

Makes sense to me.  Hope it helps, Remi.

Raining here now so I’ll wait to put mine in place.

Thanks- yes, have seen that video- but as mentioned the pieces look different now. The vertical splitter wall is not a flat piece of steel, but scolloped in shape; and am trying to work out which way it is meant to face to lock in the splitter pieces most efficiently... I'll take a photo later.

Yeah, mine has the scallops too. I’d have to piece it together in the basket to remember exactly…Once you get it in the basket it always seems obvious to me though, because of how the flat pieces fit into the scallops around the same height they are in the basket. That said, I never inquired if there was a true proper way, so I could have been doing it backwards this entire time as well.

So- did a long burn in today, and maiden pizza to use the heat. Great success.

A couple of questions arising from the day-

1. We talk of 'just off the gasket' for the top vent setting. I can feel the gasket friction for 90 degrees of turn from fully closed (but not over-tight) until I lose the feel of the gasket. So when people talk about 'a quarter turn open', are they generally referring to a 1/4 turn from fully closed, or a 1/4 turn from the point where you no longer feel any gasket friction at all. My sense was that this 90 degrees from fully closed position (just when I lose the friction) will be about right for my low and slow cooking.

2. I had the grill burning for around 9 hours, but as I had to go get the kids from school, I left it at around 400F prior to going for 500F for the 1-2 hour burn in. It would have sat at 400F a good couple of hours, so very well heat soaked- and when I got home, I put in the main and top grate and pizza stone and opened the top to 1.5 turns and the bottom a full 1/4 open (this setting had me shoot up to 500F previously)- but with the stone in place, it would not budge above 400F. I took the stone out- and within less than 5min was seeing >500F at the dome. Put the stone back in- 400F! Given how quickly it shot back up to 500F without the stone in place- am I right in thinking that the actual temp was closer to 500F all along, but shielding of the thermometer resulted in a falsely low reading? Certainly had solvent smell throughout...

And the obligatory photos of the first dinner from the KK...

Ham and cheese for the kids; pork/fennel sausage broccolini and chilli; salmon capers and spinach; and classic Margherita for us!

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

IMG_2512.jpg

IMG_2513.jpg

IMG_2514.jpg

• Like 4