Troble

Peruvian Pollo a la Brasa w/ Roasted Potatoes & Pervuian Green Sauce

Can anyone tell me why my chickens look like they have a farmers tan on the legs? It’s so strange. I had an even distribution of coals/heat and I used a couple of small pieces of mesquite wood spread out over the coals. I also used the leftover marinade to baste evenly every 30 minutes. Very strong with the flavor and marinade but curious as to why at the end there is such stark color differentiation. Looking back at my original post from February I see the same thing 

one thing to note was I was very pleased with the marinade and I think the additional of the Alesmith Speedway Stout certainly helped with the overall flavor. (Although drinking 13% beer might not be the best idea for cooking 😀

Edited by Troble
  • Haha 4

My best guess is that the legs aren't as thick as the rest of the bird and they don't have much fat, especially at the ends, so they will have a tendency to darken (burn) more so than the rest of the bird. One of the reason that you see folks putting AL foil on the ends of the legs of their Thanksgiving turkeys in the oven. 

If it's something that bothers you, you can always truss the legs together with butcher's twine, which will keep them closer to the body and not sticking out in the heat like antennae! 

Edited by tony b
  • Like 3

Troble I’d say your birds have been sitting in a bath.
All poultry in Australia has to be rinsed in a chlorine solution then rinsed again to kill salmonella. Health regs.
I’m not sure if this happens elsewhere.
The bottom half of yours seem more waterlogged than the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Thank you to @Troble for the Aji Panca and aji amarillo paste in the care package that he sent me a few months ago. I was not totally sure I was doing the right thing, but I blended all the ingredients in the list above the red potatoes recipe to make the marinade for the chicken.  I only decided to make this recipe late this morning and so did not have “overnight” to marinade the chicken.  They will have been marinading for about six hours by the time I need to start cooking.  

I remembered that @Troble‘s quantities are usually generous so I made up the marinade recipe for two chickens but applied it to three chickens.  I kept the cleaning up down by putting each chicken into its own bag, pouring in a third of the marinade and sealing with the vacuum sealer.  Here they are in the dry ager awaiting their fate.  

F358487E-94DE-48DE-B29F-0A1A8D6EF49B.thumb.jpeg.4c8323b0af20a8535282d218afa5abeb.jpeg

I also made up the Peruvian green sauce aka green crack.  It is sooo good.  Looking forward to uniting that nice cool sauce with hot rotisserie chicken later today.

• Like 7

Thank you.  @Troble, yet another winner of a recipe.  One set of friends are having their kitchen re-built so we gave them one chicken and sides and the other set of friends just happened to be visiting yesterday morning so I offered them the other chicken.  Once you are roti'ing one chicken  you might as well do three!  Here is the feedback they sent me afterwards:

No kitchen folk were brief:  

Phaaw 
Great supper!!!
Thanks 

We agreed that the dish went well with red wine.  

The other friends were more effusive:

Just eat? I get it now.:5️, would eat for free again. Thank you so much for a wonderful unexpected supper. I don’t know if the new rotation hack for the KK worked as desired, but the chicken was excellent. Not dry and beautifully spiced with the marinade. The ‘comes with’ was lovely too. The yam was a lovely surprise and worked so well with the sauce (as did everything else) and the carrots beautifully sweet. Excellent—would order again.

So, if you have not yet tried this recipe - what are you waiting for?

• Like 8